For those who Believe the bible to be true............

by defd 133 Replies latest jw friends

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

chuckler.... defd & Hibie..........the start of a beautiful freindship.
    All say "Ahhh!" Got milk or a problem? Hibie

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

defd Hibie u do not want to know So tell me. hibie

• Undecided
    Undecided

I guess Samson was the model for the suicide bombers to follow.

Ken P.

• kazar
    kazar

I have two favorites:

1. King Saul. I think he got a raw deal. He couldn't help it if he was crazy and the music David played soothed him. I never understood how that could happen in true meloncholia.

2. Ezekiel. He seems to be the saddest man in the bible. All those years he had to endure laying on his side, walking naked and alas! Seeing his wife destroyed. What a life!

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Defd said

For me it is hard to narrow down to just one. I can relate to Samson, I like that account. He was equivalent to a mondern day Superman. I could see myself doing something like he did.

Actually that is really interesting that you say that Defd... When you really think about it you have quite a bit in common with Samson. In Numbers 6 we learn the laws of being a Nazarite. This includes:

3 he must abstain from wine and other fermented drink and must not drink vinegar made from wine or from other fermented drink. He must not drink grape juice or eat grapes or raisins. 4 As long as he is a Nazirite, he must not eat anything that comes from the grapevine, not even the seeds or skins. 5 " 'During the entire period of his vow of separation no razor may be used on his head. He must be holy until the period of his separation to the LORD is over; he must let the hair of his head grow long. 6 Throughout the period of his separation to the LORD he must not go near a dead body. 7 Even if his own father or mother or brother or sister dies, he must not make himself ceremonially unclean on account of them, because the symbol of his separation to God is on his head.

But then we read in Judges 14:

5 Samson went down to Timnah together with his father and mother. As they approached the vineyards of Timnah, suddenly a young lion came roaring toward him. 6 The Spirit of the LORD came upon him in power so that he tore the lion apart with his bare hands as he might have torn a young goat. But he told neither his father nor his mother what he had done. 8 Some time later, when he went back to marry her, he turned aside to look at the lion's carcass. In it was a swarm of bees and some honey, 9 which he scooped out with his hands and ate as he went along. When he rejoined his parents, he gave them some, and they too ate it. But he did not tell them that he had taken the honey from the lion's carcass.

So you see in Nubmers to be a Nazarite which Samson was you had to abstain from wine. In fact not even going near grapes really. Yet in Judges Samson was hanging around near the vineyards when he attacked a lion. What was he doing near the vineyards? Why does the scripture mention he didn't tell his parents about it? Because Samson knew that even though he hadn't technically disobeyed the Nazarite law he had stepped into some 'grey area'. He knew that he was in a place that could lead to temptation. In Numbers you can also see that he was not to go near a dead body.Yet in Judges he went back to the Lions carcass (still near the vineyards) and this time directly violated the law and touched the dead body. Again he didn't tell his parents because he knew that he had done something wrong. Defd you come and post an what the WTBTS would label as an 'apostate' board. This is in direct contradiction to what the 'society' has said you must not do. And you skirt around some pretty grey areas as well. Give it some thought. This is not a personal attack. I just found it to be quite interesting. Oh and to answer your question - My favourite character is Jesus.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

My favorite is "Green Eggs & Ham". OOPS- wrong title!

You know mispeaches, I asked that same question about why defd is on a known apostate board that their "powers that be" warned them all against. I never got an answer. Maybe he's trying to cram in some field service hours. Would his visiting us again constitute a "return visit"?

Shame on you defd, that's cheating!!! And associating with the likes of us is grounds for real df'ing!!!

shelley

• misspeaches
    misspeaches
    You know mispeaches, I asked that same question about why defd is on a known apostate board that their "powers that be" warned them all against. I never got an answer.

Hey Shelley you too hey? I noticed that Defd is quite happy to respond to some replies but 100% does not respond to mine. Which is a shame because I genuinally would like to know his thoughts on my replies.

Defd we take you seriously enough to read and comment on your how about returning the same courtesy?

• under74
    under74

yup that's right it was Lot....they all seem the same late at night

• defd
    defd

Misspeaches you are really stretching and reaching for straws here i must say. you said "So you see in Nubmers to be a Nazarite which Samson was you had to abstain from wine. In fact not even going near grapes really."

You were correct by saying that Samson was not to drink wine. 3 "he must abstain from wine and other fermented drink and must not drink vinegar made from wine or from other fermented drink."

But you are ASSUMING, saying something that the account does NOT say, to prove your point. "In fact not even going near grapes really."

This is a perfecy example how people can wrongly apply scripture to prove THIER point. You have totally misread that entire account to make application to me!

• jgnat
    jgnat

From wikipedia

A Nazirite or Nazarite, Nazir in Hebrew, was a Jew who took an ascetic vow described in the Book of Numbers at 6:1-21. The term Nazarite comes from the Hebrew word nazir meaning "consecrated" or "separated". The Nazarite is "holy unto the Lord" (Numbers 6:8) and must keep himself from becoming ritually unclean. The regulations which apply to him actually agree with those for the High Priest and for the priests during worship, as described in Leviticus and in Ezekiel. This vow required the man (and in the Hellenistic period the woman too) to observe the following:

• Abstain from wine, vinegar (which was made from wine), grapes, raisins, and all intoxicants;
    • Refrain from cutting one's hair and beard;
    • To avoid corpses and graves, even those of a family member.

The vow was usually for a fixed period of time — 30, 90 or even 100 days. At the end of that time, the man would immerse in water and make an offering that included a lamb, an ewe, a ram, and a basket of bread and cakes. There are cases where a parent would make this vow for her or his child, which the child would observe for his entire life.

Numbers 6:1-4 KJV

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When either man or woman shall separate themselves to vow a vow of a Nazarite, to separate themselves unto the LORD: He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried. All the days of his separation shall he eat nothing that is made of the vine tree, from the kernels even to the husk.

It seems misspeaches spoke true of the bible account, assuming nothing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit