a wind of change

by stillajwexelder 107 Replies latest members private

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

LOL

Why do so many preface their comments with: I hope this doesn't get me deleted. ?

• Simon
    Simon
    Okay, I hope this doesn't get deleted. Actually, what bothers me more than swearing / attacks / insults is the inane fluff that has taken over the board lately. All the "good" stuff gets drowned out by the "blah blah". And it seems to be the "usual suspects" here as well. I wish Simon would do something about THAT. I've lurked here since late 2000. I'm a veteran of H20, to show my Internet Apostate age. H20 had more "heavy hitters", and despite the "rough and tumble," I miss it. This place had a different tone several years ago, more "heavy hitters" and honest intellectual debate and banter were more common.

Exactly. There has been too much nonsense and all I am doing is getting the site back to what it is designed for. What I see happens is that people get past their JW issues and perhaps should move on but because they have enjoyed the site and made friends they want to keep this going without it being there for the next people coming through. They start trying to turn it into their own personal playground and while we allow some discussion on other topics it becomes clear that some have no interest at all in posting anything else. Others get emroiled in 'wars and intrigue', often instigated by others or contrived, and it becomes a game attacking people and so on. All I am doing is putting my foot down and stopping this behaviour when I see it. The 99% of posters who post normally and properly will not be affected by this other than to have the loud-mouth yobbish element quietened down a bit. For this I expect to attract their ire and they will be vocal shouting that JWD is finished and changing and no good and not like the good old days (when they were allowed to post what they want). If people want to play silly games and intentionally cause trouble or waste peoples time and they are caught then yes, they will be deleted and no, it will not be a revolving door as in the past where people are allowed back on which, IMO, gives a mixed and confusing message of what is and isn't allowed. If someone is asked repeatedly "please don't do that" and they choose to keep doing 'it' then they are soley responsible for the outcome. People need to grow up and take personal responsibility for their actions and behaviour.

• Simon
    Simon
    Why do so many preface their comments with: I hope this doesn't get me deleted. ?

Because several people have tried to give the impression that people have been deleted only for disagreeing and have repeated this ad-nauseum to try and foster this idea. It is simply not true.

I find it fascinating that so many people have come out of the woodwork for this topic who haven't posted in months ... chance to have a dig is it?

• tyydyy
    tyydyy
    Because several people have tried to give the impression that people have been deleted only for disagreeing and have repeated this ad-nauseum to try and foster this idea. It is simply not true.

Yeah,

It's every body else, Simon. They all want to play their silly games. This is a place for serious..............um...........Fluff.

We can't have a bunch of people talking about how things are or how they should be. Why, we'd have anarchy. We'd have sex in the streets. Careful what you wish for.

TimB

• Simon
    Simon

Exaclty. Some don't like the fact that I don't allow their dumb fluff ... well, stuff that doesn't even qualify as fluff.

I don't mind interesting topics but really, what value are topics that are simply about how many spam posts you can make, how often you can post obsceneties or post sickening pictures. What value are they? What value are the posters who make them? I'd rate them both as zero or less.

All I am doing is putting a stop to it and putting the forum back on track as a discussion and support area for exJWs. Sure, people will meet and have friends on here and post some off-topic threads and have a laugh but they should not get confused and think that it is their personal gang-hut to do with as they please.

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

personal gang-hut???

I don't recall shelia or Xena making these vulgar posts that you're so afraid of.

TimB

• breeze
    breeze

All segments of life has rules....

You can't say sh*t in front of your MUM...right Simon...

So you guys should get over it and move on....

I am a well meaning poster and have been attacked many times for just a simple comment.....I have been abscent for many months and recently returned...

I have also had two of my few threads that I have started, locked...I don't understand why???

One was about gays....my brother is a poster here and is gay, my entire family is trying to deal with it...name of post ( Maybe being gay is a natural thing??? )

The other was about ( Other countries being jealous of the US....I believe this to be true....news casters and articles in US newspapers support this idea...not the UK but many other countries....see the US as successful and have a problem with it.....also locked before it even got started...

Simon you are anti US....we still love you and this board...

BREEZE

• Simon
    Simon
    I don't recall shelia or Xena making these vulgar posts that you're so afraid of.

Ah, so at last - the specifics that you have avoided coming out with so far.

I have commented on what happened with Shiela on the topic she started. The facts are the facts. I dont like people wasting my time with made up nonsense and this was not the first incident. Given the accusations she was making and the fact that it was obviously contrived I decided I did not want her posting on the site anymore. Why should I allow her to use my own site in her attempts to discredit me?

I warned Xena many times not to keep jumping on every post I made or anytime any topic about moderation was made and tired of her ruining otherwise good topics so again, my patience ran out.

Not that either of these have anything to do with you or you are owed any explanation at all.

Typical though that you are now going down the typical route of arguing without being able to argue. All you are doing is taking snippets of things I've said and twisting it to make it appear that I only delete people for making vulgar posts and so they shouldn't have been.

I'm not going to take part in this. This bandwaggon is over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit