The brainwashing around the "Schiavo" case...

by Brummie 138 Replies latest jw friends

• Brummie
    Brummie

Up until this evening I had thought Teresa Schiavo was in an unconcious state, lying on a bed with just a machine keeping her alive. How wrong was I? I saw her smiling and showing awareness of her surroundings. The video caused outrage in me. How can they kill a person by starving her to death and think its ok?

Well first of all, to justify her death they have to say she is unconscious and feels no pain, even though she smiles and shows emotion, she is unconsious and has no feelings? What machine did they use to measure her conciousness? Where is conciousness seated? What exactly are they measuring when they "measure" consience? Where is the technology that weighs our consciousness? How do they measure her feelings? Yet it is on the very grounds of "Unconsciousness" that they are pulling the plug!

2nd, she is "Vegetative", this terminology is used to seperate her from us humans, only by accepting this will people think its ok to kill her. She is a vegetable, she is not a person! Is this not brainwashing?

3, how do you define someone who is a person? Am I only a person if I act like you do and have as much life in me as you do? "I am someones son, father, brother, uncle" all these things make me a person too dont they? My relationships define who I am as a person, not just my ability to jump around. As a person, (not a vegetable) Schiavo should be given all the treatment she needs or at least be given to the people she has relationships with (her mother etc) shouldnt she?

4, Schavio is not "brain dead" peoples definitions of braindead are abstract anyway, even proffesionals are in disagreement. They are even in disagreement on which part of the brain is associated with being cognitive, some suggest all of the brain is.

5, For arguments sake lets say some suffering from PVS may not experience pain, does this mean that all dont? Signs of "grouping/stereotyping" are ok in this instance?

Sorry if all this has been discussed....

This case is outragous, murdering this woman is morally wrong, unethical and a sign of worse things to come.

Admittingly we dont know how to communicate with people in the PVS but that doesnt mean they should die.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

(((((((((((((((((Brummie)))))))))))Your such a kind kitty. Thunder and I are beside ourselves on this case.Have been for years. I have written Sam Graves. I will be writing that BASTARD Dennis Moore in Kansas who FAILED to make it but wouldn't have signed for her. There are so many things wrong with this case. So, many??? and we have so many Doctor's one who was nominated for a Nobel Prize saying she can get better. Yet her "husband" who has a girlfriend and children with the GF. Has denied her ANY and EVERY form of therapy from the beginning. I hope that they storm the fucking place and take her somewhere or to some country that will give her a chance. She is on no ventilator, NOTHING. HER HUSBAND requested she have the feeding tube inserted..*shudders* *shakes head and wipes tear off her cheek*

• Mac
    Mac

And nurses at the hospice have come forth and said she has spoken...

ingested soft foods...

and a Nobelprize winning physician who is expert on such matters had examined her for 10 hours and says she is ever capable of rehabilitation.

I think her hubby should be charged with conspiricy to murder

mac,,just my opinion (and yes, brummie.there is life and spirit in those eyes)

• Brummie
    Brummie
    And nurses at the hospice have come forth and said she has spoken... ingested soft foods... and a Nobelprize winning physician who is expert on such matters had examined her for 10 hours and says she is ever capable of rehabilitation.

Oh my god, where is the justice in all of this, sick sick people!

I hear ya shiela, how can anyone not watch the videos and here what mac has just said and not get angry! geesh.,

• Mac
    Mac

OOOOOOPS...sorry Sheila........didn't see yer post so forgive my repetition.

mac

*edited for vowel juggling*

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

here's a link with quite a bit of information about her condition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiavo

I'm on hubby's side.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i dont know what to think about HER case.. but it has given me the opportunity to let the people i love know what my wishes would be.

i do feel its not something the federal government should be deciding. if you open the door to more control from gov't THEY may make the decision for YOUR loved one some day.

• Mac
    Mac

I appreciate what yer saying, Candy....

Get a living will people...

so people won't suddenly recall yer wishes after 7 years and utter such statements as."I'm gonna be rich"

mac

• Brummie
    Brummie

Dan, I can see how people would favour the husbands side and I am not judging them either way.

There are 2 sides to this story though, here is the testimony of her friends:

http://fight4terri.blogspot.com/2004/10/facts-versus-lies-by-cheryl-ford-rn.html

imo they should be spending the next 2 days getting her hooked back up.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

As far as Terri's brain functions, she is just trapped in her own body. I'm pretty sure you've seen the footage and heard sound bites of her trying to communicate with her family. It really looks like she's trying her best, but her brain won't let her do anything more. Surely, it's no way to live, but starving her to death is no way to die, either.

This weekend I'm calling my mother to relate my wishes if anything were to ever incapacitate me. If put in a coma where life support machines would be necessary, I would want to be taken off of them after a complete and thorough prognosis of my situation (if the prognosis was not good). If I were to ever contract a terminal illness (cancer or a degenerative brain disease), I want a DNR (do not rescusitate)order.

I know this will offend some, but if I was in Terri Schiavo's situation, I would hire Jack Kevorkian or some other clandestine euthanist for a quick and painless death. Trapped in my own body using a range of grunts, and being talked to like I was an infant is not how I want to live.

Now I'm not saying to kill Terri in that way--this is the way that I want to die if I was in her situation. The decision for Terri should be made by her parents who still have an abundance in love and caring for her, and not her husband, who was waiting to get rid of her since he first heard the words "Persistent Vegetative State."

laters

kaykay_mp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit