What is good and what is bad music?

by hillary_step 113 Replies latest social entertainment

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Frankly, I think Chappelles skit that I posted above provides more relevant commentary on the subject than anything I've read from people on this thread. I suppose for most of us, 99% of music appreciation is emotional, when we first start listening. A child born with perfect pitch probably still starts out with mostly an emotional appreciation for music.

Seems to me, the argument boils down to how much emotion vs how much technical prowess constitutes good music. I can't imagine that a person with even a perfect technical appreciation would ever want that balance to be weighted heavily to the technical over the emotional. But then again, I have to admit that I just.don't.get the mechanical side of music. At all. I love music, but I suspect I have what people call a "tin ear".

• upside/down
    upside/down

Wow... I thought my "opinion"...taken from a "wine snob manual"...was inarguable..

You my friend have proved me "wrong"....again.

Personal preference can never be a measure of what is good, and what is bad music.

IMO...you're a nincompoop (sp?)...

And truly fill the roll of both wine and music SNOB...

u/d (of the likes what I like class...)

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...

• upside/down
    upside/down

So... are the "Kingdom Melodies"..."good" music?

Cuz I hates em...

u/d (of the boorish class)

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    Coryell, it seems,certainly does not feel my statement to be 'ridiculous'.

By your logic he never should have bothered playing until he got proper training?

I'm sorry, but I still find your assertion elitist and ridiculous. While they might have encouraged the study of music, none of the truly great (jazz)musicians of the last century: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Monk, etc. would have ever made a statement like that. And I would challenge you to find one.

People used to make fun of Charlie Parker for listening to country music on the jukebox, "Why do you listen to that stuff."

He'd say "Listen to it. There's a real story there."

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Slim Whitman is a God

'nuff said

~Hill Ewwwwww! Do people actually listen to Slim Whitman? No offense. I enjoy all kinds of music. I usually judge musicians by not only the quality of the music but also the quality of the lyrics. What I really despise is crap like Britney Spears, people who have no talent but are just trained little robots.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Might I ask then, are you saying that there is no such thing as 'bad' music. If so, on what do you base that opinion?

I think there is bad music but I think I am a poor judge - I dropped music at school as soon as I could and only later in life have I tried to acquire a taste for different kinds. I started to really enjoy opera when my father kept buying tickets and I went to a few (hey he even got a box once) - but it really took time. Some Wagner I still struggle with expecially Tristen Und Isolde. I prefer Verdi.

I base my opinion on nothing -sorry - lazy answer I know - I base it on (if I am truthful) what other people who know quite a bit about music and certainly far more than I do - on what they say is good music - again very lazy of me I know

The Jazz and Folk is just personal preference

• lawrence
    lawrence

This is a splash from a 1996 article, and if anyone wants the link, I'll go find it, and PM me, but the first 2 paragraphs speak boldly:

"When jaded music-nuts, chin-strokers and hipster whipper-snappers mull about things like 'where did punk rock come from,' very rarely do you hear anything about jazz. Some poor souls are under the misconception that "jazz" only means Chuck Mangione or George Benson, forgetting such pioneers as Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane, Sun Ra and Albert Ayler, all of whom are the real grand-daddies of punk.

To see the connection, you have to go back to the original performers who influenced punk. Usually you hear about the MC5, the Stooges, the Velvet Underground and Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band. One thing all of these amazing groups had in common (other than not burning up the charts) is the raw grit and noise they splashed across their records, something that had been lacking in rock for a while. One other important common denominator is that they were all jazz fans, using their guitars to imiate their favorite players or actually using horns themselves."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loved that comment about Charlie Parker at the juke box - right on man!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Elvis once said on his TV show in 1967/68? that all Rock and Roll music is basically Gospel or Rhthym and Blues - meaning that RR was heavily influenced by these types

• prophecor
    prophecor

Music. It has the ability to be delivered with great depth and structure, by those who are proficient in thier craft. Chord structure, the blending of chords, can all play such a wonderful part in the creation of music, and not just the traditional F to C back to A, but those who can richly take chords and work magic with them.

The balance of a good rhythm section, and everyone plays their part in the fabrication of a great piece of art. There are those who have the capacity to transform music into a wonderful picture thru sound. It doesn't have to be loud or brash, but can be as subtle as one trumpet.

I think of Chris Botti, he was playing " My Funny Valentine " on a popular talk show one afternoon, and hearing him softly, as if making love to his instument, playing that trumpet, with the sensuous soothing energy that was in his soul, he was able to take even my breath away.

Music is best, when it's delivered thru your soul. There are those who now how to play, and then there are those who are as if a channel, to some power within themselves that brings about an energy in their music, that goes unmatched. Anyone who's a fan of Stevie Ray Vaughn, the blues and the music that comes flooding thru is instrument, knows what it means to have ones instrument become one with the musician. Some folks play but there are those who live.....

Training in the mere basics is a must for most musicians. There's a whole host of things that will come up missing when one doesn't have the basics, structure, music theory, and the like incorporated into thier musicianship. It's not just about sound, and notes, but involves math and numbers. If you miss the basics you will come up short.

It can be likened to two people going on a journey of 10,000 miles, one has a map as a guide, the other is using satellite navigation, you both get to where your going, the one using the satellite GPS systems, however, usually gets there with a lot more ease and understanding, so to the one who has a better than basic understanding of music and all the other related principles, will usually have a better chance at becoming a great musician.

• lawrence
    lawrence

H Step-

I have a friend in Phoenix and he says there are 3 great musicians of the 20th century - (Duke Ellington, Sting, and Stevie Wonder). He's a player, and has become a musical SNOB.

See, the problem with Ellington's statement is quite simply this - Duke never made it to the CROSSROADS, so he was a SNOB too. How about you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit