SHOULD I PIONEER OR COLLEGE?

by stillAwitness 93 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Scully
    Scully

When I finished High School, I went to college for a couple of years. I knew what I wanted to do. The third year of college, which would have been my last, all of a sudden there was all kinds of pressure for me to quit and pioneer instead. I was supposed to do a hematology internship for 6 weeks with the Red Cross, and the Elders got into my business and told me I was taking a chance on being DFd if I went through with that internship. Someone even orchestrated getting me a job with a company that was owned by a JW to lure me out of finishing. So under all that pressure, and afraid of being DF'd, I quit college. BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER.

Eventually I went back to college and took a 3-year Nursing Program. It was a lot more difficult, because I had a family with small children at the time, but I have a job that I love now, and it was worth every bit of struggle to get that education.

Even if you just get a general arts or science degree, it is still to your benefit. Learning is NEVER a waste. You owe it to yourself to keep learning. You were given a mind and talents - they were gifts and it would be a terrible waste to not find out what you were meant to be and become the person you were meant to be. You will never regret having an education.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Whoa! You people work fast. I didn't think anyone was even gonna bother with my post. Thank you for all you're advice. I guess with the topic question it made it seem like I actually wanna pioneer instead of being in school. NO WAY! I try to avoid pioneering by all costs. I hate being in service! I have ever since I was a little girl. As far as college. Oh, I know that is where I need to be. I just feel silly sometimes because I am undeclared. I don't wanna waste more time and money. But it is a learning expierence so I can see now that its not so bad. I do love to write and plan on taking some creative writing classes next year. I was thinkin of a major is psychology and minor in criminal justie. I'd love to help with the rehabilitaion of prisoners one day but my mom gave me that look when I told her. HA HA, maybe i should do it just to piss her off and the elders.

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

do it now while you have no other responsibilities. I went to college after being df'd and then divorced, since I had a full-time job I attended evening classes, most of the people there were older anyway so that wasn't a big deal, the hard part was having a 4 year old daughter on top of it...I was able to complete part of my freshman year until I just burned out. Don't waste another moment, you will know in time what you want to study you're on the right path stay with it...and you are definetely not too old.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's not too late to go to college. If I were you, young and unimcumbered, I would take my butt down to the nearest college I liked and enroll.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube
    I am 21 and in my freshman year!

I'm 28 and in my freshman year. My advice: stay in college. The WTS isn't going to pay your bills for you, and our society doesn't hold secretaries in high demand. You owe it to yourself to get a degree.

• blondie
    blondie

Go to college but don't waste your money or your time. Know what you want to do with your schooling, get employment counseling so that when you come out at the other end, you will have many companies vying for your abilities.

Having worked in law enforcement and corrections, I would suggest using your counseling skills to help abused children. Start at the source of the problem.

Welcome, Blondie

• z
    z

go to college.

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

Blondie? buttlight? My name isn't as cool as everyone else's on here

• under74
    under74
    My name isn't as cool as everyone else's on here

Mine's under74...don't worry it's just a screen name.

• Preston
    Preston

My advice is to think about what you want to do with your education before you finish out your education at college. In our current climate potential employers look at more than a degree nowadays. Meet with a counselor and then take it from there.

- Preston

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit