WTS vs Quotes: Requiem for a Research Web Site

by Quotes 201 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I'd just like to say Thanks, Quotes, for all your hard work with the site. It was an invaluable resource. Glad there has been some resolution for you (although not totally the desired one).

I'll be keeping my eye open for the dozens of little cockroach nymph sites hopefully appearing on the web soon.

• onetwofour
    onetwofour

thanks, i've seen some of the stuff you had and it was pretty amazing.

PM me guys if you have mirror or news

• M.Bibleres
    M.Bibleres

mcsemike ,

I agree with you!

• skin
  • SWALKER
    SWALKER

Can't really add to all that's been said already...but can say Thanks!!!

Swalker

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Quotes, thank you for everything you've done. Your site has been priceless to us.

I hate the WTS.

• phoibos_2
    phoibos_2

The mirror may be temporarily down but i work on a permanent solution..

• observador
    observador

I know we are all angry with the WT for closing QUOTES - and understandably so, but we have to keep our cool and fight them with our brains. This is a "war" that will require very smart, calculated moves. By closing QUOTES, the Society has shown signs of desperation. The war against such a cult has the potential to be long and will require of us patience.

If any of you remember, my daughter was raped at 9 years old by a pedophile "brother" known to them. I have a degree in psychology and am writing a book on the effects of the WT's policies on people, specializing in child abuse and family breakdown.

This is such an effective and wonderful way of fighting them. Please let us know when the book is out.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Greetings!

This is a terrible thing and a bad precedent for both those who wish to challenge the Society and for the Society too. My heart goes out to Peter and I am glad that I got my CD a long while ago. I have just a couple of comments:

1. I know that the case never got to court, but if the case had been brought to court in the U.S., Peter probably would have lost the case. Here's why. The doctrine of fair use requires that some "comment" (scientific, artistic, critical, etc.) be made upon the excerpted copyrighted material in order for it to be a permissable use. Peter's approach of using the material without any commenting upon it, while amirable in its objectivity, would probably have run afoul of copyright law in my opinion. (I don't know but suspect that Canadian law might be similar in that it requires some commentary upon the copyrighted material for it to be ok.)

2. I noticed that the settement agreement included WATCH TOWER, WATCHTOWER, AWAKE, and JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES "among the terms it has copyrighted (presumably in Canada) and that the agreement is binding "worldwide."

Just for your info a search of the USPTO reveals that "Watchtower," "Awake" (without the "!") are not the trademark/servicemark/wordmark, etc. of the Society in all cases and uses. I could not find that "Jehovah's Witnesses" was a registered mark at all even for a website.

But even so, persons with these names, including this domain/website - Simon - may wish to begin planning now to defend any attack by the Society to shut down their website.

-Eduardo Leaton Jr., Esq.

• luna2
    luna2

Just read all of this. Wow!

Kind of thought that this might be too much for a lone individual (who is not a millionaire) to deal with. It really is too bad that justice is dependant upon how much money a person has. The WTS is merely a publishing company promoting a religious scam for power and money. Disgusting. It's sad that fleecing people in this way is not illegal.

I'm happy that this lawsuit is no longer hanging over your head, Quotes. You obviously wounded those hypocrites in their white-washed graves. Excellent job! You can be proud of what you accomplished and now move ahead with your life. Thank you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit