So how do you explain this....

by loosie 113 Replies latest jw experiences

• freedom96
    freedom96

I appreciate the direction as far as some interesting books to read, and perhaps I will do so.

It is interesting to listen to different viewpoints.

I don't have the answer to what we all experienced, other than it did happen.

That won't change. What happened, happened. Simple as that. What exactly it was, can certainly be discussed, but I am not delusional, and it wasn't my imagination.

All I know is it wasn't from this world as we know it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

REM:

Yeah, that's right... I'm not calling believers liars, I'm calling them out as lazy-ass non-researchers.

And I'm calling you out as a condescending and bigotted b*st*rd!

You've tarred every believer with a rather nasty brush, with no evidence to support it. You may have reached different conclusions, due to your own experiences and the limited facts at your disposal (for all of us work with limited facts), but how DARE you throw such labels around?

Have you quite finished looking down your nose at believers?

Have you got evidence for your extraordinary claim?

• rem
    rem

Hey dude! :)

I don't think it's an extraordinary claim to say that most believers have not read even the most basic of scientific information on the subject. ;)

How the hell are ya?

rem

• rem
    rem

Hmm... it's not allowing me to edit, so here goes:

Hey dude! :)

I don't think it's an extraordinary claim to say that most believers have not read even the most basic of scientific information on the subject. ;)

In fact, it would be extraordinary if the opposite was true seeing that the scientifc viewpoint doesn't get anywhere near equal time with whatever new-age topic sells advertisements on TV and such. So it's not entirely the believer's fault, but the information is available if just a little bit of effort is put forward.

Why should I not be annoyed when people make uninformed statements about science? We should all be encouraging education, not a condecending, anti-intellectual view of critical thinking.

How the hell are ya?

rem

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm good, thanks, buddy - real good - life is dealing me a few spades at the moment How about you? You've been sorely missed!

We have statistics on this? I'll grant you that there is weak anecdotal evidence for this

In fact, it would be extraordinary if the opposite was true seeing that the scientifc viewpoint doesn't get anywhere near equal time with whatever new-age topic sells advertisements on TV and such. So it's not entirely the believer's fault, but the information is available if just a little bit of effort is put forward.

It's a TV culture, isn't it? Sad, but true - if it aint on the box, it can't be true

Why should I not be annoyed when people make uninformed statements about science? We should all be encouraging education, not a condecending, anti-intellectual view of critical thinking.

I couldn't agree more, but I would suggest that opposing views need educating, not denigrating...

Btw, how did ya like the satire?

• freedom96
    freedom96

I agree, more education the better. But, how is a scientist supposed to explain to me what I saw, when he didn't see it himself? And how is he going to try to prove to me with science that what I saw wasn't really there?

The fact is, that it was something. Maybe some people object to the use of the word "ghost" however whatever you want to call it, it was not of this "normal" world. Call it what you like, but it was 100% as described.

Why is it so difficult to accept that?

The idea that maybe it is all in my head is ridiculous, when my family saw it too, and experienced the same things, and talked about it independently.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Freedom:IMHO we use common frameworks of reference to describe experiences. They are rarely an exact match, but they are generally "good enough" for our purposes.

Scientists are no different, they just like bigger, more latinised, words

• rem
    rem

Freedom,

I think the issue is that you are creating a false dilemma. It's not you saying you saw something and scientists saying you didn't. There are more possibilities, and that's what the scientific study of the paranormal has uncovered over the past century. I'm not going to spoil the surprise for you, so you'll just have to figure out what the other possibilities are on your own. :)

I was purposely caustic in my posts to illustrate a point. The point is that believers are extremely caustic towards skeptics and science in general and they don't even seem to realize it. Believers are often condescending to skeptics, claiming that they are closed minded when in fact this is completely untrue. We can only take so much! :)

LT,

Good thing I know you or I might have missed the satire. hehe You don't want to get us skeptics riled up, now do ya? Everyone knows we have underdeveloped senses of humor! lol

>> We have statistics on this? I'll grant you that there is weak anecdotal evidence for this

Silly rascal! Now I know you have at least learned that only extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If the claim, such as the above, is not extraordinary, then I get to go off of WAGs (wild-ass-guesses). But in any case, I'm not positing an unfalsifiable claim, so it would be easy to disprove with a well done survey. Care to take it on? :-P

rem

• rem
    rem

Freedom,

I think the issue is that you are creating a false dilemma. It's not you saying you saw something and scientists saying you didn't. There are more possibilities, and that's what the scientific study of the paranormal has uncovered over the past century. I'm not going to spoil the surprise for you, so you'll just have to figure out what the other possibilities are on your own. :)

I was purposely caustic in my posts to illustrate a point. The point is that believers are extremely caustic towards skeptics and science in general and they don't even seem to realize it. Believers are often condescending to skeptics, claiming that they are closed minded when in fact this is completely untrue. We can only take so much! :)

LT,

Good thing I know you or I might have missed the satire. hehe You don't want to get us skeptics riled up, now do ya? Everyone knows we have underdeveloped senses of humor! lol

>> We have statistics on this? I'll grant you that there is weak anecdotal evidence for this

Silly rascal! Now I know you have at least learned that only extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If the claim, such as the above, is not extraordinary, then I get to go off of WAGs (wild-ass-guesses). But in any case, I'm not positing an unfalsifiable claim, so it would be easy to disprove with a well done survey. Care to take it on? :-P

rem

• heathen
    heathen

Well my entity wasn't wearing any distinquishable attire . I would dare say it was naked... Actually I have seen objests fly accross the room and such things that just defy exsplanation. This thing was very noisy as well and when it did exit a room through a wall it made a loud exit like someone slamming a door . There's really no history to the houses I have lived in here in texas as they were built in the 70's but regardless I don't believe in human spirits haunting the living even though I have seen some spirits back when I was young that wore dress . I remember my gandmas house which was a pretty old house that everybody that slept there saw strange things . I don't think swamp gas or radon gas was an exsplanation either . So Rem and the rest of you brains surgeons out there can believe what you want , there is nothing that would convince me I'm wrong on this one .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit