Elders/ex-Elders, is lying to achieve a JC okay?

by AuldSoul 101 Replies latest members private

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, but that direct and unqualified answer was verbal, and there were no witnesses. Therefore, technically, the lie was never told.

• sir82
    sir82

In Part 6 of my elders school notes, there was a statement that elders were supposed to use when pressed by non-JWs (examples given were "the press" and "attorneys") to comment on disfellowshippings.

The statement was read very fast and not repeated, but the gist was that "JW elders do not comment on the 'shepherding' that is given to any individual."

I.e., depending on whether the person inquiring "deserves the truth" (the famous cop-out for using "theocratic war strategy", aka lying), a judicial committee may also be considering "a shepherding visit" or "pastoral care".

It may be a stretch, but if the elder has recently attended the school, perhaps he has rationalized his statement as "no, its not a judicial meeting, but a shepherding call" (of course, if something "happens to come out" while doing the "shepherding call", why, how convenient that there just happens to be 3 elders there).

If you don't want to be D-Fed, I wouldn't go.

• blondie
    blondie

Blondie, no elder, but confidant of at least 15 elders over the years, including my husband. AS, if it makes my answer more credible, consider as direct from my husband.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Elders can play word games and hide behind their version of "truth".

So the elder said there IS not a judicial committee. Reminds me of what president Clinton once said -- what is your definition of "IS"?

There probably IS currently no JC, however based on any answers given them they will form one faster than you can say "the Watchtower is a non-prophet organization".

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Blondie: no elder, but confidant of at least 15 elders over the years, including my husband. ; AS, if it makes my answer more credible, consider as direct from my husband.

I didn't mean any offense at all. My mom has been the wife of an elder for some 40+ years, but that doesn't mean she knows the particulars of the ins and outs of the JC processes. In fact, I know for sure she doesn't. She has been surprised quite a few times in the last six months.

That you do makes a big difference. Thank you for your input.

AuldSoul

• xjwms
    xjwms

Only meet with one or two

I would not meet with three....I did that once, ... they said they had questions, .. too much gossip with my name attached.

No proof of anything, but, because of gossip, they put me on reproof, with restrictions, for almost two years.

Why did I put up with all that? I really was "IN", really "IN", what I thought the right religion...HA.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I didn't see all the posts here. May I speculate?

A three man investigative committee can instantaneously turn into a judicial meeting. If they feel they might have a tough time nailing you down to both an investigation followed by a judicial meeting, they might be trying to economize into a single session. Not technically how the GB instructs them to do, but most likely a cleaver ploy, since they can honestly say it is not a JC, then it abrubtly becomes a JC if the evidence it there.

Be careful - don't go.

Jeff

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    So, I asked whether this was a Judicial Committee and got a direct and unqualified "no." Can I trust that answer?

All the elder has to do is imagine that it is NOT a JC when everyone sits down, then it can evolve into one. In his mind, he answered honestly. Incorrectly, but honestly.

Dave

• xjwms
    xjwms

I agree with Dave

Honestly. Incorrectly, but honestly.

It happened to me. So I know.

• stillconcerned
    stillconcerned

yea, really.

Why go talk? To what end or purpose?

Why not fax, email, have hand-delivered your DA letter...

Even better, send it by cert'd mail, and keep your green card.

Then you can always prove when it was rec'd and what it said.

Georgia has speedy cert'd mail, last i used it...

kimberlee d. (born in Augusta, btw...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit