Are You For or Against The Death Penalty?

by minimus 264 Replies latest jw friends

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Well I am not against the death penalty. But my issue is, how do the persons who have to carry out the sentence, the ones who pull the switch or give the injection or whatever, how do these people deal with the fact that their job is to kill people?

That is my only concern. I could care less about the person's life who has taken away other people's lives, I'm talking about serial killers and evil people; I'm not talking about self-defense or accidents or those type of situations.

• undercover
    undercover
    how do the persons who have to carry out the sentence, the ones who pull the switch or give the injection or whatever, how do these people deal with the fact that their job is to kill people?

Let the husband, wife, mother, father or child of the victim do it if they so wish. They took a life and caused us great pain and grief, I take their's in return. If one's conscience would keep one from pulling the switch then someone from the state would have to do it. How they live with themselves? Not much different than a soldier doing his duty and living with it I imagine.

• heathen
    heathen

I wonder if that's where the exspression kiss your ass good bye came from . They hold up the head long enough to see your own bottom . I do think the most civil ways to execute would be the gas chamber or lethal injection but that takes all the fun of it ................ a firing squad could do the trick . I was just thinking in the age of reality TV there could be something like the runningman game , we don't even need richard dawson ....... LOL

• jula71
    jula71

What method? Call me old fashioned but I like the $0.75 9mm slug. Not the crazy 3.2 million dollar figure, $0.75. But if the guy's a bad shot it could cost $1.50.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

richie,

good paper man. you make a good case. i am not in agreement, but none the less, i think you did a good job.

the rest of you for the death penalty,

the implicit assertion in all your comments is that you just "know", deep down, in your gut, what the proper course of action, and punishment/penalty ought to be. this seems like an emotional subjective reaction to me, and not an objective one. it is implicit that the logical thing to do, is to spill more blood.

i would like to know:

• were you get your morals from? (really think about it)
    • how you "know" when one should be put to death?
    • what exactly gives you the right to do this?
    • is the contradiction completely lost on you? if the murderer did not have the right to take one human's life, then what gives you that right?
    • what fiat of power are you working under?
    • do you not see this as primitive? (with full aknowledgement that the original crime was a primitive act of course)
    • how do you condone capital punishment, and yet not condone genocide and vendetta killing?
    • does simply being a member of a country with a judicial system give you the right to support state sponsored death?
  • Mary
    Mary

Hey Englishman, maybe you'd like to see the videotapes of Paul Bernardo raping, torturing and murdering young innocent girls and then using a chainsaw to chop one of them up, and then see her encased in cement..........just imagine some sicko doing that to your child and then tell me that you don't think that the bastard deserves to die.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

freedom96,

How about we charge ring side tickets, or perhaps pay for view? Take that money and do something good with it.

well, then in that case, why do it at the jail? why not build a big colleseum and invite everyone for a small fee to come watch some gladiators kill the prisoners as a game, just like the romans did? because that is what you are sounding like.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

undercover,

Why should we waste our money on scum like this?

i know, it sucks. but that doesn't change the fact that you do not have the right to take another human life just because you are tax paying.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

mary,

Hey Englishman, maybe you'd like to see the videotapes of Paul Bernardo raping, torturing and murdering young innocent girls and then using a chainsaw to chop one of them up, and then see her encased in cement..........just imagine some sicko doing that to your child and then tell me that you don't think that the bastard deserves to die.

really, now. no one needs to see the bloody disgusting video. enough disgusting things have already taken place by this asshole, showing the video would probably just make him laugh.

but you miss the point. repaying torture, with yet more torture, is Jehovah's job, not ours, remember?

• Englishman
    Englishman

Listen, someone hurts anyone in my family and of course I'd want to kill them. However, we hand justice over to a judge and jury so that the matter can be handled with some rationality. Just because someone behaves absolutely appallingly doesn't mean that we have to act in the same way. Violence breeds violence. If it's wrong to kill then it's wrong to kill right across the board.

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit