Elders/ex-Elders, is lying to achieve a JC okay?

by AuldSoul 101 Replies latest members private

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I got a call asking whether I'd be willing to meet with three brothers at the KH. I asked specifically if it was a JC and was told that it wasn't.

Never having been an elder, is it okay to lie about something like that when directly asked?

AuldSoul

• Gopher
    Gopher

I never made it to "elder", but was an MS. Usually if elders in a non-judicial setting need to determine facts, they only need 2 elders, so that they can verify what was said and it doesn't turn into a "my word versus his word" situation.

The number 3 sounds like a committee to me.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I'm aware of the difference in an investigative group, gopher. That's what is prompting the question. Would an elder be able/encouraged to lie outright when asked directly whether this is a judicial committee?

In this case, I am not aware of any Scriptural sin I have committed and feel confident I can defend myself Scripturally against anything they try to assert as a sin.

AuldSoul

• ackack
    ackack

Interestingly, I've seen some tactics like this used. For instance, one friend of mine was asked to meet for a sheparding call which actually was a pre-JC information gathering session.

I too was asked to come to a meeting to "help me" but what was actually a JC. (I only found this out through direct interogation of an elder)

I think there is some caution that anything like this could be a pre-JC meeting.

ackack

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Never having been an elder, is it okay to lie about something like that when directly asked?

I've never been an elder either, but the first thing that comes to mind is "theocratic warefare strategy". For them, it's not necessary to be truthful to someone who, in their opinion, is not entitled to know the truth.

I suggest getting one of these:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_vr_digitalrecorders.asp

W

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Thanks, ackack!

Got caution covered. I'm all over that. Just wondering whether there is a chance that it could be a JC without them having to say so. Pre-JC I think I can handle with modest facility.

Hoping some elders/ex-elders will jump in soon to advise...I was told this was a meeting to just get to know me better.

AuldSoul

• blondie
    blondie

1 brother - safe, just make sure he doesn't have someone else on the line or has his cell phone on.

2 brothers - 2 witnesses against anything you say as only one person

3 brothers - why 3 if it is not a judicial meeting?

Some elders will lie. I know of some who told the person that 2 other people had fingered them when they had no proof. (Think they're police, eh?)

Blondie

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Scripturally no

common sense says no

would Jesus -NO

Ahh - but you forgot about Theocratic Warfare Strategy

• minimus
    minimus

3 usually = JC. Don't go. tell them your busy or simply that you just don't want to meet. IF THEY WON'T BE specific, I'd tell them seeya.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

If it were me, I would be very suspicious. A meeting with a couple of elders is usually for information gathering, but 3? sounds like a jc to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit