What is good and what is bad music?

by hillary_step 113 Replies latest social entertainment

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Six....

"..what he did in the past faded into insignificance." To me that means you feel that what he did before receiving "academic training" is now essentially useless music. Yet you did enjoy it at one time?

That is not what I feel at all. It means compared to what came afterwards it faded into insignificance. It was certainly *not* unworthy music, I still enjoy listening to it today thirty five years later. Who can argue that the music Mozart composed as a young man had merit? Who can deny that his later works were far more advanced musically? That this the point at issue. As a person learns their art, they become more proficient at it.

For example, when a guitarist first plays 'E' major, he may feel that he invented this chord, but it was actually structured by academics and he is building on the work of academics. Some musicians, like Joni Mitchell, invent new tunings to produce a 'sheet of sound' feeling, a practice that she learned from a teacher from the east.

Coryell himself has taken this stance towards his early music, why do you have such difficulty doing so?....lol

Best regards - HS

PS - I am taking off now and will be offline for a few weeks.

• upside/down
    upside/down

h_s- I'll miss you....

u/d (of the I mean it class)

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    Coryell himself has taken this stance towards his early music, why do you have such difficulty doing so?....lol

The only difficulty I have with his music is actually listening to it.

Not much of a fan to say the least.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    The only difficulty I have with his music is actually listening to it. (I feel the same way about Kingdom Melodies!)

That's hilarious....and TRUE!

It's like some assface snob telling me that fried cow ass sphinctor is a "delicacy"...all the "professional experts" agree.

Still tastes like ass to me.

u/d (of the still says "good" is subjective class)

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    Loved that comment about Charlie Parker at the juke box - right on man!

Cool! I remember hearing that in the Ken Burns' Jazz documentary. Which, (although it has its faults)is definitely worth watching.

Usually you hear about the MC5, the Stooges, the Velvet Underground

You know, as much as I've tried, I've never been able to get into that Detroit/New York stuff(add Patti Smith, Television, Richard Hell, New York Dolls, and solo Cale to the list). It always seems like a lot of pretense, attitude, posturing and very little else.

Is there something wrong with me?

• lawrence
    lawrence

H.S.-

So... you're a "professional musician" - then I propose one thing:

Post your music and let US decide if it's "good" or "bad." Stop with the theory crap, let us put an ear to your "training." And it better be good sucker, after all your pontifications! You post, I'll post my recordings, and others will post too.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

imo...some of the kingdoms songs are very good...they have pleasant melodies and interesting chord structure and subtle chord changes..i say some...most are awful..some are lazy but that fits with the jw mentality that everything must be humble and modest...even so they are still technically difficult to sing

i suspect that those that dont like them have this opinion because of what they remind you of...much as i would suspect that most concentration camp victims have no desire to listen to anything german

the key to this whole thread is the expression..imo..used so often through-out...not even imho or imvho or imao...because ultimately with music we do know what we like..so whether it is god or bad is irrelevent

since starting my music course i have a greater understanding of the formation of music, the theory, the history, aswell as the difficulties of getting the balance right...in both recording and performing..

because of this i have listened to music i would normally not have listened to..jazz, rap, punk, heavy metal, the beatles

now i can appreciate these genres a whole lot better...but in all truth it doesnt make me like them more.. i still think most jazz rap punk metal and beatles is awful

but then i like cheap wine made from poor grapes

ps...imao..i write good music..but for the life of me i cannot get recorded the sounds i have in my head

• upside/down
    upside/down

Ooooh....sounds like a dare...It's a double dare....- Dumb&Dumber

u/d (of the h_s just got called out class)

• Terry
    Terry

Surely we recognize the difference between objective and subjective.

What is objective is THE SAME for everybody. This table in front of me is the same table to all of us. The taste of momma's biscuits is another matter.

Music is vibrations of the air that reaches our ears. How we receive it and interpret it requires something of us in the way of skill and experience. Else, our opinion is just personal taste and nothing much else.

Well performed music by musicians who care which is well-recorded is a big plus with me.

Music composed just to show off or make a buck is seldom something I enjoy.

Music made by others and performed in order to make somebody famous leaves me cold.

Much of what passes for pop music doesn't reach me emotionally.

THERE IS LITTLE THAT IS BEAUTIFUL anymore.

T.

• minimus
    minimus

I'll bet Hill can't even snap his fingers. Probably one of those guys that listens to the music to see if it is intellectually pleasing. Souless old white guy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit