Jesus = Ancient Pagan gods??

by Lilycurly 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Questions

Why would Jesus take on the persona or shadow some pagan belief so word for word?
    What credibility would he have?
    And why would he be better at it than the original who would have the advantage of religious mysticism?

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

So, hooberus, you have read each of these sources quoted and can answer unequivacably (I can say it, I just can't spell it!) that each one of them is deficit in the areas you outlined? Please cross reference, I'd like to see it. All your arguments seem to be generalizations. Be specific.

Generalizations are, alas, just that.

Sherry

• hooberus
    hooberus
    So, hooberus, you have read each of these sources quoted and can answer unequivacably (I can say it, I just can't spell it!) that each one of them is deficit in the areas you outlined? Please cross reference, I'd like to see it. All your arguments seem to be generalizations. Be specific.

Generalizations are, alas, just that.

Sherry

I have on previous threads on this subject gone into more detail see for example: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/63458/1.ashx Furthermore the links that I provided earlier address many more claimed specifics.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

hooberus, are you implying that all myths are new ideas, that some are new and some are borrowed, or that the Jesus Christ myth is the only true story?

steve

• skyman
    skyman

hooberus if you are still on line I have a question. were is all the outside support? If you say Josephus you are quoting a source that does not stand up under real scrutiny. His comments about Jesus was no doubt added later according to linguist the linguist prove that some other writer added the comments about Jesus. This is the only outside support I know for Jesus form the time of Jesus. There are other support for things written in the bible canon but not regarding Jesus. Everything else come after his time. Beside I believe a man lived that is known to us as Jesus Christians get their foundation from him.

• hooberus
    hooberus

For a discussion of references to Jesus outside the Bible see here:

http://www.tektonics.org/jesusexist/jesusexisthub.html

We conclude that we find three levels of source material:

• Highly reliable sources. There are two of these: Tacitus and Josephus.
    • Moderately reliable sources. We find three: Thallus, Pliny, and Lucian. For the matter of Thallus, please see also our link in our essay to Glenn Miller's essay on that subject, linked in our essay. (We will look at some objections to the Thallus cite.)
    • Marginally reliable or unreliable sources. Three are in this class: Suetonius, the letter of Mara Bar-Serapion, and the Talmud.

Another early source mentioned by Justin Martyr (147 A.D.) was a document apparenty extant in his day called the "Acts of Pontius Pilate" as a historical reference for the fact of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ by Pontius Pilate. Such a document would have been written near the time of the crucifixion event.

http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/ANF-01/anf01-46.htm#P3765_686292 The First Apology of Justin

Chapter XXXV.-Other Fulfilled Prophecies.

And the expression, "They pierced my hands and my feet," was used in reference to the nails of the cross which were fixed in His hands and feet. And after He was crucified they cast lots upon His vesture, and they that crucified Him parted it among them. And that these things did happen, you can ascertain from the Acts of Pontius Pilate. 71

71 aktwn . These Acts of Pontius Pilate, or regular accounts of his procedure sent by Pilate to the Emporer Tiberius, are supposed to have been destroyed at an early period, possibly in consequence of the unanswerable appeals which the Christians constantly made to them. There exists a forgery in imitation of these Acts. See Trollope.

• skyman
    skyman

Just as I said Tacitus was not form the time of Jesus. For example an event happened that led to the Nez Perce War history says it happen one way but the truth is different I personally know Indians that lived that long ago and they say history is wrong. These Indians lived thru the horrible march to Canada and they said that Chief Joseph and a few men murdered a salon lady in the town of White bird and this is the real reason the war started. So why does not history say anything about it because the historians want to make the Soldiers of the US look bad thus making the Indians look good. Yes I am a native American and proud of it. So you need to look at the history or lack of history for Jesus I suggest opening your mind and really looking into the evidence in the bible.Read first the book Misquoting Jesus this book will open your mind wide open.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Skyman:

Thank you!

Finally someone addresses the rather obtuse point I'm making about history.

History quite naturally is written after-the-fact, and only represents the events that are politically expedient to record, and in the manner so desired. Because of that it obsfucates many details, but often sheds light on some of the contemporary agendas.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

The book I'm reading right now is "Secrets of the daVinci Code" by Dan Burstein. According to the cover, it's a New York Times best seller.:P

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

So Tacitus would fall under this category:

2. The frequent use of post-christian pagan sources.

I guess you can't call it post christian, but it was certainly after the fact.

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit