Jesus = Ancient Pagan gods??

by Lilycurly 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

I'm reading a book and this morning I got to a part where it claimed that the life of Jesus was very similar, if no downright copied on ancient pagan myths of different men-gods. (Amongst them Osiris, Dionysos, Attis, Adonis, Bacchus and Mithra.)

It said that in the different versions of the stories these elements could be found:

The character is god incarnated, the savior, the son of god.

His father is god and his mother a mortal virgin.

Born in a cave or stable on the 25th of december, in front of three sheperds.

Offers his followers to be born-again through baptism.

Changes water into wine at a wedding ceremony

Comes into a city, glorified, on the back of an ass, with people waving palm leaves in his honor.

Is sacrified on Easter to save the world from it's sins.

When he dies, goes down to sheol for three days then comes back to life and goes up to heavens.

Followers wait for his coming back in the last days.

His death and resurection are celebrated with a ritual meal of wine and bread, symbolising his blood and body.

How do christians explain the similitudes? The book mentioned that the first fathers of the church (Justin, Tertullien and Irénée) were troubled by the talk that was going on and were saying that the ressemblances were the fruit of demonic imitation. That the devil copied in anticipation, making the previous myths like the story of Jesus would be.

Any refutations? Things to add?

(By the way, this is just a discussion, I respect everyone, Bible beleivers or not.) Hppy Valentines day!

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

Lilycurly, You are spot on!! After extensive research this is also what I have found, after you finish reading your book, may I recommend the book "Ceasars Messiah, the Roman Consiracy to Invent Jesus", it is very interesting, it shows another angle to this mess, it shows how many similarities there were between Jesus's life and times and Titus's Military Campaign, a really good read!

IC

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Phew! I'm glad I'm not the only one here to have in interest in that. But why is it that so few people even heard about the subject??

I'll be sure to check out this book you mentioned, sounds interesting!

• Balsam
    Balsam

Your right and I've read several books about the messiah teachings of other religious cultures. Jesus was likely a real person but the stories that deveoped about him were products of early Christians.

The Christ Conspiracy: The Greatest Story Ever Sold (Paperback)by Acharya S

The Jesus Puzzle: Did Christianity Begin with a Mythical Christ? Challenging the Existence of an Historical Jesus (Paperback)by Earl Doherty

The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? (Paperback)by Timothy Freke , Peter Gandy

Jesus and the Lost Goddess : The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians (Paperback)by Timothy Freke , Peter Gandy

The Laughing Jesus : Religious Lies and Gnostic Wisdom (Hardcover)by Timothy Freke , Peter Gandy

What the Bleep Do We Know!? (2004) Starring: Marlee Matlin, Elaine Hendrix Director: William Arntz, Betsy Chasse Rating: r

There are some of us on here who have explored this, but it makes people who still fully believe the bible to be the word of God uncomfortable.

I've read the books above and many others on the topic. I was in shock after leaving the JW's then learning this in general about the bible I held in such high esteem.

You can PM me and we can talk more if you want. We'll probably get some pissed off Christians on here condemning us to hell. LOL

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Ah! Yes, well the book I'm reading is researches concerning the DaVinci code. To discover what is fiction and what is real in the novel. And it uses several other books on the subject and the one they mention this idea from is "the Jesus Mysteries: Was the original Jesus a Pagan god?" makes me want to read it.:)

I really don't mind fanatics posting here and smothing us all, lol, in fact I hope they will, if it comes with valid arguments.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

good post lily!

i remeber reading about osiris for the first time, and i pointed out the similartities between that story and the one of jeebus to my mother. she quickly told me that it was pagans trying to steal our stories from us.

luv, jojo

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    she quickly told me that it was pagans trying to steal our stories

Thats a common reaction. The early church called it diabolical mimicry. Its funny, the pagans thought the passion and other jesus stories were not very good retellings of there own storys.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Well I'm a pagan and this is one reason why I don't mind telling christians that I think we are all on the same path, we just see it a different way. But let me tell you, they don't like to see behind that curtain, they like their legend just fine and some of them can get downright nasty about it if you attempt to let them in on secrets like the one you mention.

Sherry

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Well, lol, don't she agree that the Egyptian myths are older then the Jesus story??

IP_SEC- You've been reading The Jesus Mysteries, right? The words you use are really ringing a bell!

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Tom Harpur's The Pagan Christ makes most of those same parallels. Its a very easy read and should be in most public libraries. But, like me, you may be disappointed by how it doesn't go into much depth, which IMHO makes other books like The Jesus Mysteries more interesting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit