Christmas not Xmas!

by hibiscusfire 405 Replies latest jw friends

• Krystal
    Krystal

I don't celebrate Christmas... why? Cause I don't see the point in celebrating the birth of a 2000 year old carpenter.

I celebrate xmas because I enjoy giving gifts to my family and friends.

So yes, I will continue to "X" christ out of it

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Krystal:

I don't celebrate Christmas... why? Cause I don't see the point in celebrating the birth of a 2000 year old carpenter.

I celebrate xmas because I enjoy giving gifts to my family and friends.

So yes, I will continue to "X" christ out of it That is being boldfaced and ungrateful. Hibie

When I see an “X” replacing the Christ in Christmas it is upsetting. I feel that it is taking the meaning out of Christmas. It is like saying that what happened on that day wasn’t important. Jesus the Savior is born and that is what it really is about. It is not about presents, Santa, and Christmas trees, although that stuff is fun.

They also do the same thing with Thanksgiving. They call it Turkey Day. Well, it isn’t all about turkeys, it’s about telling what you’re thankful for and actually being thankful. So let’s put the meaning back in Christmas and not be lazy by calling it Xmas!

• undercover
    undercover

XMAS XMAS XMAS XMAS XMAS

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    They also do the same thing with Thanksgiving. They call it Turkey Day. Well, it isn’t all about turkeys, it’s about telling what you’re thankful for and actually being thankful.

Yes it is!!! It's all about the Glorious Holy Turkey! And they're always on sale at the supermarkets at that Most Holy time of year!

Prostrate yourselves before the Most Holy of Birds, and pay hommage to it!

And yes, I am very thankful for every opportunity I have to partake of its succulent flesh!

W

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Well, I've tried to keep up with this thread as best I can, may have missed a couple of pages.

Christmas is all about Jesus Christ.

Hibie, you have to realise this is only true for Christians. There are many other festivals celebrated at or around the same time - Saturnalia, Yuletide, Hanukah, Diwali, Deepwali, Eid amongst many others. For some it isn't to celebrate any religious festival at all, but simply a holiday from work where they get time off to share with family and friends.

Let it mean what it means to you, and let it mean to others what it means to them. That is embracing the spirit of them all. At the end of the day, the name of the season doesn't matter to everyone as much as embracing the spirit of it.

His name is Christ

No, his name is JESUS - or more accurately Yeshua - Christ is a title.

p.s I think the X in X-ray symbolises the Greek Chi, as opposed to gamma rays and others.

Maybe our pc councils in the UK aren't so wrong when they rename the whole season 'Winterval'

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

undercover:

Christmas is the real thing. You are being selfish.

Hibe

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

If folks were as desirous to have their children believe in Jesus Christ as much as they put their efforts and approval in having their children believe in Santa, we could have a Biblical revival in our country - even in the schools and commercial markets.

Jesus Christ is real and Santa is not, but children can not differentiate that fact, and even worse, they are not even allowed the opportunity to hear the truth regarding Jesus Christ.

• Krystal
    Krystal
    It is like saying that what happened on that day wasn’t important. Jesus the Savior is born and that is what it really is about

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM SAYING!!

If you haven't noticed yet, allow me to point out the obvious: NOT EVERYONE HERE BELIEVES IN CHRIST!

Believe it or not beyond your little world there are many many people who have differing views on who Jesus Christ really is.

I find it offensive when people wish me "Merry Christmas" because I am NOT CHRISTIAN. I am not interested in Jesus being my lord and savior... I don't believe he is. If you do, that is great... more power to you... but dont tell me not to call "christmas" xmas cause it takes away from the "importance" of that day...

Christmas or Xmas has different meanings to different people. Society is constantly evolving; it's holidays and meanings with it.

• Krystal
    Krystal
    they are not even allowed the opportunity to hear the truth regarding Jesus Christ.

and you called me "boldfaced and ungrateful"

"the truth regarding Jesus Christ" is a pretty BIG assumption. not only are you boldfaced in presenting your BELIEFS as ABSOLUTE TRUTHS but then you completly disregard the rights of non-christian parents to bring up their children without christian indoctrination.

• avishai
    avishai
    If folks were as desirous to have their children believe in Jesus Christ as much as they put their efforts and approval in having their children believe in Santa, we could have a Biblical revival in our country - even in the schools and commercial markets.

Scared-of-that. Bring on the santa!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit