SHOULD I PIONEER OR COLLEGE?

by stillAwitness 93 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Spectre
    Spectre

Had to sign up for this one. For me it was never even an option for me at all to go to college. Never once was it brought up since they can't teach you in schools what you need to know in the new system and it all would have been irrelevant anyways because the world was supposed to have ended over 20 years ago. I even used it as an excuse to drop out of high school. I did start going to the local community college some years ago and over the years have got 2(almost 4) associates degrees. There is just a bit of resentment when I think back at the things that I wanted to do but was completely discouraged from doing. So to quote Joseph Campbell, "follow your bliss".

• Generic Man
    Generic Man

I'm 22 and going to college while still a baptised and considered 'in good standing' with the congregation. Don't let them con you out of your dreams.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

StillaWitness,

I just feel silly sometimes because I am undeclared.

Do they let freshmen declare a major?

I know of one college around here where that's not permitted until the sophmore year. I think. I thought that was the case everywhere. Anyway, it's not that big a deal to be undeclared until then. Mind you, I'm not speaking from experience – I have only a GED that I acquired 4 years ago (yes, I bought into the lie, too. I'm 50 years old).

gently feral

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Do you really want to spend your life peddleing information for the WBTS..Every magazine and book you place today,will be undermined by "New Light" tomorrow..
    GO to College!!!!!
    ...OUTLAW

• Kaput
    Kaput

AMEN!

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

You won't find too many serious posters here who would advise you to pioneer rather than go to college.

Go to college now while you have the chance to do so:

(i) This opportunity may never present itself again.

(ii) It is almost impossible to get a decent job without a university degree.

Points (i) and (ii) have already been learned the hard way by all too many of us:

- There would have to be literally millions of people around (both inside and outside of the "Truth") who have been hurt by the WTS bull<#$t about "the time left is short", "college will harm your faith", "the only way to have a satisfying life is to pioneer" ect. ect. ect. (or words to that effect).

- Bear in mind, too, that pioneering is not for everyone ; even not for most people, as witness the high drop-out rate of those entering the "Full Time Service."

At the end of the day, who is going to provide for you?

- The WTS sure as anything you like is not going to!

- You surely do not have to be a Rocket Scientist / Brain Surgeon ect. to figure out that you are entirely on your own when it comes to that.

(As Stevenson, in his 1967 book "1975 - Year of Doom" stated - ' No other religious group demands so much from its members, while in return giving so little back.')

No doubt you have been "assured" that Jehovah provides."

That one is a bit like the Dervishes in the Sudan:

-Their leader (The Mahdi) assured them that "their faith would make them bullet proof." However, if they did get themselves shot, "it was their own fault for not having enough faith."

Don't try to re-invent the wheel on this matter - learn from those of us who have already been hurt by the WTS lies and stupidity.

(Remember, stupidity has been described as "doing the same thing over and over again, while at the same time expecting different results to happen.")

My thoughts anyway, writing from the remote depths of a Third World country :

- where I am currently working; because without a degree, it is almost impossible to get a decent job in a developed country.

Jack.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Just read 4 years worth of Awake's and you'll HAVE a college education!

Go to college... Don't waste anymore time with this cult...

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

LOL! I'm just considered a non-baptized Publisher even though I don't publish since arriving at my very own "spiritual impasse" (meaning that I can no longer stand the hypocrisy) BUT, let me share one of the best JW jokes ever with you and then you decide about about college.

The PO at my hall is a school janitor, Elder #2 runs a carpet cleaning service and Elder #3 cleans and repairs furniture. I am a mechanical Engineer and am currently attending Law School. The thing is, these folks do not have the training, skill or intelligence required to maintain their flocks. They are unable to recognize when their advice causes damage and because of their other commitments are unable to follow up when they have caused harm to someone and don't know what to do anyway. PO has a DF'ed daughter and when I questioned him was quite proud in describing how he has cut off all contact with her as a result. Do you REALLY want to be active with people who dump their own kids over a disagreement?

Take a few Psych. courses in school and you'll see the JW's in a whole different light.

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Lets see what the WBTS archives have to say on this topic, shall we?

M any schools now have student counselors who encourage one to pursue higher education after high school, to pursue a career with a future in this system of things. Do not be influenced by them. Do not let them "brainwash" you with the Devil's propaganda to get ahead, to make something of yourself in this world. The world has very little time left! Any "future" this world offers is no future! ... Make pioneer service, the fulltime ministry, with the possibility of Bethel or missionary service your goal. This is a life that offers an everlasting future! - The Watchtower, March 15 1969

E xcellent advice by the WBTS, don’t you think? An 18 year old high school graduate considering obtaining a college education in 1969 would currently be 54 years old. If this person accepted the advice of the WBTS they would now be facing the reality of their imminent retirement. Hopefully the 36 years of fulltime pioneer service has contributed to a pension, annuity, 401K or some other savings to help financially in the years ahead. Jehovah certainly has a way of caring for his flock, doesn’t he?

• Kaput
    Kaput
    Jehovah certainly has a way of caring for his flock, doesn't he?

He sure does! Just think of the health benefits, too! Keep climbing those apartment house stairs and you WILL live forever!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit