SHOULD I PIONEER OR COLLEGE?

by stillAwitness 93 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Flash
    Flash

College definately...Pioneer later if you want, but definately college now.

Remember, thinking for yourself is not a sin or rebellious. It is a approved God given freedom. The Narrow road is not so narrow and cramped as to prevent us from moving at all.

Best Wishes!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I turned down an opportunity to attend flight school and become a commercial pilot. That advise came from an elder, who in turn was a parrot of the WTBTS. The 'end' was nearly here - that was in 1973. I never did get an education after high school. I regret it every day of my life.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste! I wasted mine believing the lies and false Christianity we know as Jehovah's witnesses. Now at 50 I doubt that I ever get that education - not enough years to pay for it now.

GO TO SCHOOL! PLEASE!

Welcome to the board!

Jeff

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Trades of many types will be very useful then, as will skills in agriculture and homemaking. So by guiding their children away from the so-called ‘higher’ education of today, these parents spare their children exposure to an increasingly demoralizing atmosphere, and at the same time prepare them for life in a new system as well.

This makes me howl laughing...homemaking....talk about trying to achieve the stepford family!!

Notice the clever use of the terminology 'so called' higher education....is this a negative connotation? or is it truly an objective observation?

I cant say it enough although I have said it already....go to college..

DB74

• proandcon
    proandcon

Stilla...consider this...most every single person in bethel in a professional position (doctor, nurse, IT technician, programmer,accountant, etc, etc) had received some degree of higher education at some pooint in their life or they would be incapable of doing the position they now have a bethel...it is a closely guarded "secret" that bethel does send some promising ones to get a higher education to fill certain neeeds it has (eg accounting, taxes, lawyers, etc)...you can't run an org this big just by the seat of your pants...you need talent...talent is educated.

I've provide a number of jobs to low skill level JW's in my area...they were totally burned out beforehand...with the job...they developed good marketable skills in different trades, got livable wages and benefits...it's very difficult to make ends meet on minimum wage...impossible to try to do that AND go to all the meetings...you become FRIED...and then they dump you because your not spiritual enough...suggest you just QUIETLY go about your school business...don't mention it to anyone...they would not encourage you at all...want you to be like them...they'd be jealous and consider you "weak"...they are clueless however...if you ultimately decide to stay a JW, at least you'll have an education and decent career...NEVER shut out options in your life...as you get older you never want to be in a position to regret it...

proandcon

• nonjwalltheway
    nonjwalltheway

Go to college and as soon as you can leave the JW organization. I don't think that "God's Organization" would instruct you to not use your mind and learn which is exactly what the WTS teaches. I studied for almost a year, but was never baptised. One of the primary reasons I began to question the teachings is because they bashed higher education, participation in sports, etc. They were bashing things they have no clue about because they were never involved in these activities themselves. I went to school and I started when I was 23 and graduated when I was 26. I make a very good living which would not be possible without college. Do not listen the the WTS. They have been saying the end is near for over a 100 years and will be saying the end is near 500 years from now! They are full of it!

• Poztate
    Poztate

NOOO DON"T GO....IT'S A TRAP

*** Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15 ***

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold: 'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. If you are in high school and thinking about a college education, it means at least four, perhaps even six or eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of things be by that time? It will be well on the way towards its finish, if not actually gone! This is why parents who base their lives on God's prophetic Word find it much more practical to direct their young ones into trades that do not require such long periods of additional schooling… True, those who do not understand where we are in the stream of time from God's viewpoint will call this impractical. But which is really practical: preparing yourself for a position in this world that soon will pass away? or working toward surviving this system's end and enjoying eternal life in God's righteous new order?

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/education.htm

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Hey there...! Welcome to the board!

The fact that you have the intelligence enough to recognise the flip flopping of the policies of the WTBTS proves to me that you should definately be going to college. You have a brain that works well. Obviously you have an analytical mind. Go make the most of it. Pursue something that means something to you! God gave us a brain to use not to spend time knocking on peoples doors.

If I could go back in time I'd definatley have gone on to college!

Wishing you all the VERY best!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I'm 48 and in my senior year! Some one forgot to start Hammygeddon when they were supposed to! No one listens to them old turds in NY, not even the angels...

So, go now. Dont wait.

W.Once

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

Welcome to the board Stilla!

I'm a few years older than you and I just started my freshman year too, and I love it. By all means stay in college, no matter what you hear from people in the Kingdom Hall.

As Miss Peaches said, you've obviously got an analytical mind that prompted you to research and question the WTBTS teachings, so I'm sure you'll love college.

The only thing I regret about school was that I didn't go sooner. And even if you are a bit (although not much) older than the other students, chances are you'll be a lot more motivated to be there and apply yourself.

And, if your unsure which direction you want your studies to go, most Universities have a Career Planning Center which, in my experience, has been a wonderful resource. Definitely stay in school.

CD

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance

I started college at age 50. I didn't go when I was young because of the 1975 crap. I don't think 21 is too old!

A mind is a terrible thing to waste! I wasted mine believing the lies and false Christianity we know as Jehovah's witnesses. Now at 50 I doubt that I ever get that education - not enough years to pay for it now.

It's not too late. I started at age 50 and am now finishing my master's degree. Even if I never find a job in my field, I know I'll never regret it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit