Elders Will Be Notified & WILL FIND YOU in the Hospital

by Aude_Sapere 63 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

I'm really sorry that I had trouble posting the first time since I think this is a very important issue and unfortunately ended up with alot of sarcastic comments at the beginning.

To those who asked about my health, I think I'm still in 'fight' mode and since getting home have just little surges of energy. The hyper-alertness in the hospital, along with the entire physical ordeal has made me weary.

A visiting nurse is giving me shots in my belly until coumadin reaches therapeutic levels. I don't know how that will affect me on a daily basis but I'm hoping to be 'normal' real soon.

Although I'm being a mostly compliant patient, I don't think I'm willing to make the changes that being on blood-thinners will require. I will learn more tomorrow when I see the doctor and even more next week when my 'real' doctor returns from vacation.

The doctors and nurses took my case extremely seriously. It was good that I sought attention as early as I did. Less than an hour after getting to the ER, I had a significant episode that brought alot of attention to my bedside. Another episode occured an hour or two later.

It's a little overwhelming but I think that two things are sticking in my brain: Coumadin is for old people. The treating physician has told me to sell my motorcycle (the one I just bought 2 weeks ago).

I'm not old. I don't want to sell the bike.

As far as the elder's visit, it was rather embarrassing, too, because the conversation with the elder took place at the foot of the bed of another patient. Me standing there with IVs tubes in both arms. I was dumbfounded.

I will absolutely have a visit with hospital administration. I am very interested in support from my friends here and your specific comments and verbage will help me in filing my complaint.

Do I keep this just within the hospital? Do I take this to a different governing agency??

Thanks again for support, direction, concern and encouragement.

-Aude.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i seriously would consult an attorney before talking to hospital admin.

most attorney offices will give you a free interview to see if you have a case..if you do you certainly need legal advice before speaking to hospital admin..

hope you feel better soon!

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

MYSELF: it was the last thing you needed. It is a lesson learned, and a good warning to those trying to fade as peacefully as possible.
    Exactly. I thought others would want to know so they can avoid getting caught unprepared.

HORRIBLE LIFE: there seems to be a very severe HIPPA violation.
    You are right. I was thinking just intrusive JWs but this does seem to be legal issue.

I'm tired and a little resistant to 'life-style' changes. I am on the mend and, as far as know, am expected to recover nicely. Thanks for asking. :)

OUTNFREE: I can imagine the sick feeling inside when you realized who that man was and what the repercussions might be for you. I wish you peace and a speedy return to full health.
    Oh! Yes. A knot in my stomach that returns when I see his face in my mind. Thanks for the well-wishes and hugs. I wish you the same and think about you often during your own health challenges. ((((Brenda))))

JGNAT: a sentence like, "Do you still consider yourself one of the Jehovah's Witnesses" would sound so innocent to a bystander, yet so chilling to a fading JW.
    Funny. I felt it coming and felt helpless to avoid it. It was chilling. When he left my room, I flopped on my bed and phoned a friend. The friend (non-jw) just didn't understand. Told me I should have just told him to 'f-off' and get out of my hospital room. *sigh* Deep breath. I'm getting all worked up again just re-living it...

JGNAT: Health plans, providers and clearinghouses that violate these standards will be subject to civil liability.
    Quick with the research and reference. Thank You!!
    Who sanctions the hospital? Where do I file a complaint?

CANDIDLYNUTS: i seriously would consult an attorney before talking to hospital admin.
    Interesting. You are one cool, thoughtful bird. Thanks for the suggestion and well-wishes. I will give that serious consideration. I'm getting excited and weary just thinking about it.... Very interesting....

Anyone else have comments or suggestions about reporting HIIPA violations? Any experiences about taking Hospital & HLC to task for intruding??

-Aude.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

bttt (for the early-to-bedders)

Anyone else experience this?

-Aude.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Aude,

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. I sincerely hope your health issues get better. As far as I know, I'm not on any hospital computers but thanks for the heads up on this.

I also consider myself a successful fader, but one never knows!

HappyDad

PS-------You have a PM

• Buhdee
    Buhdee

Good to hear you are on the mend. I will be changing my directives. I really like my primary care physician but one of his staff is a very active JW. I know whatever he writes in his nots makes for good dininer time chat.

After reading your post I got ready to log off due to the off topic comments on something of such a serious nature. It doesn't do much for credibility.

Take Care

• rebel8
    rebel8

I work in regulatory affairs at a hospital. You specifically made your wishes known that you do not desire contact with JWs, yet they gave out information about you. Here's how to report it to the regulators: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacyhowtofile.htm Filing a complaint should get the hospital cited. Probably not much more than a load of embarassment and a slap on the hand will occur, and possibly some disciplinary action if an employee didn't follow hospital policies. The OCR may ask you to file a complaint with the hospital privacy officer first before proceeding with your complaint with them. If you are even remotely considering a lawsuit, then consult an attorney before filing any complaints. I doubt there would be a basis for a lawsuit, but I'm not an attorney and I don't play one on tv either.

What they told you about not being able to change your AMD is a load of hooey. Sounds like a stupid internal policy on their part. You may also wish to file a written complaint with the hospital compliance officer and/or your state department of health on that issue. They need to change that practice immediately so as not to violate anyone else's rights.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    I'm really sorry that I had trouble posting the first time since I think this is a very important issue and unfortunately ended up with alot of sarcastic comments at the beginning.

I am sorry. We all thought you were looking for some sarcasm about the elders because for 2-3 hours all that showed up was the topic and it said:

The Elders Will Be Alerted.

That's why I said who cares. Didn't realise that your post didn't show up and that you had some comments in the body of the post.

I feel bad for you because the JW cult has no right to invade a person's hospital room.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here you go, Aude_Sphere, how to send in a formal complaint:

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacyhowtofile.htm

I am guessing you can only fill this form out against the hospital, not the WTBTS. The hospital had the obligation to protect your privacy.

As a side note, where do American bureaucracies go for their graphics design? That lovely eagle logo looks EXACTLY like a football helmet. I'm sure that's not what they had in mind.

As a second side note, my Canadian brain doesn't quite "get" this tendency to sue first and ask questions later? I guess up here in Canada we are more likely to trust the rule of law, fill out the $%^& form, and maybe get some minor recourse at the end of the day. For instance, $100 in the pocket and some egg on the face for the hospital. I'm sure they won't make THAT mistake again. Just think of it Aude, after you, the HLC will be hampered in their visits forever afterwards. Small victory!

• luna2
    luna2

Aude, hope you are feeling 100% soon. What a frightening experience!

I agree with you that this is an important topic...thanks to you for bringing it up here.

jgnat...lmao on the football helmet. It does look just like

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit