What is good and what is bad music?

by hillary_step 113 Replies latest social entertainment

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

A hundred years ago or so, when women did not all look the same and screech like ancient hinges, and strip malls were just a nightmare in a squirrels mind, I wrote a Jazz column for a newspaper. It did not last long as I was eaten up by the WT and became a Regular Pioneer with an irregular notion and a pile of scruffy S8's.

I well remember one issue in which I took great exception to a comment made by Duke Ellington which seemed to me to be far to general and subjective to make much sense. These were, you must remember, the days of experimentation, not just in music but in every avenue of life. Days before Reality TV and greasy little rap singers, honed on drone. Days, even before Disco gum, 'careers' and the such. This is my shallow defense for being far too small a person to see his point.

Like most young people throughout history I thought that what I had to say was actually important and had not been said, generally with much more flair by others, hundred of times before. Youth, as Bernard Shaw once attested, is wasted on the young. I reckoned that the Duke should step aside and gracefully retire before the final score was announced.

His statement :

"Music cannot be categorized - Neither into Jazz nor Classical, not into Rock or Folk or Soul or anything else.... There are only two kinds of music - Good and Bad".

I have knocked around the trade for a long time and met some first class musicians, recorded with a few, written for some, failed many others, but for some reason this weekend these words have drifted in and out of my mind and I have finally understood what the Great Duke meant. It has taken a long, long time, but now I really understand.

Do you? How do you identify what is good and what is bad music?

HS

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I believe that good music is that which opens a door into your soul that you have never peered through before, and gives you a glimpse of yourself in the third person. Music that for whatever reason allows you to see something never before experienced, be it emotion, understanding, possibilities of the future, or the meaning of a past decision.

Bad music traps the listener in a box, and narrows their view of the world and themselves. It belittles, tears down, and leaves the listener emotionally and morally raped; it steals from them what is beautiful.

J

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Good music I find very hard, perhaps imposible, to pinpoint exactly why I like it. Bad music all gets the same condemnation from me: irritating. I'd venture to guess that the Duke would've had a similarly hard time defining "good" music, though I'm sure any attempts he made would be much more meaningful than any I might attempt.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Music is strange. I like music that makes me think. Bad music just annoys me. Different people have different tastes.

Dustin

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Moody Blues concert I went to ..they played with an orchestra..........it was awesome music, so that was GOOD.

I would say William Hung from American Idol was very BAD!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there're a lot of "soulful" things happening lately. Is there an allignment of the planets of which I'm unaware?

HS, your personal involvement with the musical 'industry' may disquailify you from further comment, as being a biased witness! LOL

However, if I may share a personal experience, just from this last week: A very long-term friend, who's never been a JW...there was a particular song that came on the radio while we were working together, and when I stopped hearing the sounds of his hammer, I thought that something was wrong, went upstairs, and he was sobbing his heart out. There are excruciating personal circumstances which led to this confluence in him, on that day, at that moment, as a result of that song, about which I will not say more: except to say: it was that song that drew (or, maybe better said: allowed him to draw) the feelings out of himself.

In that respect, I'd say that there is no such thing as good or bad music.

You touch a visceral point.

Craig

PS: otoh, I hate Rap (but then that's just me, eh?)

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

There's a lot that I like that other's might regard as pure kitsch so I don't know, seems very subjective.

The same way some people marvel at Ann Geddes "art" and yet when I see it I want to vomit.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Good music is what stirs your emotions in some way. What I think is good music is probably someone else's bad music. My son and I are always going back and forth on what is "good" music and what is "bad" music. Maybe this is one of those questions like...Who Created God? Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Cathy L.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Cathy, I love your little rock n roll smiley face dudes!!

Dustin

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    How do you identify what is good and what is bad music?

Good music stands the test of time. After you get a few years under your belt you have had exposure to lots of different music and you refine your tastes. You're not so liable to fall in love with a song just because some corporate music company is paying for heavy rotation of a particular ditty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit