Compiling List-Trivial Items People Are Counseled Against

by love2Bworldly 92 Replies latest jw friends

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I hope this is not a repeat of past threads and I hope to get a lot of response. I am compiling info of how people are treated within the WTS. I just read the post about a person being counseled for having baby shower games. Please post here specific items that you or someone close to you were counseled for, that in reality is not even related to WTS doctrine. Examples--driving a certain kind/color of car, having goodies after bookstudy, personal items or types of clothing, speech expressions, not going out to eat during assemblies, etc.

It's my birthday today, please do this as a present to me, even if you are repeating yourself from another post! :-)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Let me think now! Besides the usual ones:

I remember years ago being out in service and stopping for lunch at a deli and getting a package of devil dogs cakes with my order. The brother I was with told me he wouldn't get them because of the name!

One sister told me she thought only women with loose morals wore musk oil. Another sister told me I should wear clothing one size larger so they wouldn't be tight.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Having a moustache is fine, but hair below the lip will prevent you from having "privileges" in the congregation. Happy birthday!

FMZ

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

-I was counseled by a ministerial servant for shaving too much off the the back of my head.

-Counselled not to say "dang" because it sounded too much like "damn"

-Counselled against wearing my baseball hat backwards

-counslled not to go to McDonalds after an outing with other JW's because too many of us were taking up tables without ordering anything (okay, that one was probably valid).

-Counselled against watching the show "You can't do that on television" because the green slime looked too much like ecto plasma (how the hell would they know?)

• Emma
    Emma

I'd moved to a college town that offered wonderful music, theater, and movies. When I expressed how happy I was to have these things available, I was told not to take advantage of this worldly system. So, stay as bored as usual.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I was counceled for taking an Astronomy class in High School (I had to explain to them the difference between Astronomy and Astrology before they let it go)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Emma:

You are right about how they want you to stay bored. That goes along the lines of how you should stay home and look at four walls and not go anywhere on a holiday - as though God would be pleased. I guess he just wants us to be tortured. If you are smiling you must be doing something wrong according to their logic.

Sick!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Disapproval voiced by sister for me using euphemisms. Right, i have since changed to using the real swear words. Much more refreshing.

S

• Nellie
    Nellie

I was 13 years old, sitting in the front row at the meeting with my ankles crossed. After the meeting, the elder who conducted the meeting came over to me and counseled me against wearing fishnet stockings and crossing my ankles. Apparently, he was having a difficult time "concentrating" when he was on the platform. I didn't understand until years later what the problem was -- yes, I was THAT naive.

Poor Baby, I wonder if his wife put him up to it.

• talesin
    talesin

You are not gonna believe this! It's true.

There was married 'sister' in our congo who had nipples that are always erect. At times, of course, it was noticeable. She was (and still is) sincerely pious, and a pioneer for decades.

Well, the elders actually called her in and counselled her that it was stumbling some in the congregation - the provocative state of her chest! Why wasn't she wearing a bra?

What was she to do? Totally embarrassed she was! She told them that it was not her fault. She did wear a bra, but had this erection problem. She tried to dress so it wasn't obvious! So, they told her that she should try wearing bandaids across her nipples, so that they would not appear to be sticking up! She was not welcome in FS or at the KH if her nipples were obvious to all.

How disgusting! The poor thing was so embarrassed, she wore sweaters and jackets in the blazing heat, etc. Worse yet, she felt guilty. For her own body being the way it is!

If anyone dared to speak to me like that, I would tear such a strip off them you wouldn't believe it! Well, maybe you would. hehehe

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit