SHOULD I PIONEER OR COLLEGE?

by stillAwitness 93 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tristram
    Tristram

Still,

Go to college. One of my biggest regrets in life is listening to well meaning brothers who convinced me that handling a microphone was a higher calling than a degree. Its a fact of life that you need some further education to even get your foot in the door, much less be a success.

• Legolas
    Legolas

(((((Welcome to the board)))))

Go to college!!!!!!

• claytoncapeletti
    claytoncapeletti

During high school I figured the end was so close there was no need for college. I'm 28 years old now and I'm almost 1/2 done with my bachelors degree. Regardless of what path of studies you choose it will be well worth it. College not only helps get you farther in the business world, it helps open your mind to new ideas. College has helped be refine my critical thinking skills and decision making. It's much harder now that I am older with a full-time job, new wife and a kid but it's worth the extra work.

In a few years your pioneer friends will be still be waiting on the end while you are living a life that you have created for yourself.

Best wishes

Clayton

• joelbear
    joelbear

at 21 you are still very young. Go To College, learn all the things you want to learn about. after that, if you still want to pioneer you can.

Go to College First!

• thom
    thom

I think College is the way to go. As mentioned, it'll prepare you for the world you actually live in much better than pioneering will.
    I did NOT go to college because I of course thought "the end was near", that was in 1983. Many many jobs are out of my reach without a degree and I eventually decided the only way I'd get into the business world I wanted to be in was to work for myself. I look for available jobs from time to time and even though I have alot of experience and success now, without a degree I'll just be skipped over for many jobs. It would be nice to know I had something to fall back on, but I'm not sure that I do.
    Also, I knew an older couple a few years ago in KY that pioneered together all their lives, no college, never had kids, because "the end was near". Well, now they're in their 80's and he's losing his mind and making her life miserable and they have no children or money to sustain them. Did the congregation help these long time devoted JW's? Not more than driving them to some doctor's appointments and visiting them now and then. They put their all into the org and now they're dropped when they're no longer useful. It's very sad.
    Oh, and don't overlook the social stagnation that can happen by staying away from people because they're not JW's. It's not fun trying to learn how to interact with people and make friends when you're 40 when you should have learned years ago.

• sandy
    sandy

GO TO COLLEGE AND THAT IS AN ORDER!

Seriously, like you I wasted time not going to school. I'm 29 now and finally focussed in school and I know what I want to do.

Please, for your own sake do not waste as much time as I did. It doesn't matter if you do not know what you want to do yet. You will soon enough, if you keep going to school.

Get all of your general ed. courses out of the way because those are courses you have to do no matter what major you choose.

Good Luck! AND STAY IN SCHOOL!

• Brewers
    Brewers

I feel the watchtower society is being very wise in the advise given about getting an education, especially those who may want to pioneer. These days it seems that some employers look for some college exam results and by going to college would help ones who have a spiritual goal of pioneering. I went to college back in 1986 and this had no effect in my way of life, in fact it helped me a lot to find work. My goal was to stay in the truth wheras many who go to college end up associating with the wrong crowd and sadly end up leaving the truth possibly getting disfelloshiped.So if you plan on going to college think is it the best thing for me? Am I determined to remain in the truth while studying at college.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

So Brewer is in agreement too!

GO TO COLLEGE!!

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

In a word...

College

• undercover
    undercover

If you want to go to college, go...

When I was in school, an article in the Awake! (1969, I think) said that young people didn't need to worry about college educations because the end of the system would come before any use of a college education would prove beneficial.

I didn't apply myself in high school because the end was coming. I didn't apply for college nor ever go to college. The end was coming.

I'm in my mid 40s now, my life is basically half over. My career choices were and are still limited because I never went to college. I was mislead and lied to. The end did not come. I wasted my youth and my career waiting on a promise that was a lie.

Go to college, see the world, enjoy life, enjoy youth. You can't do those things and be a devout JW. They will stifle you, smother you, ruin you. Make your choice and don't look back. Good luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit