The brainwashing around the "Schiavo" case...

by Brummie 138 Replies latest jw friends

• franklin J
    franklin J

this is a very long thread and I have not read all the posts;

I do not pretend to understand every aspect of the legalities that are prevailing in this case;

however, I clearly DO NOT understand how a court of law can override a Jehovahs Witness parent to transfuse blood into their child, claiming that a blood transfusion is saving the childs life --AGAINST THE WISHES OF THE PARENTS-----------

and a court of law cannot override this spouses ( Michael Shiavo) decision to request a lack of hydration and nutrients ( withdrawal of feeding tube) which will kill his life partner. So much for the vows...."for better or for worse"...

....and the president is saying "to err on the side of life"?-----------this is like a Greek chorus

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

This is a new step for Michael:

"Felos also said that the chief medical examiner for Pinellas County, Dr. John Thogmartin, had agreed to perform an autopsy on Schiavo. He
    said that her husband wants proof of the extent of her brain damage."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=3&u=/ap/20050328/ap_on_re_us/brain_damaged_woman

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Newlight2,

I hadn't heard that. If true, that's good news, because he has been reported as planning to have her cremated.

Coffee

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Terri Schiavo Friend: She Often Had Bruises, Talked Divorce
    http://www.lifenews.com/bio849.html
    by Steven Ertelt
    LifeNews.com Editor
    March 26, 2005

Pinellas Park, FL (LifeNews.com) -- A friend of Terri Schiavo's says the disabled woman frequently had bruises on her arms and legs prior to her collapse in 1990. The comments lend further evidence to allegations that Terri's estranged husband Michael abused her and that those actions caused her current condition.

"I did notice bruises on her upper arms and upper legs," Jackie Rhodes told Fox News Channel's Greta Van Susteren. The two worked together at an insurance company's office. Rhodes said she wasn't phased at the time by Terri's frequent bruising and attributed it to "maybe running into the desk at work or, you know, maybe she was extra-sensitive."

"But now, hindsight tells me that I did see them quite frequently and
    that they may have been more than just a bump into the desk," Rhodes explained told Fox News.

"They were mostly bruises where normally they would be covered up, you know, during the work day," she said on Van Susteren's program. "They were smaller bruises, like maybe someone had grabbed her or, you know, like, squeezed her arm or leg really tight."

In her Friday interview, Rhodes revealed that Terri and her husband had a heated argument on the evening prior to February 25, 1990, when Michael supposedly woke up to find Terri unconscious in the hallway of the couple's St. Petersburg home.

Rhodes told Fox News that Terri called her in tears after the fight and she confirmed other accounts of Terri saying she and Michael
    had discussed a divorce.

Meanwhile, in an interview with the Orlando Sentinel newspaper, Rhodes said Terri had gone the day before to get her hair done and the fight developed because Michael disapproved of Terri spending so much money.

"It sounded like she had been crying," Rhodes said. "I asked her if she was OK. She said she had a fight with Michael. He was extremely upset with her because she had spent $80 on her hair."

Rhode testified in court during a previous hearing that Michael
    frequently made derogatory comments about Terri, such as Telling
    her that her legs were too skinny.

A bone scan conducted on Terri one year after she collapsed found
    possibly physical trauma indicating potential abuse. After Michael
    and Bob and Mary Schindler began their legal battle in 1998, local
    authorities said the scan was too old to investigate.

The Florida Department of Children and Families hoped to half
    Terri's starvation death for 60 days to look into various accusations
    of abuse and neglect, but Judge George Greer denied the requests.

Meanwhile, Terri's brother Bobby Schindler told Fox News Channel's Hannity & Colmes" on Thursday that a doctor has testified that she might have been strangled before she was found unconscious.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

There's no point for either side to continue debating, she's going to die soon anyway.

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

"A lawyer told me when I first got involved in this case that he (Greer) does not have a reverse
    on his transmission," Anderson said. "He apparently is too prideful to say 'I made a mistake. I
    made a mistake because I didn't have all the information and I am sorry I made a mistake."'

Judge Forced Into Schiavo Spotlight

Sunday, March 27, 2005

(search) that has been fought through his court, Pinellas County Circuit Judge George Greer
    has been under the protection of armed guards, and friends say his family also is protected.

Death threats have been made against him for allowing Michael Schiavo to remove the feeding
    tube that has kept his 41-year-old wife alive for the past 15 years, and the Southern Baptist
    (search) church that Greer belonged to for years has asked him to leave the congregation.

Greer ? a conservative Christian and longtime Republican known for an easy manner ? has
    become the public face of the judiciary in this internationally watched fight.

But despite the mounting pressure, he has been steadfast in his rulings that Terri Schiavo is in a
    persistent vegetative state and did not want to be kept alive artificially.

"There are very few people who have shown the will to stand up to raw power," said Stetson
    University Law Professor Michael Allen, who has studied the Schiavo case. "He's one."

"This is simply a case of people not liking this decision, and the fact that a judge is standing up
    to this is quite important," Allen added.

On Saturday, Greer rejected arguments by Terri Schiavo's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler,
    that their daughter tried to say "I want to live" before her feeding tube was removed March 18.
    They argued that she said "AHHHHH" and "WAAAAAAA" when asked to repeat the phrase.

Greer said that "all of the credible medical evidence this court has received over the last five
    years" suggests Schiavo's behavior is not a product of cognitive awareness. Doctors have said
    Schiavo's past utterances were involuntary moans consistent with someone in a vegetative state.

When informed of Greer's rejection, Bob Schindler reacted with somber sarcasm: "He did?
    Great surprise."

It was Greer who first ruled that Terri Schiavo was in a persistent vegetative state and would
    not want to be kept alive artificially. Three times he has ordered the feeding tube be removed,
    as requested by Michael Schiavo, and his rulings have consistently been upheld in appeals filed
    by the Schindlers.

Greer, 63, also stood up to congressional efforts to intervene in the case, rejecting an attempt by
    the House of Representatives to subpoena Terry Schiavo as a means to force the reinsertion of
    her feeding tube. Since then, other judges have followed in refusing to act under a newly crafted
    federal law allowing them to consider the case.

Greer, a former county commissioner, became a judge in 1992. He was recently re-elected to a
    six-year term, but has announced that he will retire once that term is up.

While in legal circles he is garnering acclaim for his consistent application of Florida law in the
    case, there has been a price.

Protesters now show up at his Clearwater (search) home. The FBI arrested a North
    Carolina man it said placed a $50,000 bounty on the head of a judge in the case, although
    officials didn't name the judge.

This past week, he parted ways with his Southern Baptist church, which had advocated keeping
    Terri Schiavo alive, after his pastor suggested it would be better if he left.

"You must know that in all likelihood it is this case which will define your career and this case
    that you will remember in the waning days of life," Calvary Baptist Pastor William Rice wrote
    to Greer in a letter than later became public. "I hope you can find a way to side with the angels
    and become an answer to the prayers of thousands."

Greer could not be reached for comment because of the frequent hearings on the Schiavo case,
    but longtime friend Mary Repper said she recently spoke with him and he judge sounds "worn
    out" by the case that has been on his docket for more than seven years.

"It's been going on so long and it's reached its fevered pitch," Repper said. "It's gotten so angry
    and so hostile, but he's still hanging in there."

Repper said Greer has taken comfort in being consistently upheld by higher courts, but his split
    with his church has been a blow.

"The people in that church should be ashamed of themselves, to demonize George and to ask him
    to leave for doing his job, for upholding the law," she said. "To me, that was the most offensive
    thing that has happened so far."

Greer has been asked to step down from the case five times and has refused.

Attorney Pat Anderson, who had represented the Schindlers for three years of the court fight,
    filed three motions for recusal but said she could not get Greer to budge.

"A lawyer told me when I first got involved in this case that he (Greer) does not have a reverse
    on his transmission," Anderson said. "He apparently is too prideful to say 'I made a mistake. I
    made a mistake because I didn't have all the information and I am sorry I made a mistake."'

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

"There's no point for either side to continue debating, she's going
    to die soon anyway." -- the_classicist

The side I'm on hasn't happened yet and there has really been little debate on it yet, as well.

I'm on the side that wants Michael to be on trial for wife-abuse!
    Whether he is guilty or not - I want all of the FACTS in this case looked at from a FRESH angle - in criminal court!

NewLight2
    I really am not for or against keeping her alive if she truly did want to die.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

how the hell can it be abuse to want your wife to die with dignity?

The only reason this has come up as an issue at all is because the guy wants to remarry and be happy rather than continue sitting beside a brain dead wife for another 15 years. She has no quality of life at all and whilst one day there may be the technology to improve her state, it certainly doesn't exist now and is unlikely to exist within the next 10 years, all the time she has no metal stimulation and is nothing more than a questionable consciousness trapped inside a shell.

The big problem I have with this case is that she is being starved to death, it would be more humane to give her a large dose of morphine and allow her to slip out of consciousness never to wake up.

There is alot being made here of the sanctity of life, there's a big difference between existence and life.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    The only reason this has come up as an issue at all is because the guy wants to remarry and be happy rather than continue sitting beside a brain dead wife for another 15 years. She has no quality of life at all and whilst one day there may be the technology to improve her state, it certainly doesn't exist now and is unlikely to exist within the next 10 years, all the time she has no metal stimulation and is nothing more than a questionable consciousness trapped inside a shell.

Well, as this guy already has another family, he can easily legally divorce her so that he can remarry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit