Elders Will Be Notified & WILL FIND YOU in the Hospital

by Aude_Sapere 63 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Emma
    Emma

Having that elder in your room must have been like having ice wated thrown at you! No visits for years and then this! It must be an easy way to count time.

I'll ask about my paperwork again, thank you for the reminder. It's nearly impossible to get stuff off your record. I was on some medications years ago but everytime I go in for something someone asks if I'm on any other medication besides those. They "remove the information" everytime I do this, yet it shows up the next time. It's frightening. It's not possible to be too careful.

I'm glad you're doing well. I know you'll get to the bottom of your health issues.

Wishing you the best, Emma

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

What a horrible experience! I once filed a complaint against a hospital -- I filed it with the Department of Health & Human Services in Austin (if I remember correctly). There is always a state regulatory agency, and they WILL take your complaint seriously. I heard from the agency, and several times from the panic-stricken hospital (their ER almost killed my mother by letting her lie around the ER for 10 hours with no IV when I had brought her in for dehydration and when I complained they brought her a ham & cheese sandwich -- she had Alzheimer's and couldn't chew. Idiots!).

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us -- it's a good reminder to all of us to change that Advance Directive and make sure our wishes are updated in the hospitals' databases! Easy to forget to do that.

Nina

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

HAPPY DAD: Thanks for the pm.

BUHDEE: Unfortunately, you are probably right. (Sorry I am not sure I understand your credibility comment. I think you are referring to the others who posted at the beginning but then found that this is actually a serious thread...?)

REBEL8: Perfect. Thanks for the link and the tip. (I'm still a bit overwhelmed with the entire physical process so the research assist and suggestions are greatly appreciated.)

HONESTY: Thanks for response. I would have thought that based on my posting history and placement under 'MEDICAL' that people would thought mis-posting. If I was thinking more clearly, I may have just started a new thread.

JGNAT: "As a second side note, my Canadian brain doesn't quite "get" this tendency to sue first and ask questions later?"
    Sigh. I'm not sure I'm inclinded to sue on this. But I *do* think it's important to pursue with governing agency to enforce HIIPA regulations.
    Thanks again for assistance. I was hoping I would see more from you. I always appreciate your postings on other threads and was so pleased to find that you contributed to mine. I truly appreciate the support!

LUNA2: Yeah. It was a shocker. There was more, but, believe it or not, I shortened my tale.

EMMA: I'm glad you're doing well. I know you'll get to the bottom of your health issues.
    I'm working on it!

CRUZANHEART: it's a good reminder to all of us to change that Advance Directive and make sure our wishes are updated in the hospitals' databases! Easy to forget to do that.
    It's very frightening and hopefully it will save someone else from realizing too late that their AMD says: No Blood.

Everyone: There were other HIIPA violations as well. During one shift, a diligent attendent blocked calls to me in the CCU. My pushy, medical employee, JW sister forced them to give her my HIIPA # for access to me and my records by relaying my profile. I was pleased the hospital was protecting my privacy but then realized that the same person violated the privacy because the person on the phone (my sister) knew me so intimately.

My estranged JW mother also got thru to me in the CCU. The attendant cheerfully and helpfully interrupted a call with a close friend to tell me that my mom is on the phone. She looked put out (or maybe worried that she violated policy) when I told her: "Oh. That's not good. I haven't seen or heard from her in over a year. I don't know where she lives and I don't have her phone number. A call from my mom is not full of warm fuzzies."
    She's a staunch, near militant JW.

Looks like me and OCR and the hospital will be having a few discussions about this.
    If the elders actually *do* contact me as a result of this, I might consider contacting an attorney. I did not sleep well last night and am on my way to the doctor. It might be normal post-op stuff. It might be my brain running ahead of reality and making a bigger deal of something than warranted.
    But they were still violations of my privacy and that is a very, very uncomfortable feeling.

-Aude.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Aude,

I find this story so disconcerting. I have a friend that is a nurse and she says that when someone calls their hospital to get information on a patient, they aren't even allowed to say if that patient is being housed there. How is it that your family found out in the first place? Could it be that a JW works there and saw you? I say that because years ago (before strict HIIPA guidelines) I was in the hospital. A nurse (who was JW) called my parents to tell them that I was there. I felt very violated. If I wanted my parents to know, I would have called them. Do you know how your family found out?

Andi

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    I'm really sorry that I had trouble posting the first time since I think this is a very important issue and unfortunately ended up with alot of sarcastic comments at the beginning.

Aude I removed the offensive posts although in all honesty I'm sure the posters weren't meaning to offend and I do realize that your original text didn't appear at first so they ran amuck with the title.

I'm glad to hear you are doing much better and thank you for the heads up on making sure our medical directives are updated to avoid what you've been through. Hang tough this too will pass.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Aude I'm pleased to hear you are on the mend and I'm sorry for the unnecessary hassle. I'm just sorry I wasn't there as I would have cheerfully gotten very intense with him.

Everyone: There were other HIIPA violations as well. During one shift, a diligent attendent blocked calls to me in the CCU. My pushy, medical employee, JW sister forced them to give her my HIIPA # for access to me and my records by relaying my profile. I was pleased the hospital was protecting my privacy but then realized that the same person violated the privacy because the person on the phone (my sister) knew me so intimately.

My estranged JW mother also got thru to me in the CCU. The attendant cheerfully and helpfully interrupted a call with a close friend to tell me that my mom is on the phone. She looked put out (or maybe worried that she violated policy) when I told her: "Oh. That's not good. I haven't seen or heard from her in over a year. I don't know where she lives and I don't have her phone number. A call from my mom is not full of warm fuzzies."

She's a staunch, near militant JW.

It is possible this is where the leak occurred. Do you think your sister or your mother could have alerted this elder as to which hospital you were at?

Irregardless I too see serious HIPPA violations that are inexcusable.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Glad to hear that you're ok. As far as the Elders go..... read my lips elders: "Get a Life, a REAL one".

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Aude!

I hope you're feeling much better now.

That must have been one hell of a shock to see that elder there!

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

The medical directive that is being spoken about here is more then just the little paper the JWs give at meetings w/ elders signatures saying you don't take blood , right?

Cause i haven't updated that card in forever. Also when i gave birth the last 2 times all they did was ask, will you take blood in need be? I answer yes or no.. and thats it. No major issue.

• rebel8
    rebel8

HIPAA is far less restrictive than many people believe. Giving basic info to your family is not a regulatory violation unless you specifically asked for information not to be shared with them. Same thing with clergy, but you mentioned you did specifically request for no info to be shared. By basic information, I mean confirming your presence in the hospital and similar things, not allowing them to read your medical record or something like that.

It is the Office of Civil Rights that regulates HIPAA.

Again, I strongly suggest you file a written complaint with the hospital compliance officer about the AMD issue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit