Are You For or Against The Death Penalty?

by minimus 264 Replies latest jw friends

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

Consider this: Do you think an innocent person has ever been executed?

Even if it happened only once, wouldn't that outweigh any "benefit" of all the other executions?

• Englishman
    Englishman

Against, purely on moral grounds.

Englishman.

• orion
    orion

I think child molesters and rapist should be kept in prison and raped everyday for the rest of there life

• rebel8
    rebel8

Me too, orion. I feel if there is sufficient dna and other evidence to show a person is guilty, then I firmly believe in the death penalty. I feel it should be used on murderers, rapists, kidnappers, and anyone who commits a serious assalt.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Any idea how big the percentage is of people who were put to death but where not guilty?

Hard to say of course but there have been some studies: (for the United states)

• Since 1973, over 80 people have been released from death row with evidence of their innocence.
  • Researchers Radelet & Bedau found 23 cases since 1900 where innocent people were executed.
  • It is clear that not the seriousness of a case is the only concern:

• 83% of capital cases involve white victims, even though only 50% of murder victims are white.
  • It is much more likely for someone to receive the death penalty when the victim is white, than when the person is not.
  • Then why would we have the death penaly. Only as punishment? What kind of people are we then. We don't like it we kill it.

It does not help much to fight crime. For example: the united states have the death penaly, yet they have the highest percentage of people behind bars of all countries in the world.

Danny

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

What about the fact that it is never administered fairly?

-Women who commit violent crimes are much LESS likely to receive it.

-Minorities are much MORE likely to be executed.

-A wealthy person will NEVER get the death penalty.

• heathen
    heathen

I don't claim to have a moral answer to this question but think the death penalty should always be something that the community votes on in each state . I agree with those that say , why should we feed and house murderers ? It does cost the tax payer something like $30,000 a year to keep somebody behind bars . These people are even dangerous behind bars , they could escape or kill others . I say lets have a national holiday and watch em fry some losers .

• Mary
    Mary

I'm for it for certain crimes:

1. Certain murders
    2. Pedophilia
    3. Politicians who lie (in other words, 99.9% of them)
    4. People who drive too slow in the fast lane
    5. People who talk during a movie
  • sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    What kind of people are we then. We don't like it we kill it.

Exactly. If killing is wrong, then killing is wrong.

How does it advance us as humans?

Also, ever noticed how after the execution, the victims' family are still not satisfied?

They usually say something like "They got off too easy, they should have suffered as much as my ______."

Closure indeed.

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    It does cost the tax payer something like $30,000 a year to keep somebody behind bars .

Well as long as they are in prison for less than 106 years, it's still cheaper than the death penalty($3.2 million per execution in Florida).

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit