The brainwashing around the "Schiavo" case...

by Brummie 138 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

I couldn't read more than two pages of this thread without feeling agitated and starting to "wriggle" wondering what it would be like if I couldn't move. Yes, if it happens to me, give me a big send off and a huge shot of heroin, and I wont know anything.

• missy04
    missy04
    I don't blame this guy for moving on......he's flesh and blood and who can can we wouldn't all do the same thing if we were in that situation? I would not want to go the rest of my life in no relationship with someone.

I'm not saying I can blame him for it I just think he shouldn't be in charge of her if he has moved on.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I am in an outrage over this case. I agree 100% with Brummie. One thing that is so fishy about this is if the husband had had a conversation with his wife 15 years earlier, then why didn't they have Teri's wishes in writing in a living will. I don't trust this arrogant bastard one bit. He has ulterior motives I am sure. She has been off of life supports for over a week. What does that tell me? It tells me she has the will to go on . It is her God given right to live. If a person who is still breathing after the supports are taken away even in a state of this so called vegative state, who are we to kill her?

My father was in a PVS many days before his death and he was still on life supports and he died. What would my mother have done had she known dad was brain dead, she said she wanted dad off of the supports. I never told her dad was brain dead, sshe never knew, because I knew she would have killed him and I couldn't allow that. In my opinion my mother wanted to play God. I can't understand that. We can't play God. Its just wrong.

When did it ever become our right to play God?

Preventing Teri from having nurishment is in my opinion a slow MURDER. I would hope that I would never be in such a situation that someone could or perhaps try and end my life, because they thought I was vegative. I know that I will have things all in order. You know the biazzare thing of this is why for all these 15 years they didn't do anything. Why now all of a sudden?

Like I said I feel outraged that anyone would want to take the life of another human being no matter what. When people start thinking they are allowed to play God then heaven help mankind.

Whatever happens to Terri, I pray her family never allows her to die . She can be peaceful and painfree with medication and still be alive and smile.

And as for that other thing he should rot in hell.

Thats my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Love Orangefatcat.

PS. I know I am being strong willed here but please I hope no one takes offense to my feelings. I respect others.

• Odrade
    Odrade
    I found it alarming that she was able to swallow on her own until they put the feeding tube in, consequently that weakened the muscles so that she couldnt swollow later!

Brummie, on this point, I couldn't agree with you more. What is often omitted though, is though she could swallow her saliva, and small bits of jello, and lick juice off of a rag, she could not eat. She could not take in enough food/drink by mouth to sustain her life. Without the feeding tube she would have died, even before she could no longer "eat."

I also think it's terrible that, while she lives, she allegedly is not receiving adequate medical care for UTIs, nor complete dental care. I do, however, find it significant that there has been little mention of decubitis ulcers, which indicates to me that for someone who has been immobile for 15 years, she is receiving very good care. So I don't know which is the distortion here.

The situation is tragic, to be sure, and as I've said before, I'm not in favor of "killing" Mrs. Schiavo. But I do support the state law that allows a spouse to make this decision to withhold or allow treatment.

I think the analogy of blood transfusions is a very good one. If you asked my parents, brother, or a multitude of people who knew me as a JW, they would state unequivocally that I would never consent to use of blood products. My husband knows otherwise. And he is the only person to whom I have clearly stated my changed wishes concerning blood--an oversight I will have to correct.

I do also appreciate that this discussion here hasn't descended into accusations and name-calling. I am deeply saddened by these events, even if my opinion on the legal merits of the case differs from yours.

• Odrade
    Odrade
    She has been off of life supports for over a week. What does that tell me? It tells me she has the will to go on .

With all due respect, OFC, the only thing it conclusively means is that her limbic system is still intact. To say she has a will to go on is purely speculative. As to the "playing God," that accusation could be levelled at both sides. Truer that both sides are being forced to make decisions that no one should ever have to make.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Brummie

• exjwshell
    exjwshell

I think the biggest thing that is so upsetting about this case to me is the fact that it seems so cruel - I'll explain: It seems to me that Terri's parents, family, and friends should be allowed to be with Terri ANYTIME they want to without limitations and restrictions from her husband. You would think that if her husband was truly allowing her to die with dignity (as he's stated many times) he would want her family and those others that love her to be by her side comforting her and allowing them to say their goodbyes...not restricting visiting hours and monitoring their actions. If he didn't want her to appear to suffer, he would allow them to wipe her dry lips with a wet cloth or wipe her face with a cool cloth. Even if she really didn't know what was happening to her, it would give her family some peace that she, at the least, appeared comfortable.

I am NOT trying to make her husband appear monsterous - but, a wet cloth or a couple of ice chips, at this point is going to do NOTHING to re-hydrate her at this point.

A few years ago when my brother, Timothy, died of brain cancer, our family and friends would spend hours with him while he was in his final days. He was in a hospice at this point and we all knew he was there to die. He appeared unconcious most of the time and some of the doctors/nurses insisted that he couldn't hear us or feel us due to the brain damage, etc - we knew this wasn't true. A minister came in a day or so before he finally died and prayed with him and tears began streaming down his cheeks. He would open his eyes occasionally and just stare at us as if to thank us for not leaving him alone. We would wipe his dry, cracked lips with a wet cloth and make sure he appeared as comfortable as possible. If someone had put restrictions on us or didn't allow us to at least make him look/feel comfortable, we would have fought "tooth and nail" to uncover why!

My point is, (I think) that if Michael Schiavo would have worked with Terri's family instead of against them, thoughout all of these years, it would not have come down to this legal battle. I think that the secretiveness of sealing her medical records, and all of the court battles over the years have just made them all so bitter towards each other.

In my opinion, he should have just let her parent assume custody and then he could have went on with his life.

Because of my experiences with my brother and others in my family with brain issues/cancer, etc. this case has really hit me hard - I'm not trying to be arguementative - maybe it's just part of my own healing process...who knows!?!

Love, Shell

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Regarding the blood issue, would the courts allow babies to die? NO, they are not adults, they don't have decision making powers of their own.

Terry told 3 people she wouldn't want to be kept alive on life support. She is not a baby or a child, she made a choice. I commend the people that listened to her wishes.

I know if I got sick today my mother would push that I wouldnt' want a blood transfusion because I was a JW. Which is NOT the case. I am no longer a JW nor do I subscribe to their teachings. My husband knows that I truly would want in life. Think about your parents, do they know everything about you?

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

"I know if I got sick today my mother would push that I wouldnt' want a blood transfusion because I was a JW. Which is NOT the case. I am no longer a JW nor do I subscribe to their teachings. My husband knows that I truly would want in life. Think about your parents, do they know everything about you?"

That was my point - Non-JW parents against JW husband. The courts WOULD rule against the NON-JW's!

NewLight2

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

Actually the courts would side with whatever as in writing. If they had a signed "blood card" they would have to side with it. If the person had a living will stating differently, they would side with that. If there was no written directives they would side with the GUARDIAN, which once you're married becomes your spouse.

It comes down to, get your affairs in order, talk to your Doctor, put it in writting. Your choices and your requests will be honored but only if you make them known.

I discarded my "blood card" years ago, however if I had hung on to it, it could have been used because I had signed it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit