a wind of change

by stillajwexelder 107 Replies latest members private

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

I used to post here regularly. I lost interest for a while and I haven't been around enough to get a feel for how things have been going. When I started posting here a couple of weeks ago I noticed some differences.

1) There seems to be more of a separation between the clergy and the lay people. There are some posters who've been here a while and proven their skills in kissing Simon's H$$. The "moderators" feel that they have the mind of the christ.....um the mind of the "take it or leave it" leader.

2) Recently I haven't seen any trolls. I haven't seen any big fighting threads. I haven't seen anyone being abusive. And yet, I've seen more people deleted in the last few weeks than I saw in the 2 years that I was a regular poster.

3) In the past, the only ones that were deleted (and simon was the only administrator then) were the trolls that were persistantly being personally abusive to the posters in such a way that it was impossible to ignore them.

4) The language was kept in check by the community. If someone became too vulgar the community would complain to Simon and the offending party would be warned. If the vulgarity continued then it would be clear that nothing else could be done but to limit access to that person.

5) The result of the current rush to judgement atmosphere is that it's obvious that people are afraid to talk about public figures. They're afraid to disagree strongly with moderators. They're afraid to actually speak their minds. It's demonstrated by the lack of tough subjects in the active topics.

I don't suspect that many here would agree because the change may have been gradual but it's not the same.

I'm not pointing this out so that I can be deleted. I'm not pointing this out because I've had my feelings hurt. I'm pointing this out in the hopes that some may want to go back to the way things were enough to make the changes.

Love you Simon.

TimB

• wasasister
    wasasister

HS: If I didn't know you so well, I'd think you were being condescending to me.

Yes, it is just a discussion board; I think we've established that. It does become increasingly difficult to tow the line when the line keeps moving.

I'll ignore the fact that you misspelled "perceived", because that would just be petty.

Thank you for your reply.

Wasa

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Azzie you are a sweet talker.

I send a lot of people here when they stumble across other boards. I want them to be enlightened and feel comfortable. I don't want them to feel stifled and unable to express themselves in their new-found freedom. I would like to feel confident that I can send someone a link and they won't resent me a year or two down the road for doing so. I came here because a friend sent me a link. Less than two years later I have no desire to participate here. Why? It's not because I have outgrown my jw issues. I just don't feel comfortable expressing myself here.

As I said before, a few people need to re-read Orwell's "Animal Farm".

I have to ask you, do you feel resentment toward the friend who sent you here?

If so, get over it, if not you're playing a silly game.

If you can't be part of the solution then you are part of the problem. Go on and send your friends links to JWD if you think it will help them not everyone operates from the same comfort level. Let them decide what they are willing to express and with whom.

I for one miss your participation here and saw you grow and blossom here, you allowed others to stifle that IMHO.

I love ya Azzie!

Kate

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Rev,

The WTS is a very small puddle which pretended to be the universe, these boards can suffer the same illusions of granduer. They have power imparted to them beyond reality by posters whose grip on reality is often more than suspect.

Take them seriously at your own peril. If they become your world, you become a screen junkie attached by emotion to the lastest post. The amount of XJW's who end up on such boards are minimal compared to those who enter real life without them, and often those that are the most dysfunctional are the ones at the root of many on-line problems.

HS

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Are you kidding me?

I wouldn't encourage anyone to send their friends here. Especially if they're newly out of the JWs. I'm not trying to be mean or say this is a horrible place or anything, but it's definately not for the faint of heart.

I'd venture to guess that a person should be 3 years out (at least) before ever hearing of JWD.

Just my opinion.

Rev

• RevMalk
    RevMalk
    The WTS is a very small puddle which pretended to be the universe, these boards can suffer the same illusions of granduer. They have power imparted to them beyond reality by posters whose grip on reality is often more than suspect.

Take them seriously at your own peril. If they become your world, you become a screen junkie attached by emotion to the lastest post. The amount of XJW's who end up on such boards are minimal compared to those who enter real life without them, and often those that are the most dysfunctional are the ones at the root of many on-line problems.

I don't (totally) disagree, but at the same time I see it as a stepping stone. It's a fine line really and sometimes a tough one to follow. You can't take anything too seriously, but the web and it's content serves many purposes (?).

I'm just saying that there is a wealth of knowledge and support to be found here. It can be used to serve those that need it, or it can be spoiled by those that care not.

Rev

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Wasa,

HS: If I didn't know you so well, I'd think you were being condescending to me.

How you could possible have reached such a conclusion is beyond me. Spelling a word incorrectly is far less a sin imho than completely misreading the mood of a post, would you not agree?

I am out of this thread Wasa, it is just another waste of valuable time. I answered your question honestly. Take from it what you wish.

HS

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Hs,

Do you really believe that the only people who need this place are those who couldn't make it on their own?

If they become your world, you become a screen junkie attached by emotion to the lastest post

How many posts have you made?

often those that are the most dysfunctional are the ones at the root of many on-line problems.

Now you're making sense.

TimB

• wasasister
    wasasister

(removed)

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

Okay, I hope this doesn't get deleted. Actually, what bothers me more than swearing / attacks / insults is the inane fluff that has taken over the board lately. All the "good" stuff gets drowned out by the "blah blah". And it seems to be the "usual suspects" here as well. I wish Simon would do something about THAT. I've lurked here since late 2000. I'm a veteran of H20, to show my Internet Apostate age. H20 had more "heavy hitters", and despite the "rough and tumble," I miss it. This place had a different tone several years ago, more "heavy hitters" and honest intellectual debate and banter were more common.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit