Climate: Natural disasters

by hibiscusfire 93 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire
    Geologists have determined, to a large extent, which parts of the land were covered by ice, and which parts were covered by water.

What about the parts covered by water from the flood of Noah's days?

hibie

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire
    I once experienced a hurricane in London in 1987

I guess I don't remember that hurricane. I was um...a teen at that time not worrying too much about the weather. I didn't realise that hurricane could go in that direction. That is rather strange.

hibiscusfire

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Did you know that God can send messages to us to know when something is going to happen?

Dreams, visions, feelings.

I have experienced this. It is scary. I didn't know what to do at the time.

I think I am supposed to say what I have dreamt and pray about it. I am still not so sure.

I am sure this has happened to other people.

hibiscusfire

• BrentR
    BrentR

Geologist's have allready found proof that the ice sheets reached clear into central america. If I remember correctly they found drop stones that came from very far north and do not match any type of local rocks.

On my property there is a large rock that has scrape marks running east-west where a glacier ground away the rock. It is a great teaching for my daughter to see first hand.

You can pick any mellenium in history and always find a group that tries to use geologic or weather events to forcast the end of the world. You would think people would have grown weary of it by now.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

When would you say that the Ice Age took place?

There have been multiple ice ages throughout history. In fact we are in what is known as an interglacial period in the current ice age. This current interglacial period is known as the Holocene which began around 9600 B.C..

What type of animals existed then?

Lots of large mammals existed that don't now, like the wooly mammoth, the saber-toothed tiger, and the giant ground sloth. Do a search on the Pleistocene period, and you can read more about what animals were on the Earth then that aren't now.

The climate from then and now....BIG changes why?

From the last glaciation up till very recently climate changes were all natural. For example the Earth's orbit varies a little every 28,000 years or so, this is called the Milankovitch cycle. There are also feedback mechanisms that once started by small changes can lead to larger ones. For example once glaciers start to melt they expose a darker less reflective surface which will absorb more of the sun's energy which will melt more ice. Recently, human activities have added a new variable into the climatary cycles. This topic causes a lot of bickering so I'll leave it at that since human activities had no effect on the previous glaciation.

Before the flood of Noah do you think rain fell?

There is no evidence that properties of water have changed since the time that the biblical flood was said to have occurred so I think it is safe to conclude that rain did fall before that time period. Also, glaciers over land require precipitation to form.

Did you know that our contribution to earth caused so much pollution that we got a hole in the ozone layer?

CFCs are but one of our contributions to the earth's atmosphere.

Did you know that the Bible speaks of the end of times when there would be more natural disasters worse than there ever was before?

The bible and many other religious texts contain many intentionally vague prophecies that can be interpreted many ways. Why wasn't the bible more specific in its warnings? Millions of people's lives could've been saved.

Do you know that there are many more things to come?

There are always more things to come. :)

What do we have right now?

What we have is what you see. We have only ourselves to save us from ourselves. To wait on some omnipotent being to save us from our own shortsightedness is.. well.. shortsighted. :)

• Satanus
    Satanus

What about the parts covered by water from the flood of Noah's days?

There have been many floods, some quite large. For instance, a part of the usa was victim of one called the missoula flood. The way it happened was that a large lake bigger than lake ontario built up as the ice melted. It was dammed in by ice. As the ice continued to recede, the water build up was released, and "ran wild through the Idaho panhandle, the Spokane River Valley, much of eastern Washington and into Oregon, flooding the area that is now the city of Portland under 400 feet of water. " That is a quote. http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Number=229402

There is no proof of a worldwide flood. No ark. No noah. However, there is evidence of other ice ages, preceding the last one. There is evidence that shows that the conrinents that we presently have were once all jammed together. From that one huge landmass came all the continents that we have today. This happened by way of what they call continental drift. Before that supercontinent, the land was broken up and then before that it had been one continent, before. You see the cycles? The continents are still moving today, and will probably all smash together again in a few million yrs.

The story of noah is but one of many flood stories. Sumirian gilgamesh is another. It predates the noah story and is remarkably similar in some things. Read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh

S

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I have been flooded quite a few times by hurricanes.

I don't believe in God of the bible anymore. I go to JW meetings for the sake of family

God told Noah that the earth was not going to be flooded again.

So many innocent ones destroyed, even in today's floodings. If the God of the bible was a true God, then his creation has many imperfections!!!

thus making him and imperfect god

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire
    Dac: God told Noah that the earth was not going to be flooded again.
    So many innocent ones destroyed.

Those people were far from innocent. In those days the peopele had grown very bad. You would not have liked to be among them. Like I always tell people, they had a choice to go into the ark but they didn't.

God says if we humble ourselves and pray He would heal our land. Some people believe and they pray ...others don't. I believe even now God would heal our land if the people will behave themselves.

Sorry to hear about your flooding. That must be pretty scary.

hibiscusfire

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    behave themselves.

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire
    Sacri: Before the flood of Noah do you think rain fell?

There is no evidence that properties of water have changed since the time that the biblical flood was said to have occurred so I think it is safe to conclude that rain did fall before that time period. Also, glaciers over land require precipitation to form.

From the bible Genesis tells how God divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament. Have you ever wondered about what that meant? It was like a cover....a canopy!

This type of water canopy of ice crystals and vapor would have been able to shield the earth from harmful solar x-rays and provide a greenhouse environment ideal for maximum plant and animal growth. It has deteriorated in time due to all the pollution we have today. Our ozone layer would have been different. As time goes by, it gets weaker as more and more "diseases" attack it.

Anyway back then temperature variations between the equator and the poles would vary by only forty or fifty degrees.

The Bible indicates that there was no rain before the flood.....but...."there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground."

In this kind of climate, the plant and animal life would definitely flourish, (the greenhouse effect) so much so that when the flood of Noah came, great deposits of flesh and fiber were compressed and converted to huge oil reservoirs and layers of coal hundreds of feet thick.

This explains the climate back then in Bible history.

hibiscusfire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit