What are you reading?

by damselfly 89 Replies latest social entertainment

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

My desk is littered with a mixed bag at the moment.

Stop Aging Now - Jean Carper

Grow Younger, Love Longer - Deepak Chopra

Accessorry To Murder - Randall Terry

Six Hours One Friday - Lucado

God Came Near - Lucado

Earl Mindell's Supplement Bible

April 4 Sports Illustrated [Master's Preview issue]

Jeff

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Currently reading, depending on my mood:

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Tying Rocks to Clouds, Meetings and Conversations with Wise and Spiritual People by William Elliott

Crisis of Conscience by Raymond Franz

Some feminist books a girlfriend lent to me to enlighten me (one of them was the Vagina Monologues, which I just finished).

Full House by Janet Evanovich (purely for when I just want to laugh; Evanovich has a great sense of humor that comes through in her writing.)

The Red Tent is on my bookshelf and list to read. I'm looking forward to it.

I have piles of books at home and now that I don't have to read the daily text everyday and read the NWT everyday and the WT and Awake magazines, I have time to read the books I want to read and learn what I choose to learn.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am currently reading Diana Gabaldon's newest book in the Outlander series, "A Breath of Snow and Ashes". I'm about halfway through it. It's almost 1000 pages.

Next is Michael Crichton's book about global warming, a novel called "State of Fear" where he claims global warming isn't really happening and is merely the latest fad. Lots of documentation for his research.

Next is "The Secret Supper" by Javier Sierra, about Da Vinci's painting, The Last Supper, and the hidden things in the painting, like Plato and Da Vinci himself. I saw the author on a local talk show and bought the book.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Today I was reading a health book about why frying food is not healthy if the temperature goes over 160 celsius (320 F) it's due to the creation of acrylamides. In chips and french fries there are plenty of these, in restaurants using the same oil many times is particularly bad.

• jw
    jw

Dispatches from the Edge: A Memoir of War, Disasters, and Survival
    By Anderson Cooper

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I'm reading Peyton Place by Grace Metalious.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I am currently reading "Bad News Religion" by Greg Albrecht from Plain Truth Ministries. After that I plan on getting some light summer reads to take down to the beach with me. Any recomendations for good summer books?

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

Right now I am re-reading "The Memoirs of Cleopatra" by Margaret George.

I can also recommend The Red Tent - that is an excellent book I have read more than once!

Fiction on my list to purchase/read this summer:

Irish Stew (Nuala McGrail Mystery) by Andrew Greeley

The Golden One (Ameila Peabody Mystery) - Elizabeth Peters

A Breath of Snow & Ashes - Diana Gabaldon

Non-fiction on my list:

We Band of Angels: The Untold Story of American Nurses Trapped on Bataan by the Japanese - Elizabeth M. Norman

Marley & Me: Life and Love With The World's Worst Dog - John Grogan

Nicholas and Alexandria by Robert K. Massie

• moanzy
    moanzy

I'm about to start The Davinci Code-Dan Brown

Then I've got Soul Signs-Rosemary Altea, A New Earth-Eckhart Tolle, Genesis of the Grail Kings-Laurence Gardner. After that I want to check out the Kaballa.

I read that book the Red Tent and it is so good. I cried in it!! I was thinking "Oh Dinah, I so know how you feel" It's amazing how you can be so affected by some of these characters.

Moanzy

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Two fascinating books (although not recent) I have read lately:

George Steiner, Martin Heidegger.

Michel Foucault, Histoire de la folie à l'âge classique (A History of Insanity in the Age of Reason).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit