Scottish Festgoers...

by LittleToe 169 Replies latest members meetups

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

LOL @LT!

I see the Freudian slip in your post!- totally shocked! This does not sit well with my deeply ingrained Calvanistic morality and ex JW hang ups.

I assume that the format is food and booze? I can recommend several eateries and hostelries (sp) - however does anybody have any particular preferences?

Ang - you can book rooms in the Strathclyde university halls of residence (John Anderson campus) for £26 per person per nite. They offer a variety of options and it is central for everything. There is a bus service from Glasgow airport direct to Buchanan Street Bus station and the residences are a 5 min walk from there.
    The accomodation is also of a good standard.

Have a look at their web page - http://www.strath.ac.uk They have an 'accomodation' section - have a browse and see what you think.

FF

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

FF:
    If we assume that most people are traveling on Saturday morning (4th), and returning sometime Sunday, what do you recommend in the City for Saturday afternoon / evening, and then perhaps somewhere different for Sunday lunch?

There are a number of TravelLodges and HolidayInns around, for couples and families.
    They run from £45/room and upwards.

I was going to suggest a pub or stroll around the city for the afternoon, then maybe a curry house for the evening, followed by a pub/club in the Student district. For Sunday I considered Braehead Mall.

I've never actually lived in the city, though, so there are no doubt better places to go.

• scotsman
    scotsman

An apostafest in Scotland? Can we cope? They sound frighteningly cultish. I'm away both those dates. But I have to ask, what's this with folks saying they can come to Glasgow but not Edinburgh when it takes about 15 mins longer to get here?! You sad sassenachs! Edinburgh is of course a much more beautiful city so you should all be coming here as Glasgow is just wet, violent and full of Weegie Neds.

As to suggestions where you could meet in Edinburgh... you're looking for somewhere liberal, cheap and the capacity to cope with a raucous group of exdubs... what about one of the big Chinese restaurants that do cheap all you can eat lunches before retiring to a pub (something a little more authentic than Frankensteins!) Jimmy Chungs on Grindlay Street (Usher Hall/Lothian Road). I'm not so good on accomodation... living here means I don't check in to many hotels... there are Travelodges in St Mary's St and Victoria St, an Ibis on Tron Square, Jury's Inn on Jeffrey St which are all central and, I imagine, cheaper. If I were here I would be delighted to drag you all round, droning on about the 17-20th century architecture of the city. Be thankful for small mercies.

Robyn, your questions are a delight and remind me of some I was posed when I was in the States 12 years ago:

Q. "Scotland? That's near Poland right?"

A. "Relatively speaking, yes."

Q. "Do you guys have refridgerators there? And TV too?"

If anyone finds some bargain B&B and wants it checked out for bed bugs and rats, I'm happy to be an inspector.

scotsman.

• Valis
    Valis

Hmmm...LT maybe you should just take them all up to Largs and camp behing the Coast Guard office.. Either that or in the cemetary...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gah!!!
    I had hoped, with the spread of dates, that it would have made it easier to attend.

Those are some fine suggestions, Scotsman, thank you. Would it look out of place if all of us descended on Chungs in Goth gear?

I'll get together a list of Websites, for both cities, so folks can browse them over the weekend.

• scotsman
    scotsman

For accommodation try www.visitscotland.com for a handy search facility.

• Angharad
    Angharad
    But I have to ask, what's this with folks saying they can come to Glasgow but not Edinburgh when it takes about 15 mins longer to get here?!

LOL Edinburgh is ok for us too, but we just cant make the 25th.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I have been looking at cheap flights around the UK and over to Paris or Ireland. I found this site:

www.ryanair.ie

Am I reading this right?

Airfare to Dublin:

Total Cost of Flightexcluding handling fee (if applicable) click here for new information
    on handling fees

23.74 GBP

Does the above mean 23 pounds and 74 pence? If so, that equals 43.24 American Dollars. Dayum! That's a good price.

I think that I would like to fly to Dublin or Paris for a day. If anybody wants to meet up, you can pm me. And if you don't want to meet in one of those places, you pick. I'll try to get there.

FBF, check out the prices:

From Paris to Glasgow and back with departures on Friday and then Sunday:

Total Cost of Flightexcluding handling fee (if applicable) click here for new information
    on handling fees

54.89 EUR

• scotsman
    scotsman

Robyn

Those prices are correct but you should be aware that Ryanair flights are to Glasgow Prestwick which is about 45mins south of Glasgow itself, and the flights to Paris are actually to Beauvais which is 1-2 hrs away from Paris.

Cheers.

• Xena
    Xena

Explains why they travel to other countries more than we do huh Robdar? I can't even get to Dallas for that price

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit