Why I'll never see 'Brokeback Mountain'

by yaddayadda 98 Replies latest jw friends

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip

ok, i'll comment without ever having seen the movie too.

"brokeback mountain" isn't a guy movie.

"brokeback mountain" isn't a chickflick.

"brokeback mountain" isn't mainstream america.

"brokeback mountain" isn't "cool" to watch.

why didn't they make the characters two dirty sweaty guys fighting off the "gooks" in vietnam? why didn't they sprinkle the "human love" story with machine guns and napalm? throw some seedy scenes of the "boys" watching trampy hookers take it all off. generate some interest from the male hetero popuplation? maybe if they did more straight guys would wanna watch.

why didn't they make one of the characters a beautiful girl disguised as a guy who falls in love with another guy who happens to be gay who falls in love with a person he thinks is a guy but turns out to be a beautiful girl? that would have made a better story for us girls. throw in some shopping scenes. a great scene where the girl reveals her true identity and the real gay guy abandons his "gayness" and falls head over heels in love with the girl and they live happily ever after.

or for the bible belt americans...these two gay guys can "come to the lord" (no pun intended) and leave behind (again no pun) their satanic homosexual sickness and ride bicycles donning name badges and crisp white shirts into the sunset?

what were the movie people thinking? making a movie that regular guys don't want to watch. women aren't really interested and 95% of god fearing americans shouldn't watch?

hmmm

maybe there's been a societal shift in the last 10 years. and women love gay shows...and guys are starting to tolerate it...and bible thumpers are softening their views.

i'm not sure.

what i do know. it's only a movie people.

but, then woodstock was only another concert.

somewhere in the future we may look back at brokeback as a mainstream eye opener.

or not.

oh and btw stillajwexelder i'm flattered lol

inserts gratuitous boob flash for the heteros:

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Again, the point is, Hollywood missed the point... not many gay sheepherders out there... I guess our society isnt ready for the 'truth' about sheep.........

Yes, Hillbilly, a sad commentary on this uptight society. eh? And who suffers the most (well, besides the sheep)? The gay sheepherders who can't interact in society the way the straight world does! You ever see a guy taking a sheep to dinner and a movie? Heck, no!

BTW, I really wanted to like this movie because I like love stories and the two guys are both so danged cute. I had my kleenex and a glass of wine ready. But the characters just never quite grabbed me. Nothing offensive, really. Just not that good. Not enough character development. But the major hype is going to result in an Oscar, you can bet.

Life will be a lot easier if folks (and sheep) just get over the gay thing. It is here to stay.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Thank you Ms Whip.............. (averts eyes and stubles away, ala Festus)

~Hill (never met a gay cowboy class)

• joelbear
    joelbear

okay now that i am recovered from the boob shot.

its just a movie. its just a story. its a story that hasn't been told on film. there are a lot more gay stories that have not been done on film. there are tons of coming out stories, but they are all about teenagers. there are 1000s of stories seen from the gay man's angle and gay woman's angle that haven't been told. are people interested in them? i think they probably are if they are well done and i think this movie proves that.

there is a great book about two pro baseball players that fall in love, i'll bet that is the next one we see that gets tons of press. i read it about 10 years ago. its a great story.

there has actually been a story about a bear gay man, made in spain, but fantastic, called A Bear Cub. its a gritty, true story, it should have gone on my top 10 list. argh.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

a film about the only gays in the countryside? i'll think i'll give it a miss too.

very ghey......... ¬

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    a story about a bear gay man,

are you sure that isn't a bare gay man?

• joelbear
    joelbear

see, this is something that is sad. gay people don't put straight people down or refuse to go see movies about them, or root for them to succeed in marriage and with their kids even though all these things are totally foreign to our experience as humans. we don't mind you being who you are and being happy, even while at the same time many of you don't hope the same for us.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I don't like liver. It grosses me out. I wonder if that makes me a liverphobe?

Me too. I'm a hepatophobe and proud. The smell, taste and texture of liver are absolutely disgusting. It's unnatural. The liver is an organ for processing toxins, not a food. It produces bile, for gods' sake! Is that the sort of thing you want to put in your mouth, much less chew and swallow?

But with today's liberal food industry, backed by meat producers, liver is practically shoved down our throats. It's hard to go to a restaurant without seeing liver on the menu (although it's often disguised using foreign terms like "foie gras"), or even worse, somebody shamelessly eating it - and sometimes in family restaurants. It makes me sick.

If somebody wants to eat liver in the privacy of their own home, that's between them and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. But now, hepatophages are openly eating liver, and even encouraging children to eat it. I think that's wrong and disgusting. And if that makes me a small-minded bigoted moron, then so be it

[End of subtly sarcastic diatribe]

The above is a parody, but to be honest, I'd rather see two men making out in front of me while I'm eating, than see someone eating liver (for both aesthetic and moral reasons).

• lilybird
    lilybird

I watched a movie made in the late 70's dealing with this topic. It was a made for TV movie starring Kate Jackson , who had just shortly left Charlies Angels. She was married to a man who was secretly gay, The husbands character was played by a 70's hottie actor of the time,, I think Randy Mantooth ..not sure.. Anyways, it dealt with him coming to terms with loving another man and telling his wife(Kate Jackson)that he was leaving her for the man he loved. It was well told and I thought very openminded for its time... It really told how some men tried to live life society dictated for them,, and his decision to live with his gay lover............. Also a really good movie made a year or so ago called...Far from Heaven.. with Dennis Quaid as a husband in the1950's who is in love with another man..If you haven't watched that movie,, it is really well made.. also deals with other issues of that era, not just a gay husband....

• Mulan
    Mulan

I didn't read the posts in this thread, but thought I would reply anyway.

I am not interested in seeing it either. I am not homophobic, but I am just not entertained by homosexuality. I have a niece who is gay, that I love dearly and it makes no difference to me that she is gay. I have several men friends who are gay.

Just as I am not entertained by watching explicit heterosexual love scenes, I feel the same about explicity homosexual love scenes. I think Will and Grace is hysterical and other gay themed shows are fine, but spare me the details. As I said, I feel the same about heterosexual scenes.

I'm old.................or getting there anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit