Do you support gay marriage?

by chappy 114 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

LT - In the Supreme Court Case of Brown -vs- the Board of Education, which was about segregation, it was argued that "separate but equal does not make equal". That was held to be true and segregation was found to be unconstitutional. I think this is no different. Its taking segregation to a whole new level for gays to have a different type of "marriage" than others.

Personally I don't know what straight people are so proud of. The institution of marriage isn't too sacred to have TV shows like: Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire, or Who Wants to Marry my Dad. It has a 50% divorce rate. TV shows like Oprah and Dr. Phil show married couples fighting over money, the kids, adultery, divorce, domestic violence.

There are many gay people such as myself who personally would not choose marriage for many of those reasons (at least at this point in my life). We should at least have that option just like anyone else. However being held as a separate and lesser human by either not allowing marriage at all or calling it something less is to say that gays are substandard. I have to argue with that.

Sherry

• skyman
    skyman

My question is why do they want to get married? Can they not just go to a lawyer and state in writing everything they want like: My partner owns half of everything I own, He or she has the right to make decision on my behalf equal to the rights of a spouse...

Is that not the what they want? My uncle is Gay and he has been ostrisize by the family. He molested some brothers, but i have to tell the truth this bothers me but what he did really bothers me he did it to boys and not young sisters more than he molested people if he did it to young sisters I could understand that he was a very weak sick person.

My uncle and his partner want to come and visit us before he is to old make the trip, I am torn. He hurt others because he thought they were old enough to make up their mind about life. He was wrong because he was an authority figure and they did not want to go against an Elder they looked up to. He feels he was trapped by the Society and the public he claims if his life style was excepted he never would of had sex we sixteen and seventeen year old boys.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sherry:

Personally I don't know what straight people are so proud of.

Now, now. Lets not generalise. That's a little akin to saying that all Gay folk have a weak handshake

Skyman:

My question is why do they want to get married?

Might I pose the question back at you? How would you feel if you were being segregated, regarding marriage, due to some alleged difference from the majority of the population (e.g. having too small a nose).

• skyman
    skyman

If I was Gay I would feel the same way. But lets face the truth the gay community is always in the face of the straight community and most straight people are disgusted by the preconceived idea that the way they have sex is a violation of nature. I see it as a violent act not a loving act that I enjoy with my wife.

As I have stated I know I am wrong here. I have a friend that is gay and we have went to the bar and had some drinks a time or two. But I feel funny when I am around him, I feel like a fake. For example tomorrow I am having a Super Bowl party and I did not invite him. Before I knew he was gay I had no problem at all with him. I am sorry world I am having a hard time getting over my attitude but I am trying.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

So if your family member had molested young girls you would have felt this was better than molesting young boys?!?

That statement makes me sick to my stomach. It truly does. Is "straight" rape less disgusting than "gay" rape?

Gay sex a "violent act", not a "loving act". Again are you watching too many prison rape scenes from the TV show Oz?!? How are what two gay men, or gay woman any different from straight couples. According to Kinsey over 40% of all women have engaged in anal sex w/ their male partners. Because two married straight folks prefer to use an additional orfice for sex, does this make their relationship void because they have committed a "violent" act in your book?

You say that gay people are all in straight people's face. Yet a close friend of yours only recently "came out". Again, is that being "in your face"? So if he keeps it from you, he must be ashamed of his own sexuality and therefore is wrong. If he tells you then he is "in your face" with it and therefore wrong. Do you see the contradiction?

The way I see it, is that your gay friend has now given you a chance to get to know the REAL him. You now have a chance to maybe ask strange questions you've always wanted to. He's trust you. Now you want to turn your back on him and ignore him. You have a chance to really challenge some assumptions. What you do with this opportunity is up to you.

Hopefully, you don't feel this is an attack. You've been brave enough to admit what I'm sure is a very common feeling amongst many who fear gays. Remember, we usually fear what we do not understand. Here's your chance to confront your fear and make a bold step in a new direction. Fear sucks, we lived in fear for way too long as JW's.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

You've missed my point, Skyman. How would you feel if you were to be deprived of marriage?

Further, can you tell me what's violent about a lesbian sex act?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Two consenting adults should have the right to have legal status by marriage. One day, decades from now, people will look back on this issue with the same incredulity with which we now view slavery.

I would be delighted to stand before God with my greatest crime being that I loved someone.

"A toast before we go into battle. True love. In whatever shape or form it may come. May we all in our dotage be proud to say 'l was adored once, too.' -- Four Weddings and a Funeral

• joelbear
    joelbear

i just want people to throw rice at me.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

LT, I have to say that I had to stop a minute this morning and look at why this was getting to me. I don't usually let it. I guess sometimes it just seems to pile up and so I said what I did out of frustration. Thanks for calling me on it.

Skyman, to you I have to say this... at first what you said disgusted me, because you would be so superficial to lose a friendship over this. But then I realized that you are confronting your prejudices and admiting them. Thats the first step. Sometimes these things are a bit irrational and we don't even know why we feel the way we do.

My son had a big issue with me when I first came out. He didn't talk to me for over a year. In fact he sent me a hateful letter and told me that if I ever tried to contact him again he would return my letters and not take my phone calls. He was not a witness, he was just prejudiced. I had told him that I had not changed who I am. I am the same person I always have been, the biggest difference is that I'm now true to myself and happier. Still the letter came and it hurt me deeply.

So I sent him cards on his birthday, christmas, valentines day, etc. But I didn't put on my return address so that I wouldn't get "return to sender." I didn't beg, I didn't plead, I just said, Love, Mom. So one day I got a phone call. It was Mike and he was crying and needed someome to talk to. He said he realized I was the one he could always talk to and that I didn't cut him off, he had chosen to deprive himself of my friendship and that he was sorry and asked me to forgive him. Of course I said yes.

So within a few days he had come over on a visit, and within a month and a half he had moved over here. One day we were walking around on Capital HIll (the gay district in Seattle). I took him into a gay shop. I could see that he was uncomfortable. So when we left I asked him about it. He said, mom there are lots of cute girls up here and I don't want them to think I'm gay. So I said, "do you know when someone is gay?" He said, usually. I said well let me tell you, they can tell you are not gay too. He said, I never thought of it that way. He now is so cool about it, he even goes to gay bars with a bunch of friends sometimes because for some strange reason they're more fun.

Anyway, there are two reasons for me telling you that story. One is that when I came out I found out who my true friends were and who my superficial friends were. The other thing is that because your friend is gay doesn't make him attracted to you. I know that you are not attracted to every single woman. Just wanted to clear that up for you!

And, again, I commend you for looking at your feelings around this and trying to come to terms with it. I think thats progress. We're all a work in progress, I know I am.

Sherry

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

An' it harm none, do what you will. From another perspective, would you want them to support you in your lifestyle choices, whether marital, religious or sexual preferences? Then what harm in supporting them? ("Do unto others.....")

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit