The brainwashing around the "Schiavo" case...

by Brummie 138 Replies latest jw friends

• missy04
    missy04
    I'm comparing the situation. If we wouldn't let a dog or cat suffer like this, then why would we want a human to suffer like this?

I don't think we really know that she's suffering though, do we?

And Mary I apologize for being snippy..I am very sensetive to this subject.

• glitter
    glitter

OK, if this is just her husband's cynical plot to be rid of her, why didn't he just dump her on her parents and walk away years ago? Why is he involved at all?

• missy04
    missy04
    OK, if this is just her husband's cynical plot to be rid of her, why didn't he just dump her on her parents and walk away years ago?

I don't know if that is his plot or not, but my guess is that if he was just trying to get rid of her, he wouldn't sign her over to her parents because they want her alive and she may recover.

• Mary
    Mary
    I'm comparing the situation. If we wouldn't let a dog or cat suffer like this, then why would we want a human to suffer like this?

I don't think we really know that she's suffering though, do we?

OK, if she's not suffering, then she's obviously not aware of her surroundings and it would be pointless for her to be kept alive. If she IS aware of her surroundings, then she would be living a nightmare worse than anything the Brothers Grimm could ever come up with. I go back to my original question: Would you let your pet continue "living" if they were a vegetable like Terri Shaivo?

he wouldn't sign her over to her parents because they want her alive and she may recover.

Missy: There is NO chance that she will ever recover---end of story. Her parents are only fooling themselves to make such a claim.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

The court appointed Doctors to examine her. I am sure they did a thorough job. They reported their findings. The courts reviewed EVERYTHING and came up to a legal decision in support of her husband.

If every court and every judge sided with her husband, he MUST HAVE A CASE. The parents DON'T.

These are Terry's wishes and her parents are trying to force and impose their own thoughts and feelings on their daughter. My mother would love to force me to be a JW, but thankfully I can make my own decisions. Parents don't always let their children make their own choices, clearly in this case the parents are voicing THEIR opinions, not those of their daughter.

• missy04
    missy04

Ok, as far as if I would keep my pets alive if they were living like Terri: It would be a hard decision and it would depend on whether they were in pain or not, if they had any brain activity or not. But although I love my pets like family members, I wouldn't have the money to do that and I would have to make the hard decision to let them go and spend the money helping a human being. So I guess it's hard to answer that question because it would be different with an animal.

I will say that if Terri were a member of my family and I knew that she had asked me to not let her live in this state and that I was sure there was no hope of her coming out of it, I would have to consider letting her go. I just think the thing that gets to me the most is the whole starving thing...and that the person who says they know whether or not this was her wish now has a relationship with another woman and I would question his motives because of that, whether its because he wants to get rid of her as some people say or whether he just couldn't possibly be the best person to speak for her now that he has moved onto a relationship with a different person and may not have her best interests at heart.

• missy04
    missy04

This is a little bit of information from Terrisfight.org:

If Terri hasn't recovered after all these years of therapy, why not let go?

Terri hasn't had meaningful therapy since 1991, but many credible physicians say she can benefit from it.

MYTH: Terri is PVS (Persistent vegetative state)FACT: The definition of PVS in 2003->Ch0765->Section 101">Florida Statue 765.101:
    Persistent vegetative state means a permanent and irreversible condition of unconsciousness in which there is:

(a) The absence of voluntary action or cognitive behavior of ANY kind.
    (b) An inability to communicate or interact purposefully with the environment.

Terri's behavior does not meet the medical or statutory definition of persistent vegetative state. Terri responds to stimuli, tries to communicate verbally, follows limited commands, laughs or cries in interaction with loved ones, physically distances herself from irritating or painful stimulation and watches loved ones as they move around her. None of these behaviors are simple reflexes and are, instead, voluntary and cognitive. Though Terri has limitations, she does interact purposefully with her environment.

MYTH: Terri does not need rehabilitation
    FACT: 2003->Ch0744->Section 3215">Florida Statute 744.3215 Rights of persons determined incapacitated:

(1) A person who has been determined to be incapacitated retains the right
    (i) To receive necessary services and rehabilitation.

This is a retained right that a guardian cannot take away. Additionally, it does not make exception for PVS patients. Terri has illegally been denied rehabilitation - as many nurses have sworn in affidavits.

MYTH: Removal of food was both legal and court-ordered.
    FACT: The courts had only allowed removal of Terri's feeding tube, not regular food and water. Terri's husband illegally ordered this. The law only allows the removal of "life-prolonging procedures," not regular food and water:

MYTH: Many doctors have said that there is no hope for her.
    FACT: Dr. Victor Gambone testified that he visits Terri 3 times a year. His visits last for approximately 10 minutes. He also testified, after viewing the court videotapes at Terri?s recent trial, that he was surprised to see Terri?s level of awareness. This doctor is part of a team hand-picked by her husband, Michael Schiavo, shortly before he filed to have Terri?s feeding removed. Contrary to Schiavo?s team, 14 independent medical professionals (6 of them neurologists) have given either statements or testimony that Terri is NOT in a Persistent Vegetative State. Additionally, there has never been any medical dispute of Terri?s ability to swallow. Even with this compelling evidence, Terri?s husband, Michael Schiavo, has denied any form of therapy for her for over 10 years.

Dr. Melvin Greer, appointed by Schiavo, testified that a doctor need not examine a patient to know the appropriate medical treatment. He spent approximately 45 minutes with Terri. Dr. Peter Bambakidis, appointed by Judge Greer, spent approximately 30 minutes with Terri. Dr. Ronald Cranford, also appointed by Schiavo and who has publicly labeled himself ?Dr. Death?, spent less than 45 minutes examining and interacting with Terri.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    OK, if this is just her husband's cynical plot to be rid of her, why didn't he just dump her on her parents and walk away years ago? Why is he involved at all?

Heaven forbid that she may come out of it one day and tell what really happened the night she 'collapsed'.

J

• Odrade
    Odrade
    the reporter asked Michael if Terri has ever been able to have an MRI to double-check the status of her brain activity...he said NO!

They can't do an MRI because she has metal implants in her head because they tried neurostimulation to try to jumpstart her cognitive function. They can't do an MRI unless they subject her to neurosurgery first. It's good to get the rest of the story instead of just the emotionalist appeals where only the tiniest bit of information is given to try and make the other side appear monstrous.

• doogie
    doogie

odrade-

i'm always impressed by your voice of reason. sorry...off topic...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit