THE ESTRANGED FAMILIES LIST

by Dansk 117 Replies latest members private

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

My parents have passed away; however they were never JWs. My only surviving "fleshly" relative and the only other one of my family to take "the truth" is my younger sister. She's married to a 3rd generation JW and has a son. I left February 2004, she spoke to me last "live" in December 2003. All conversation between January/February 2004 was via email/messengers.

I sent a letter in August 2004 letting her know I was engaged to be married, and based on her less than loving or Christian response, I've now written her off, much like she has me.

Fortunately for me, my "worldly" family was never completely shunned by me and they pulled me back into their sphere without a question. Unconditional love in action.

• JW83
    JW83

My parents are no longer JWs but the whole shunning thing took a toll on the relationships between everyone in my family. Also I miss a few friends very much ... And my memories are tinged with sadness ...

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((Ian, Claire and boys)))))

You truly are like family to many of us. My sweet Uncle Ian with the beautiful accent. Seriously, I could listen to you for days. (I don't care what Simon says about it!)

Honestly, compared to so many others here, I haven't lost that much. My parents were the only JWs in my family. FHN said it best - we lose, they lose, nobody wins. Who have I lost? My daddy, my step-mom, and my two half-brothers, who I pretty much helped raise from infancy to pre-teens. I feel like I've lost some of my very own children. But I lost some very dear friends that I was raised with and some close family friends that were like family.

This is a sad list. But I know I have more blessings than loss, so maybe I'll start a new thread.

Andi

• Fleur
    Fleur

Born in, baptized at 12, left bad marriage and the organization in my mid twenties.

I have lost:

Every friend I ever had from birth to age 25, including the best friend who was closer to me than my sister.

Three cousins, also closer to me than my two sisters. I missed all three of their weddings, nearly broke me completely. Also lost their parents who half raised me.

One of my two sisters and her elder husband, with whom I had also been very close, lost.

The thing I regret the most, I know my grandmother was broken hearted about my leaving "the truth" and she never gave up that I'd get reinstated. She didn't outright shun me, but she spent a lot less time with me, and my child, than she would have had I stayed in. I lost a lot of time with her the last few years of her life. I know she loved me, but that really hurts. Those are hours and days with her that I cannot ever get back.

My mother still says that if push comes to shove with her congregation, she will shun me. but...so far she seems to need me more than I need her, so she still sees me. My dad is inactive and thinks shunning is barbaric, and could give a rats ... what the elders think. Of course, he's been through it himself, when he was df'd briefly in his youth.

I miss them all, but for the sake of my very sanity, life and for my child, I can't go back, not even to 'make nice'. It just can't happen.

They all know, because I've told them, that my door and heart is always open to them. They know how to find me should they change their minds.

One of the greatest joys I've had since leaving the Borg is that one of my oldest friends is out too now, and it's wonderful to have her back in my life.

I have to say though, that even knowing what I know now, knowing how bad it hurts to lose all those people you think make up the foundation of your life, I wouldn't go back and change a single thing. I have my own family now. And I'm free, I'm free.

((((((((Ian)))))))) love to you my friend...

essie

• bem
    bem

(((((((Essie)))))) And those of you who were born in or raised in the truth, I send you my love. I feel my loss no less than you all do, it's just that it breaks my heart to go through so much pain and lose the ones you love because of something that is such an un-truth. Sad. BEM

• Dansk
    Dansk

Thank you to EVERYONE who has participated thus far. I know how painful it has been for many of you to write down a list of estranged loved ones but, believe me, it will help many others who read it. It has certainly helped me!

Shunning, as has been mentioned, is utterly barbaric and it is yet another tool used by Watchtower to keep its members in check. They realise that if they step out of line they, too, are likely to receive the same.

This is a sad thread, but it is also very much an upbuilding one. To know one is not alone; to know one is amongst people who GENUINELY understand what one is going through because they have suffered likewise; to know one is now amongst genuine friends is a real uplift - and boy do we need that at times!

I sincerely hope my asking you to post your experiences hasn't opened up your wounds too deeply or exacerbated your pains. My own wounds were re-opened this past week but I managed to come to terms with what happened again. We wouldn't be human if we had no emotions, but at the same time our being truthful with ourselves; our not caving in to emotional blackmail and our holding fast to real truth is inevitably what will make our estranged ones realise that it is we who are the victims here. It is we who were right all along.

Oh, yes, it may take time - so many people's stories here are testimony to that. But I am always optimistic when I acknowledge that truth cannot be defeated. It may be pushed aside for awhile - but it always rises above the lie.

Please keep your details coming in. Your steadfastness to truth against so much pressure is truly inspirational.

Love to all,

Ian

• rwagoner
    rwagoner

Grandmother, Grandfather & Great Grandmother all died while still in the org.

Mother and Father remain faithful to the org but with little activity.

HOWEVER they STILL choose loyalty to the org over me...their only child.....along with my wife and two children who will NEVER be in the org !

• bem
    bem

U/D Mentioned this, and I have been thinking about it also after reading this thread. I shunned my so called worldly relatives when I joined the wts and was baptized. They never questioned my lack of attending meetings. Some were surprised because I spoke so loud and long about why it was 'truth'. I have been as adament about being wrong about the wts. as I was being sure it was the 'truth' I know I really hurt my Mother. < but then she looks for me to hurt her anyway, not mourning that loss) By that I mean we were not gonna get along or be friends no matter what religion I was or was not in.

Just another thought in this process of shunning ie. hurting family and friends due to this mess wts can teach us to inflict.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Very few of my family are JWs. Fortunately my sister left. My JW family do speak to me (I've never been DF or DA), but to be honest the strain on the relationship is horrid. Just yesterday my mother said something about a scripture and I began to comment on it, but she cut me short and changed the conversation. Thats the first time I actually registered that she's been told not to speak to me about "spiritual" things.

She calls my religion "a step backward" and says "we'll find out when armageddon comes" (veiled threat that if I don't change then my position with God is decidedly dodgy).

The most hurtful thing is that she repeatedly called me a Liar in front of my auntie. Venomously she said "you're a liar! a liar!" just because I told my auntie about the JW shunning. A few days later I told her I wasn't a liar and she STILL didn't say I wasn't.

So my own mother brands me a liar. My brother thinks I'm a bad associate. ALL of the JW friends I had do not want to know me. (The only friend I have who was JW has left herself just recently).

Sirona

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I lost all my previous JW "friends". Most of my extended family were JWs, so I lost them too.
    My mum and dad will now speak for the purposes of "necessary family business", as will my youngest brother (which is VERY rare). My other brother has had no contact with me since the "announcement" and has subsequently been appointed an Elder.
    My wife communicates at less than the minimum required (we're separated). Thank gawd we didn't have any kids!

My sister left the JWs before me, and our relationship is great (I was just down seeing her last weekend)! Her boys (my nephews) are the light of my life, hence my avatar-pic-thingy.

I've also made many many new friends both on and off this board.
    My reasons for leaving began as religious, and so I can truly say that "Christ is greater gain!".
    Matt.19:29

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit