The brainwashing around the "Schiavo" case...

by Brummie 138 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Our culture is supposed to be so advanced. But we are letting this poor woman die of thirst and hunger? This is humane? We treat our animals better than this. This is just cruel.

I'm sorry, but the husband is nothing but a big prick. If he really loved/loves his wife, and is respecting her wishes, wouldn't he want her to go in some other way than starving her to death? I don't care if they say she can't feel any pain or whatever, at least let her go out with some sort of dignity, whether she aware or not. She deserves that at least.

I can't help but feel that he must be in some way responsible for the condition she's in.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    But we are letting this poor woman die of thirst and hunger? This is humane? We treat our animals better than this. This is just cruel.

She is in hospice. They don't let anyone suffer.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Good point Mulan. Nina's mother was in hospice for over a year. She did not suffer

Chris

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

If her body was capable of swallowing food and drinking water, then I think you could call this starvation. Truth is, her body shut down years ago with heart failure.

The invasion of her body with tubes, and the surgery to insert a feeding mechanism into her is what keeps her alive.

I have a great friend who is a nurse. She told me what conditions these people's bodies are in, they are chronically constipated, in fact impacted with feces. They can't do anything, they can't turn over, they can't drink anything, they can't speak. Think about your body in a bed for 15 years, her muscles don't work, they are only reflexes. Personally I think laying in a bed for 15 years is INHUMANE. Peacefully slipping into a coma and allowing to rest is the only HUMANE way to treat someone so obviously broken.

I would be mortified if anyone treated me like her parents have, made a public spectacle out of her. That is not what life is.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

The brainwashing around the "Schiavo" case works in both directions

This shows the importance of a "Living Will". I am very uneasy with this "he said, they say" scenario.

• Mary
    Mary

OK, I have one question: Who on this board would keep their dog or cat alive if they had irreparable brain damage? If the animal couldn't walk, meow or bark, or even go to the bathroom on their own, if they just lay there day after day, week after week, month after month, if they could only eat by being hooked up to a machine, tell me: who here would insist that their pet be kept alive???

I will go out on a limb and say that I sincerely doubt that ANYONE would let their animal live like this. As painful as it would be, you would do the humane thing and let them go to sleep.

So why in god's name is it okay to let a human live like this when her husband states that she said she wouldn't want to?? She can't do anything. She can't eat on her own, she can't talk, walk or do ANYTHING. The poor soul has absolutely NO quality of life whatsoever and there is no chance at all that she ever will. 15 years is a long, long time and it's simply wishful thinking on her parents' part to say she "could get better." She can't and she won't.

This is not living, unless it can be defined as a living hell. For god's sake, the most compassionate thing to do is just to let her die, so she can go on to a better place.

• missy04
    missy04
    OK, I have one question: Who on this board would keep their dog or cat alive if they had irreparable brain damage? If the animal couldn't walk, meow or bark, or even go to the bathroom on their own, if they just lay there day after day, week after week, month after month, if they could only eat by being hooked up to a machine, tell me: who here would insist that their pet be kept alive???

I wouldn't be letting them starve to death, there are more humane ways.

Why are we comparing Terri to a cat or dog??

• Mary
    Mary

I wouldn't be letting them starve to death, there are more humane ways.

You're right.....I think it would be best to do it quickly and just let her go. Starving her to death is bizarre and I'm not sure why they choose to do this.

I'm comparing the situation. If we wouldn't let a dog or cat suffer like this, then why would we want a human to suffer like this?

• undercover
    undercover

She's not comparing anyone to a dog. What she is saying is that if we, as humans, can't bring ourselves to prolong the life of an animal that has no quality of life then how can we bring ourselves to do it to another human who has no quality of life?

It's a shame that this is happening and I wish it could be proved that she was cognitive and could be rehabilitated. That would be cause enough to at least try, but from what I've learned (not from the parents or the husband) but from the medical experts who have sounded in on it, this poor soul doesn't have a chance at recovery. Why make her suffer more than she has already. It's time to face the facts and let her go, mourn and grieve her death and move on with life.

Ever see the movie, "Johnny Got His Gun" about the soldier who lost his legs and arms and couldn't see or hear? Though this movie was about war being hell, watching it and seeing this young man in his position makes you wonder what the point of living would be if we were in his place...or in Terry Shiavo's case. If she is cognizant at all, I'm sure she is absolutely miserable and would want to pass quietly away to a place where the pain and misery are no more.

• exjwshell
    exjwshell

This case is so upsetting! I just heard a telephone interview with Terri's brother Michael Shindler...the reporter asked Michael if Terri has ever been able to have an MRI to double-check the status of her brain activity...he said NO!

NO MRI??!! EVER! How in the world can this be legal! How can a judge deny the family rights to her medical records and to allow further testing?... According to her brother, Terri's, so called husband has refused to allow her to have an MRI EVER.

I think he (Michael Shiavo) should be arrested and charged with attempted murder. Give Terri to her parents-they love her or turn custody over to the state.

Why did her husband wait 7 years to bring up the fact that she stated that she didn't want to be on life support?...What is wrong with this man?

~Shell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit