What is good and what is bad music?

by hillary_step 113 Replies latest social entertainment

• minimus
    minimus

Big Tex, this is fun and funny!

• Valis
    Valis

I like all kinds of music, just not all the time.

If I am at a classic rock concert like Santana, which I have seen several times, then I would say that is good musica.

If I am at a dance club and the beats are making people dance then then I would say that is good music

If I am at a badass rock concert like the Butthole Surfers or Ween or Cake and the crowd is going nuts then I would say that is good music.

If I go to a symphny or opera and it makes my muses start to riot then I would say that is good music.

If I am at a rap concert that has a good sound system, dj, and mc with rhymes that are catchy/with the beat then I would say that is good music...

AND if I am at a venue where the music doesn't do it for me I leave and go find the good stuff...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• minimus
    minimus

Valis, it's so simple. We can understand. Some geniuses can't tie their own shoes, you know.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

good music is what you download from P2P file sharing programs.

• minimus
    minimus

Pleasuredome, that's a real no-no on a Hillary thread. Say bye.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Dang minimus, d'ya think you've crapped on HS's thread enough?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Dave Chappelle and John Mayer show compelling evidence that what is "good" and what is "bad" music are very different things depending on if one is negro, latino, or white americano (click on the video labled "Electric guitar, drums, or Electric Piano?") : http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/chappellesshow/showclips.jhtml?startIndex=7

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Good and bad music are in the ears of the beholder. I love Debussy. I love hearing mountain musicians, if the players sound good. A complex arrangement can sound good. Sometimes a complex arrangement can sound bad. A very simple arrangement can sound good or bad. Someone may be trained to compose and arrange music, but it doesn't mean they have the talent and magic to compose good music. Some untrained musicians and songwriters who cannot even read music compose classics that are universally loved.

It seems there is a magic that brings all the right elements together to make good music. Why is that some songs, while they may sound good initially, become old fast? You tire of hearing them. Then some songs, no matter how many hundreds or thousands of times you hear them, they always sound good and you never tire of hearing them. To me, the best music is music that always sounds good, no matter how many times you hear it.

My mother was a classical pianist. I love good classical music. Not all classical music sounds good though. We have a public radio station here that plays what I call classical jams. I don't really care for meandering classical jam type music. I prefer some form to the music. That's also the reason I like Axis Bold As Love better than Electric Lady Land. Axis is just tighter. I know people that prefer Electric Lady Land. They like the jam quality of E.L.L. better. Again, good is in the ear of the beholder.

I think most rap music, Britney Spears and most current rock music sounds bad. There are a lot of college kids, who work where I do, who whine when the bosses play classic rock or oldies on the kitchen radio.

By the way, Mom could play Clair De Lune and mom could play Cast Your Fate To The Wind, Wipe Out or Pipeline and make them sound just as good.

• onacruse
    onacruse

HS, your observations about the technical subtleties of well-arranged music constituting it "good or bad" strike a chord.

Kate and I recently went to a John Mayall concert, introduced by a band from Seattle. Now, mind you, I've never been much of a concert-goer (did a George Benson thing about 30 years ago...but just because he was a JW ). This band from Seattle seemed pretty darned good; I was a-tappin' my foot. My never-a-JW friend (who minimus chooses to disrespect ; what's the matter, minimus? Not getting enough customers to occupy your time???), advised me that the best was yet to come. And indeed it was! The lead guitarist in John Mayall's band played almost effortlessly, with chord structures and lead-ins and riffs that just seemed to flow from his fingers...hardly any of the 'physical' bouncing around that the young band from Seattle demonstrated. And the way Mayall's team "worked" was so impressive; it was like a train.

And another experience: when I was at Bethel, in the North Bronx congregation to which I was assigned (a whole 4 of us "white boys" were there), I had the distinct pleasure of meeting a fellow that was in the band that played Crystal Blue Persuasion. Now, insofar as I had dabbled a bit with the piano, I had a little 5-chord sequence that (what did I know? LOL) I thought was pretty impressive! I played it for him once! and he took it over and proceeded to astound me with his keyboard work...he was kind enough to tell me that I'd come up with a reasonably decent start ("for a white boy" were his words! roflmao)

So, in answer to the intent of your proposition: imo, there is good music, and there is also bad music, technically speaking.

As others have said on this thread, there is also the interpretative nature of music.

Creatures of a different breed.

Respects

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It is all down to taste - I personally struggle with rap - but that is just me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit