News About 2006 Memorial

by Severus 185 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dino
    Dino

Thank you Randy!

The responses are so predictable when someone disputes mommy, but crap, let it roll.

Dino

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

I doubt the clueless killjoys who are trying to stop this* have posted much of interest or had any experience at all in successful marketing. It's very easy for lazy folk to sit back on their arse and knock people trying to actually do something. Sorry but you pikers give me the sh*ts and clearly have no idea how hard it is to set up and run something, especially a community minded project.

I have many years experence in the complete range of skills involved in taking a raw idea from conception to a successful outcome. This little 'Watchtower Money" idea is a ripper. People love something tactile. Something they can touch, feel mull over. The idea of any advertising is to hold the recipients attention for as long as possible.

Condensing a years worth of 'flyer' marketing jargon into one plain speak sentence I'd say that: Pieces of paper crowded with written text quickly find thier way to the nearest trash bin. Ones with pictures hold the attention a little longer - ones that engage our emotions even longer and ones with humour are remembered longest.

unclebruce

ps: Some have jumped in this thread and said dumb things like: "Don't knock yourself out ... blah blah.." Well excuse me, I work hard for a living .. pressing the print button on this thing and cutting up an A4 sheet of paper does not constitute anything resembling hard work. - sheesh!

*(yes, don't argue. it's a proven fact - negativity kills)

print this:

alt

• gumby
    gumby

I think this has been one of the hardest threads for me to post on.

I'd have to say my first instincts were with Undercover, Scully, Mulan, and some others. It still pretty much is....but.

I have been out since 95 ( dfed in 94)...and have lost touch with the mentality of Jehovah's Witnesses to give a good opinion. If I thought this campaign was effective to a degree GREATER than the damage it could do ...as far as how witnesses would reaffirm in their own minds that.." the end is closer and apostates are in epidemic proportions", then I'd go for the idea.

My gut feeling says a positive impact will not be greater than the damage it may bring. My family and friends in the organisation still hold me dear( I know they do), and they are tolerent to me in that I feel lucky, but these campaigns take away credibility in the minds of the witnesses of the fact that disenters can leave.... and still be sane.

I realise they have destroyed lives and families, I just want to "do it" the best way possible. If this campaign works, I suppose it would inpire many more ideas and may be a good thing.

So, I say give it a try for a sample test and see if it works. Once can't hurt even if it fails. It's keeps their lawyers busy anyway....and that has to cost them money.

Gumby....goin out on a limb on this one

• Princess
    Princess
    Princess it really is too bad those pictures aren't on that thread anymore. The WT carved pumpkin was priceless.

Yeah I know. I used a cheap, crappy old digital to take them and I'm pretty sure they are long gone. It was good for a laugh anyway.

Uncle Bruce's post confuses me. Is anyone really trying to stop this? I didn't get that from the posts. Many don't think it will be effective or worth the effort, but I don't think anyone feels strongly enough to say "don't do it".

Gumby makes an interesting point:

My gut feeling says a positive impact will not be greater than the damage it may bring. My family and friends in the organisation still hold me dear( I know they do), and they are tolerent to me in that I feel lucky, but these campaigns take away credibility in the minds of the witnesses of the fact that disenters can leave.... and still be sane.

Something to think about anyway.

• Odrade
    Odrade

On the other hand, think of the cognitive dissonance when they meet an "opposer" who clearly is completely sane.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

hey, don't throw scully out with that bathwater you nut knocker! <--- I made me say that

I'd just ask anyone with negative brooding sentiment to read slowly and carefully what Randy has said above - the man comands more respect than most of us combined.

lightened up unclebruce

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

what's confusing about this princess: "negativity kills"

Of course out comes are never guaranteed with these things but a little negativity can spoil a barrel full of fun and good intent.

Please read Randy's post - slowly.

• gumby
    gumby

I must say, I too respect Randy's ideas as he has seen and heard of much more than most.

I'll put something another way. I'm not blowin my damn horn here either... but trying to makle a point.

As I said, my daughter, wife grandkids are all dubs in my hometown. I have buttloads of dub friends here who smile, talk, do buisness, and STILL treat me kind. They shouldn't, but they do. They KNOW Gumby doesn't give his wife a hard time about the mettings,,,,cuz dubs talk. My entire family...KNOWS, that Gumby is kind and nice to his family and friends and doesn't make anti-dub trouble. What's my point?

my point is, I feel confident that as soon as any of them begin to have doubts about the Organisation, or really begin to question it, they might come and see Gumby. If my wife or daughter ever wants to talk "in private" about things they question in the organisation......they know they can talk to me. If I were a loud anti-dub, sign carrying, picketing, letter sending, phone calling trouble maker....I'd never have a chance. I'm not the type. I'll have to operate different.

If other methods are working for others since their situation is different.......then let it be done. Whatever it takes.

Gumby

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Gumby, my good friend...that was a very sobering & balanced post.

However, the "credibility" that apostates have with the majority of active JW's is practically -- nil anyway. Those may never be affected by "little" things like these checks, or other other things people may want to try. We all know JW's that will never...ever see what what we would like them to see.

There are others that could be shocked, amused or even emboldened that there is "somebody else out there" like themselves. Other folks that have had the same questions and...these people who printed these...might be at least a little organized (sorry for that word).

It's an experiment. I wish there could be some way to measure responses, if any, maybe an increase in site 'hits' right after a concerted effort. Something needs to get their attention, what better than the written word -- especially a short note reminding them about "google" & "blood" and maybe getting curious about that lady on the check, "Beth Sarim," I mean 'she' could get DF or such a "childish stunt."

Either way I am game to try something. So, I am still waiting for someone with some KH addresses.

I'm only mad at the WT, they killed my Mom. My kids shun me. They are my enemy...not you guys !

Rabbit

• wednesday
    wednesday

Gumby

I feel like I just met you. I can see your concerns and most diffently see where you are coming from.

Of course you want to keep the volume turned down with your family.. I'm so glad they are treating you well and your life is not a horror story. Of course for so many, it is different. And not b/c they are "rabid apostates" but just b/c they are no longer want to be a jws or are df or whatever. They could be the most sane, reasonable person in the world and their famly would still treat them like dog poop b/c they no longer want to be jws. But I know you know all this.

the old saying"if it works don't fix it". I'd say that sounds like that is the place you live in.

I am so glad for you.

weds

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit