Elders/ex-Elders, is lying to achieve a JC okay?

by AuldSoul 101 Replies latest members private

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Ex elder here!

When I was in, we didn't know about so-called theocratic warfare. The other elders (even though a couple were idiots) I was on JC's with never resorted to lying or deception. But I guess things can and have changed.

My warning flag would be up if 3 of them wanted to meet with me. Tell them you don't trust their motives and you will only agree to meet with two of them someplace other than the KH. This way, the 3rd one can't "conveniently" drop by because he needed something from the KH library. Or you could tell them to put it in writing that this is only a shepherding call and have them sign it. Tell them you will sue each one as an individual if something other comes out of this meeting.

My number one advice is.............DON'T meet with them. They are up to no good.

HappyDad

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

As you are well aware I'm sure when the announcement is made they will say "AuldSoul is no longer a Jehovah Witness". If you want it known you DA'd then you will need to send letters to your friends and family BEFORE you give it to the elders. Your friends/family might throw your letter in the trash if the announcement has already been made.

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

never mind my post I just read about your DA announcement plan in the newspaper. LOL

• TheListener
    TheListener

Sorry to reply so late in the discussion. My advice is the same as many here.

Witnesses are good at believing they aren't lying by using some minor technicality. The point of the elder answering no it isn't a jc is fine, because that's how he currently views it. But, in his mind he knows that having three brothers there will allow for an instant jc to be formed even if such is not stated to you. In his mind he didn't lie. Plus all is fair in keeping the congregation clean.

imho I wouldn't go. Why bother? They aren't going to convince you of anything and you're not going to convince them of anything so what's the point? Unless it is to show your wife that you're trying to be good guy in all this.

They can and will construe whatever meaning they'd like to your words. Technically, if you da yourself before they let you know you've been df'd (not announced, just told to you) they should honor your da letter. But, each committee and body has its own unique way of dealing with these things. By meeting with them they may feel that you still consider yourself a part of the congregation (even with DA letter in hand) and decide that DFing you would have more impact than accepting your DA letter.

good luck with all this. I certainly don't envy you. PM me if you need to.

• Confession
    Confession

Hey, Auld Soul...

As a former elder, I'd concur with what the others are saying: "Judicial Committee? Noooo, nooo. We just want to get together with you." Three is a definite red flag. This "get together" can so easily morph into a Judicial Committee.

I feel I understand the spot you're in. I decided to move 2500 miles from home five months ago to avoid such a thing. So far so good. Before I let them DF me, I too will ensure all will know it was a Disassociation. I will most likely send letters. While it's true that many will throw them away, I submit that the temptation to read it will be too great. Some will "say" they threw it away, but will actually have read it--or at least read seven-eighths of it before doing so. Your idea of a newspaper ad--(or possibly a Letter to the Editor) wouldn't be a bad idea either.

My Best

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Thank you all SOOOO much!

I have revised my plans based on your thoughts. I believe I will just cancel this meeting and try and get the local paper to publish my DA letter in a Friday copy of the paper (usually the slow news day) in the Religion section.

That would cinch it.

AuldSoul

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Some good rules for handling interrogation:

1) Deny everything

2) Make counter-accusations

3) Respond to all questions with a question

WOW this sounds like the bastard elders at my appeal committee (kangaroo court).I suspect that elder (good/bad) behavior protocol is set by the scruples of the elder 'godfather' of the circuit.The boss was a thug and had 4 elder sons (croonies) spread out in 3 congregations.

• bennyk
    bennyk

AuldSoul,

My suggestion is that you not go at all. "Bearding the lion in his own den" may be lots of fun, but NOBODY can beard THREE lions... (i.e. "Three means JC.")

If you feel you must go, when things become troublesome, remind them of what was stated in the 15. May 2005 Watchtower article "Keep Yourself Restrained Under Evil", paragraph 11: "Jesus was not blind to the hypocrisy of those who were trying to entrap him. He did not allow opposers to lead him into fruitless debates... [At] times, Jesus simply did not answer when it was evident that no good would be accomplished by doing so. --Mark 15:2-5; Luke 22:67-70." Then WALK OUT.

Take care, my friend.

• ackack
    ackack

Auldsoul, did you publish your DA letter anywhere? Would love to take a look at it and see what you put. :)

ackack

• Forscher
    Forscher

AuldSoul, When I read stuff like this I am reminded of what one fellow here used to say about not validating their claims of "authority" over you. I can't remember who it was, but he always advised folks not to go to meetings, potential JC committees, or even send DA letters. When you do that, you are validating their "authority" over you and essentially asking their permission to go away. Why bother? Here, in the good 'ole USA, they have no more authority over you than you choose to give them. Unless you think it makes a gnat's ass worth of difference to you how you leave, I wouldn't bother with a JC or letter. Remember that the WTBTS has now changed the announcement so that nobody other than the JC committee will now know whether you left, or were "kicked out". So any personal satisfaction you get from DA'ng will be diminished by that. So I say, don't give THEM the satisfaction of an acknowledgment that they have ANY POWER over you. Treat THEM as if THEY ARE NOTHING TO YOU! Forscher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit