Elders Will Be Notified & WILL FIND YOU in the Hospital

by Aude_Sapere 63 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I busied myself with contacting work and family and trying to keep up with all the tests and such and trying to get answers about what was wrong and why and what treatment options were being considered for me, making various arrangements, etc.

Is it possible that someone from work or your family contacted the elders?

I've been thinking about contacting two hospitals regarding my change in belief, but wonder what would happen if a JW employee happened to see it. Would they report it to the elders? And if they did, would they only be slapped on the wrist?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

The "Society" has something called Patient Visitation Groups. These are elders who visit Witness patients who aree in the hospital but not being addressed by their local congregations. Whether this was one of those elders, who knows. But it means that these PVGs as they are called must have some way of finding out from the hospitals that JWs are there. It does sound like some kind of confidentiality breach.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Hi Aude,

I'm glad to see that you didn't ignore your symptoms and go about your day that morning. I hope things are settling down for you and your meds are being adjusted okay. I'm on Aggrenox 2X for a bloodthinner and I wasn't told anything specific to adjust to! Then again, there wasn't much of a chance of me riding a motorcycle any time soon, either! LOL!

That horrid business with the elder made me both frustrated and angry! How DARE he just waltz into your room like that! He had NO business doing that! The stinking audacity of this religion that thinks and acts like it's God! Speaking of blood---mine is boiling since I read this!!!!!

This reminds me of when I was an active JW and I had fallen and crushed both bones in my leg about 10 years ago. I had been put into a temporary cast and sent home, with surgery to be the next day. I had told the POs wife the evening before, to let her know not to pick me up for the bookstudy that next evening.

I got to the hospital having signed ALL the necessary papers the day before, and speaking to the doc about the no blood thing, etc. I got to my room and saw a briefcase on my table, and the nurse came in to tell me that my minister was at the nurses station and she seemed rather crisp when telling me this. Apparently he was ruffling more than a few feathers about making sure that I didn't receiver any blood.

At first I thought how "thoughtful" he was to do this maybe thinking I was in much pain, or rattled, whatever but since leaving, I now see this as quite irritating. He was there to make sure that I didn't "accept" any blood and to lay down the law in this regard, as it I wasn't capable of telling them myself! It put this in a whole different perspective now, and it made me angry when I realized it.

I would pursue this matter with ANY possible agency that would listen to me...and let the WTS know that they had most certainly stepped over the bounds of decency in walking uninvited into your hospital room and putting you on the spot like that! Not only just BEING there, but asking you questions that he should not have been asking at that time and at that place!!!!!! He was not there in a "friendly" capacity and I could have asked HIM a few choice questions myself! What nerve!

When you are feeling well enough-------GO GET'EM!

hugs,

Annie

• sinis
    sinis

YOU NEED TO CONTACT AN ATTORNEY - this will eventually go a lot deeper than it currently is. The elders work like government, slow but consistant. They are probably waiting for a full recovery and then you will be called in to an elders meeting. If you told the hospital that you do not want to be listed as a JW, the elders (who probably are aware of this as well) will interprete this as DA'ing yourself. It is up to you but I personally would not put up with this crap. Let me tell you of a story that just happened not too long ago:

A friend of mine who USED to be an elder recently was involved in a relationship. The girl was basically phsyco and trashed his car after he told here it would not work out. He got mad (can't blame him) and basically told her the next time she came near him he would beat the poop out of her (idle words, but it gets better). She than goes down to the courts and files harrasement charges against him and gets a restraining order. He gets called to court and foolishly represents himself. He admits what he said and what transpired but the judge (who appreciated his honesty) had no other recourse than to fine him - end of story, right? Wrong. He works for a lower court system as a temp worker. He recently got on as a full time gov worker. His probation was for 9 months and he was already 8 months in. He gets a call from his supervisor on one friday to come to his office. He shows up and asks whats going on. The sup tells him that he received orders from above that he was terminated. Sup had no idea why and neither did this brother since he is a good worker. To add injury to insult, he gets called into a JC by the local body of elders. He asks why? They tell him that they found out (annonymous person of course) he is not irreprehensible because he was called in before "Ceasar" for breaking the law. He acknowledged that he did go to court and that he payed the fine and that he fullfilled his obligation to the law of the land. They said that was not enough since "others" knew of this occurance and it gave a bad witness. He asked who and they would not tell him. They removed him of being an elder and all his previlges.I told him he needs to seek legal counsel, which he said no, it must be gods will and Jehovah will correct it in due time. Well he later found out that the higher ups at his previous job were witness. Somehow some of the women in records (witnesses) had read his transcripts and contacted the elders. Then someone (admin) at the job (witness) found out what had become of his removal and canned him. HE NOW HAS AN ATTORNEY and last I heard he will literally be suing the crap out of his previous job, the people involved and the elders. The people involved WILL be losing there jobs so that they cannot pull this crap in the future. He may also be getting his job back and FULL pay.

IMHO YOU NEED TO GET A LAWYER NOW!!!!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Find out who did this to you and let them have it, legally!

What kind of a NON HUMAN grills a person in a hospital, with IV tubes hanging out of their arms. Absolutely unforgivable. The hospital should be smacked for even letting this bastard into your room especially since you specifically directed them that you did not want any visits from these zealots!

I am dumbfounded by the incredible incompetence shown by this hospital administration! Get a lawyer. This is inexcusable invasion of privacy.

J

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

The previous posters were right about the HIPPA laws. The hospital is expressly forbidden from releasing ANY of your treatment info to any other third party inquiries. But beyond that any hospital staff, or sub-contractors that might have come across ANY information about you CANNOT under law reveal that information. I know that because I work in a hospital as a sub-contract electrician. Before I was allowed to step foot on hospital property I had to sign HIPPA compliance contracts, as does ANYBODY who works in a hospital in any capacity.

In other words if a JW nurse or doctor or whatever works at that hospital, the local elders cannot use them as some kind of "theocratic spy" to out you. Your treatment information, and any conversations you had with hospital staff are private information. If the elders find out you have the right to sue!

• Xandria
    Xandria

Wow Aude,

What a total mind blower. Here you are on meds to regulate your blood/ blood pressure and this ass has the nerve to ambush you! I would think someone a nurse, social worker, etc, would have came in and ASKED if you were up to receiving visitors, etc.

To come in from walking, being “held” up by someone asking personal questions that are none of their business at the most inopportune time is just wrong. You don’t keep a patient standing with I.V.’s like that, it is not only insensitive; but rude!

• blondie
    blondie

The important thing is not to just rely on the law. Make your wishes clear (or your chosen trusted representative if necessary) to the nurses, the doctors, and the hospital administration, in person and in writing. Politely let them know what the repercussions will be in your life if they don't. When my husband was in the hospital the practice was to leave the patient's chart out in the hallway area where any person walking by in the hospital (including 'visitors') could grab your chart and read it. I was told it was more "convenient" for the health staff not to have to go in the room and disturb the patient. I told them that people were in the room about 6 times an hour on average to administer pills, shots, check the IV, change the IV bag, empty the urine bag, take his temperature, take his blood pressure, all necessary things. Why would keeping the chart in his room create any more opportunities to wake him up. It was only when I told his doctor about the practice and the danger of prying JW eyes to my husband, that for us the practice was changed.

So my opinion is that make no assumptions and be viligant. Give them a list of the ONLY people allowed to visit. No drop in visits, ministers, clergy or not. No exceptions. Let them know you will take legal action against any individuals and the hospital if these already mandated wishes are not followed.

You cannot avoid the fact that a "loyal" JW who works in the hospital in records or elsewhere may break the law and give out confidential information. My experience with JWs in the health field is that when they do find out something they don't want to go through the hassle of being loyal and losing their job. If no other JW knows, they just let it slide, not for your benefit but their own.

Blondie

• rebel8
    rebel8
    The hospital is expressly forbidden from releasing ANY of your treatment info to any other third party inquiries

As I said, I am a certified healthcare regulatory professional, lots of experience, grad degree in this field, blah, blah, blah. The privacy rule is not that restrictive. People's families can be given basic information without permission unless the patient objects. Scroll down to pg 2 on the site below and you'll see this can be done without a release. It is not at all abnormal for a family member to be given basic information without permission, nor is it illegal.

• blondie
    blondie

Well, that definitely shows you can't rely on a written policy. You have to make your personal wishes known verbally and in writing specifically to the all the appropriate people.

I know of JWs who have plastered the walls in a JW patient's room with signs saying NO BLOOD in 12 inch letters. How obnoxious must that have been!

Your polite request to the nurses and doctors and other healthcare professionals treating you will be a relief.

Of course, if you have close relatives, spouse or children who are JWs, it will be hard to keep your personal request secret. Ask the hospital how you can get around that.

Blondie (nothing is guaranteed)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit