So how do you explain this....

by loosie 113 Replies latest jw experiences

• rem
    rem

Yes, millions of people CAN be wrong. That's the whole point! And that's what you have been missing in your science education.

Do you realize what type of scientfic information you find on TV? Stuff that sells advertisements. You're missing a lot, so you really have no business saying what science does and does not say.

When you learn more about the brain you will learn not to trust anecdotes as much as you do today. I'm not talking about theories here, I'm talking about controlled experiments that have been replicated time and time again.

Plus the stuff that we do know is really fascinating! Demon Haunted World goes into some of these experiments and is a really fun read. It also show WHY millions of people can be wrong. Believe me, you won't regret reading that book. It's an eye-opener.

rem

• Legolas
    Legolas

Is there anytrhing in that book about people floating? I'll read it if there is. I've seen a lot of video's of ppl floating etc... Again I will say, because I know people who had stuff happen to them, that we should just agree to disagree .

• rem
    rem

Yes, it talks about floating people. Read it.

By the way... regarding the videos... the floating trick is just an illusion. Yet another example of a perceptual illusion along with some of the better know scams that are talked about in Sagan's book.

rem

• Legolas
    Legolas

Can I put the question to you Rem..........That if tonight you went to bed and had an experience, floating or something etc... you would explain it away?

• Legolas
    Legolas
    Demon Haunted World

I will read it soon ( If the book stores around here have it) and I will tell you what I think of it. I hope it can answer a lot of questions that I and a lot of other people have.

• rem
    rem

I would narrow down the reasons and look for a rational explanation. It is very empowering to understand your psychology and not jump to paranormal conclusions when something goes against your everyday experiences.

As I have said before... I have experienced weird things before, but nothing that can't be explained. And even if there was no explanation, there is no reason to jump to the paranormal conclusion - all one has to say is "I don't know". Making up explanations isn't very satisfying to me.

That's not to say that nothing could ever convince me of the paranormal. I think it would be great if paranormal stuff really did happen! I use this common sense rule: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Without extraordinary evidence for the paranormal, I will have to assume a naturalistic explanation. Like I said before, people have been looking for evidence of the paranormal for 100 years now and found absolutely nothing, so paranormal explanations are highly improbable.

rem

• Legolas
    Legolas
    Like I said before, people have been looking for evidence of the paranormal for 100 years now and found absolutely nothing, so paranormal explanations are highly improbable.

That is not true, we have/had a show here in Canada(I can't remember the name of it right now, it's all about ghost sightings here in Canada) and they did get things caught on tape .

• rem
    rem

"Ghost Hunters" are not scientists AT ALL. They have no idea of what they are doing or what they are seeing or why they are even using magnetometers.

What did they catch on tape? A hazy figure? These people are catching artifacts of their equipment - that they are not even calibrating. I've seen Ghost Hunters in action before. They are an amusing sight and all of their "sightings" can be explained as equipment malfunctions and overactive imaginations.

This is not science... it is people who want to act like scientists and who deeply believe that ghosts exist and they can find them. They are far from dispassionate observers and careful data collectors.

A book by a former ghost hunter - blinded by the light, by Susan Blackmore is an interesting read on this topic.

rem

• Legolas
    Legolas
    What did they catch on tape?

One of the things I can remember was wayyyyyyyyyy back along time ago (they were pictures that were taken in a suasions (spelling ?) I believe of a former mayor or someone important) Anyway they had WEIRD things happening in the pictures and there were people who were there while the pics were taken up till they were developed, and nothing was tampered with.

• Legolas
    Legolas

It was called "Creepy Canada" I just looked it up on our TV guide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit