Are You For or Against The Death Penalty?

by minimus 264 Replies latest jw friends

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Oooooh, controversial. You're right of course Ellie, but was the murderer thinking of his family when he commited the crime? Can't beat a good British hanging, and with forensics top notch since the abolition of the death penalty in 1966 (except for a couple of misdemeanors), we probably won't even hang the wrong/innocent person.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Good Question, min

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    Why should WE pay to house, feed, clothe and care for a killer?

Due to the lengthy appeals process, WE pay much more to execute someone than to give them life in prison.

• minimus
    minimus

Six, I don't think your statement is truly accurate.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    WE pay much more to execute someone than to give them life in prison.

Am thinking of Ian Brady - are you saying that 40 years B&B with room service costs LESS than a length of rope and slipping someone a ton to open a trapdoor? I think not - I'd open it for free.

• jula71
    jula71

For it, except when convicted on circumstantial evidence.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I am with Ellie on this but for different reasons...I dont agree with the death penalty, using 'an eye for an eye' ensures that everyones blind as Ghandi is quoted on numerous occasions.

Too many injustices have occured in the past and whilst our forensics are topnotch these days unless you see the murder or the offence you can never be 100% sure that the defendant did the crime...at least if they are wrongly imprisoned you can release them should their conviction be overturned.

Its just my opinion however....

DB74

• minimus
    minimus

If there is no doubt----I'm clearly for it!

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

- A New York study estimated the cost of an execution at three times that of life imprisonment.
    - In Florida, each execution costs the state $3.2 million, compared to $600,000 for life imprisonment.
    - Studies in California, Kansas, Maryland, and North Carolina all have concluded that capital punishment is far more expensive than keeping someone in prison for life.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/abolish/cost.html

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I think not - I'd open it for free

LMAO...I see your point...and I know theres thousands with you on it too...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit