Jesus = Ancient Pagan gods??

by Lilycurly 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    IP_SEC- You've been reading The Jesus Mysteries, right?

Yes Ive read it, Arrowstar loaned me the book some sometime back. Great read.

some of them can get downright nasty

this attitude is a hold over from when the UC tried to destroy paganism. Reason? There was only room for one godman religion in the world in their eyes. One of my favorite parallels is ritual bath initiation (baptism) and then initiation by holy pneuma (breath/spirit)

• daystar
    daystar

Yep, spot on. I prefer the Osiris version myself.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Interesting, isn't it?

For me the jury is still out, as to how it all pieces together. I don't believe in diabolical mimickry, though that's an interesting line of research if you consider that quite a number of ancient gods were grouped in trines. Did the "devil" introduce trines of gods in a mimickry of a Triune God?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Did the "devil" introduce trines of gods in a mimickry of a Triune God?

I didnt know masons believed in the trintiy

oops wrong thread, where are you rig boy

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ya never heard of JahBulOn?

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    Well, lol, don't she agree that the Egyptian myths are older then the Jesus story??

in my mothers world, jehoover came before everything else. any historical evidence (such as archeological findings or old scripts) is the work of the devil.

-------------------------------------------------

''dat is da work of da debil bobby bouche!''

-----------------------------------------------------

luv, jojo

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Much can be gleened by investigating Pauls motive (along with his close associates Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.) in splitting Jesus Nazarean Party and forming his new 'go easy on the Romans' group of Jewish diaspora coupled with Mithraian Greeks.

Early in Romans, under intense pressure from Jesus followers and heirs, Paul openly declared that he was not interested in promoting Jesus the man but only in his new boy, 'Christ the risen'.

I believe Pauls 'road to Damascus conversion' was a master stroke. It enabled him to complete his mission of stemming the money flow from the diaspora to the highly organised anti-rome forces of Palestine.

unclebruce

Recomended reading: The Messianic Legacy by Baigent & Lee

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Yep Lilycurly,

its all plagiarism of sorts. I would recommend having a little search on the origins of Christ, in terms of it becoming the religion de jure around the 4th century. Look at the political reasons, and social impact on the west.

Ultimately it all boils down to, if you repeat something long enough, you start to think its true.

steve

• gumby
    gumby

Here's a bit more on Mithra's.

Before you read this.....have you looked at biblical apologetics on this subject yet? Do you plan to?

Mithras had had twelve followers with whom he had shared a last sacramental meal. He had sacrificed himself to redeem mankind. Descending into the underworld, he had conquered death and had risen to life again on the third day. The holy day for this sun god was, of course, Sunday (Christians continued to follow the Jewish Sabbath until the fourth century). His many titles included ‘the Truth,’ ‘the Light,’ and ‘the Good Shepherd.’ For those who worshipped him, invoking the name of Mithras healed the sick and worked miracles. Mithras could dispense mercy and grant immortality; to his devotees he offered hope. By drinking his blood and eating his flesh (by proxy, from a slain bull) they too could conquer death. On a Day of Judgement those already dead would be raised back to life.

Popular Motifs

All this may surprise modern Christians but it was very familiar to the Church Fathers [See e.g. Justin, Origen, Tertullian], who filled their ‘Apologies’ with dubious rationales as to how Mithraism had anticipated the whole nine yards of Christianity centuries before the supposed arrival of Jesus – ‘diabolic mimicry by a prescient Satan’ being the standard explanation. Pagan critics were not slow to point to the truth: Christianity had simply copied the popular motifs of a competitive faith.

Mithras was proclaimed the principal patron of the empire by Aurelian in 274 AD (on December 25th he dedicated a temple to the sun-god in the Campus Martius). Mithraism was adopted by Diocletian in 307 AD and by Julian as late as 362 AD. The cult was driven from the scene over the next hundred years by furious and sustained attacks from Christianity.

Gumby

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    have you looked at biblical apologetics on this subject yet?

Gumshoe,

I tried to read A Case for Christ. I did, I really did but it was sooooo horridly boring. Do you have any good apologetics on this subject?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit