Scottish Festgoers...

by LittleToe 169 Replies latest members meetups

• Robdar
    Robdar

Bisous,

I would like meeting you also--for the same reasons. I'll pm you when I find out when I can get there.

Robyn

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Biscuits:
    You aren't the only one in that position. There are several who can't make both dates.
    How about if people start expressing their preference?

So far I think we have the following expressions of interest:

4th (maybe Glasgow???):

• LittleToe
    • Bisous
    • StillaJWExElder

25th (maybe Edinburgh???):

• LittleToe
    • Robdar
    • Gadget

Others, yet to express a preference:

• Ballistic
    • Bull01lay
    • Fifi
    • FrenchBabyFace
    • Qwerty
    • Reboot
    • Simon & Ang
    • Sirona

Robdar:Rosslyn Chapel is just a few miles South of Edinburgh. I can assure you it's well worth a visit...
    The train service is often impunctual, but it is extensive.

• Robdar
    Robdar

What are the roads like? Are they busy? Are there round-abouts? What side of the road do people drive in? Is it possible to rent cars on a hourly basis? Sorry to inundate you with questions.

Robyn

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Robyn:If you are thinking of Rosslyn, I wouldn't mind visiting it again, myself. Last time was a few years ago.

Car hire is comparatively expensive for anything less than a few days:
    http://www.europcar4easyjet.com/index.jsp?locale=EN

• fifi
    fifi

LT,

My preference would have to go to the 25th September as I have other things planned here in France on the weekend of the 4th and 5th.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Rosslyn sounds good, Ross. Let's plan on it.

Looking over flights, it seems that I would save over a hundred dollars to fly into Glasgow. I will take a train to Edinburgh if that is where we decided to meet. The weekend of the 25th and later is much better for me.

Where do the "highlands" start? Around Glasgow or Edinburgh? In between? Farther north?

Robyn

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Thanks Fifi. The more people respond with their preferences (now that we have two dates to work towards) the better idea we'll have of how it's all going to work out

Robyn:
    That's good to know.
    I don't think the Glasgow - Edinburgh train is that expensive.
    Further, folks travelling from England up to Edinburgh (on the M6) have to pretty much pass Glasgow to get to Edinburgh, so it may be that a lift becomes available.

Edinburgh and Glasgow are classed as the Central Belt. Below them are the lowlands, full of Sassenachs, and even worse is below them, with the dreaded ENGLISH!!!

The highlands are further to the North and West. Personally I count them as North of the city of Perth (which itself is an hour North of Edinburgh and Glasgow) and North of Loch Lomond, on the West coast (which includes Fort William, etc.). My definitions may have some bias, though

• Robdar
    Robdar

LT, thanks for clearing that up regarding the Highlands. Do trains travel there? Seems like they would. Is the Aura Borealis out and about this time of year?

Robyn *who is full of questions*

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Robyn:
    Trains and buses travel pretty much everywhere. Britain's public transport network is extensive and regular (though not always/often punctual).

The Northern lights are rarely seen at this time of year (actually they aren't that common, period), as they are seen in the far North, and at this time of year there isn't much darkness there at night. The increased opportunity to see them is one of the benefits of living in the Isles through the Winter

• Robdar
    Robdar
    The Northern lights are rarely seen at this time of year (actually they aren't that common, period), as they are seen in the far North, and at this time of year there isn't much darkness there at night. The increased opportunity to see them is one of the benefits of living in the Isles through the Winter

Dammit all! Oh, well, stranger things have happened--maybe there will be a display after all. I will keep a wait and see attitude.

Edited to add another question:

When is the rainy season? When I was in Wales in the summer of 2000, it rained the entire time. It wasn't until the minute that I crossed the English border that it stopped raining. It rained a lot in England too, btw.

Robyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit