Compiling List-Trivial Items People Are Counseled Against

by love2Bworldly 92 Replies latest jw friends

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

My husband was counselled for not wearing a white shirt and tie. He was doing volunteer work at the assembly back when we still ran our own cafeterias. It was at the same assembly that the district overseer suddenly appeared with a green shirt. Up until then, for a period of time, the circuit overseer had been refusing to appoint any brother to a servant's position who wore anything other than a white shirt.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

My husband was counselled for not wearing a white shirt and tie. He was doing volunteer work at the assembly back when we still ran our own cafeterias. It was at the same assembly that the district overseer suddenly appeared with a green shirt. Up until then, for a period of time, the circuit overseer had been refusing to appoint any brother to a servant's position who wore anything other than a white shirt.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

~~LongHairGirl: In response to your comment about padded bras being available. They are very rarely available for D Cups and above. I remember a young guy in his 20's always walking up to me pointing straight at my chest and saying 'nipples'. It was awfully embarrassing but there was nothing I could do about it.

I got counselled for a dress that i wore that was literally ankle length but fitted around the bust - one of the elders found my bust distracting. (This same elder that had been busted for cheating on his wife and never got d.s. for it.)

No road runner cartoons - way too violent.

No Video music shows because its encouraging immorality.

pfft.... they want their rules they can have them. That's no way to live.

• talesin
    talesin
    I remember a young guy in his 20's always walking up to me pointing straight at my chest and saying 'nipples'. It was awfully embarrassing but there was nothing I could do about it.

Peaches, that just sickens me! 'Worldly' folks would not put up with this. None of the men who are my friends would tolerate that kind of behaviour. If a woman was too shy or taken aback to say anything to the jerk, they would do it for her! In some towns/circles, he would get a thrashing.

Oh, and she did try padded bras, but nope, they didn't do the trick. She found that out after they counselled her the second time, after she went started wearing the padded ones. The poor woman was so humiliated! grrrrr

t

• loosie
    loosie

I once wore a sundress to give a talk in the 2nd school, (it was summertime). I had worn this dress to meetings before and assemblies.

Well after my talk I got pulled into the back room, by an elder (we were alone together in the dreaded backroom). He told me that I was OVER dressed to give a talk.

I guess he couldn't handle my great rack.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Was counseled to get rid of a book teaching card and coin 'magic' tricks. I was told it would lead people to believe I had supernatural powers and would lead them to idolise or worship me.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Having a good time in service. Field service was not a time or a place to be going out with other friends. No telling jokes. No long breaks. I mean really...like it isn't painful enough they wanted to take away any joy we might get from it. It wasn't like we were goofing off walking door to door. We were telling some jokes in the car and laughing on the way to return visits. A**holes.

• Es
    Es

This is making me angry, i cant believe it well yes i can. My brother was goin to loose his privledges coz apparently the suit he was wearing was connected to homosexuals!!! My ex hubby lost his privledges coz he didnt ask my dad if he could go out with me es

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

my elderly dad was counseled cuz he was missing meetings.. he tried to express his feelings of worthlessness because of his age and bad eyesight and the elder told him they needed him there as a "seat filler" . a life time of service to jehovah , 4 yrs in prison for not going to war, a man who everyone went to to have the babylon the great book explained to them, raising kids in the truth, played a part in bringing at least 6 people into the truth that i can think of off the top of my head, and he's a " seat filler". it upset him so badly he told me and my sister about it, which was the first time he'd EVER said anything negative about any elder. he rarely goes except to the memorial anymore.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Believe it or not, in Georgetown, SC, in the late '70's, the elders made a rule "specifically" for the young, black sisters. No white sheer pantyhose were to be worn, as it was a fad. Also, there was a family of young, pretty sisters....the Lawhons. They used to go to the beach a lot and they all had beautiful tans. So they didn't wear those hot pantyhose in summer. You guessed it....they were counseled and they were not to have bare legs at the meeting or in field service.

South Carolina is blistering in the summer. I can remember sticking to the carseat. We were not a well-off cong, and most of the cars had no AC. It was torture to have to wear stockings for hours.

Also, my 11 yo sister was not allowed to give her talk because Brother Blake said her dress was an inch too short. It was at her knees. My mother had to rip out the hem so she could go up on the platform. 11???? What was wrong with these bros?

Absolutely no SOUL TRAIN. Even though back then it was relatively tame. I got whipped half to death for getting caught watching it.

In our cong.....

no football games.

no prom

no school plays

No R rated movies (a sister got caught taking a few of us to see Lady Sings the Blues, and boy was she in the sh*t)

No beards

No soap operas (they just switched to watching Dallas and Knot's Landing) hehe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit