The brainwashing around the "Schiavo" case...

by Brummie 138 Replies latest jw friends

• Spook
    Spook

The utilitarian aspect on this is that the millions of dollars and thousands of man hours - all the human energy that are going into the coverage of this case and the possible additonal millions spent on indefinite life support could all be used to provide definite, statistically assured life to vast numbers of other perfectly healthy people, many of them children with their whole lives ahea of them.

I've had the related criticism against JW's for wasting millions of dollars on tracts about HIV's coming end in the la-la-land of the new system, when they could spend the millions on HIV treatment, prevention, and research. They cut down thousands of trees and run energy consuming printing operations - hauling around the country in SUV's, vans and huge cars, all so they can distribute stuperous magazines on the environment. Disgusting.

From a moral standpoint, her husband is in the best situation to know what she would have wanted. I hold him morally responsible for the decision.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    2nd, she is "Vegetative", this terminology is used to seperate her from us humans, only by accepting this will people think its ok to kill her. She is a vegetable, she is not a person!

Maybe we should eat her!!!

• Badger
    Badger

I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really SICK of this case.

At first, I felt a lot of empathy for the woman and her family. Now, I couldn't care less.

Politicians and the media have exploited this in a disgusting fashion, too, and in their usual lazy way: not reporting, uncovering facts or making honest observations but instead with an eye to repeat their own opinions and get attention.

When news hits, I ask myself if I'll be teaching it as history 10 years later. I doubt that's the case here.

and, while the nation is fixed on the vegetative life or death of a wealthy woman in Florida...

http://www.nbc5.com/health/4286333/detail.html??z=dp&dpswid=1167317&dppid=65194

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

The husband should have moved on long ago and would have had it not been for his religious views on divorce. He'll kill her, but not divorce her. It'd be laughable if it were not so tragic.

J

• Brummie
    Brummie
    I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really SICK of this case.

So what are you trying to say?

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

Lying in a bed for fifteen years, unable to move, and possibly in a lot of pain, and not being able to tell anyone how much it hurts, is like being buried alive above ground.

• Badger
    Badger

This is this month's shark attack/exposed nipple/missing mormon child/Ward Churchill/Flag Burning/Alar apples/Cuban refugee/mediterrenean fruit fly/mad cow disease/anthrax letter/Gay marriage/Freedom Fries/Scott Peterson/Martha Stewart NONSENSE that passes for news in our country. As soon as it ends, it won't be given a second thought.

Iraq. Mideast Peace. Energy sources and prices. This should dominate the news, not a family fight.

• missy04
    missy04

Brummie I couldn't agree with you more..

I am totally shocked and angry.

There is a petition on Terrisfight.org to save her life (under the "how you can help" section)..I don't know how much hope there is of it working..but I sure hope something works.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Lying in a bed for fifteen years, unable to move, and possibly in a lot of pain

Tiger, If this was proven to be the case then I doubt there would be so much media coverage and a humane way of helping her out of the pain would be considered.

However, whether she feels pain or not is an argument that doesnt work well for either those who want her dead or those who want her alive. Those who want her dead are arguing that she doesnt feel anything at all, thats why she should be allowed to die, she is a vegetable with no sense of feeling, no awareness of pain etc! Her brain doesnt respond to anything.

Those who want her alive say she has emotions, can feel, is aware, her eyes reflect the smile she has for her mother..

However, having these feelings would also mean that she can feel pain but cant disclose it, this would be awful. However she also smiles (which would indicate she is relatively at peace in her relationships). So the death sayers say her smile is just a reflex, she doesnt know she is smiling.

So the argument goes on...

• CaptainSchmideo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit