What is good and what is bad music?

by hillary_step 113 Replies latest social entertainment

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Personally i find music that moves me is the best kind of music and bad music plainly annoys me, but as to how good or bad music are defined i think it is upto the individual.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Being a musician myself, I can attest to Mr Ellington's words from this angle, however, that music is either constructive or destructive. Even within those boundaries, there are still shades of gray. For instance, I've listened to what could be described as some of the harshest of rap music. Folks like Ice Cube, Tupac Shakur, Notorius BIG, Shawn Puffy Combs, Ludacris and the like, and though their message is for the most part un-constructive, and in the likes of most, destructive, I was still able to take something away from their music, able to acquire a more clearer picture of who these individuals were, by not so much paying attention to the messenger, but the message they were sending. These individuals have struggled to raise themselves outta' da' hood, and though their messages reflect violence, drug use and abuse, dope dealing and various other poisonous aspects of reality in the black community, I can still see, and to some extent, admire their drive, dedication and determination to make it out of the ghetto by any means necessary. I get a window to look into their world, where under any other circumstances, would not be allowed. I'm given the opportunity to get to know how and why, the people of that generation feel the things that they feel, as their music is often a reflection of themselves to some degree in real life. On the other hand, I've listened to some of the most painful and near hellish rock music that could ever be listened to. Alice in Chains I have a particular penchant for, though much of their music reflects drug use, depression, angry at the world mentallity and a very hopeless outlook towards life. And I still listen to it. because I feel like those words and the music of those songs. I'm no stranger to country music, I think country music is some of the most honest music one can listen to. They tell the stories of regular folks, living regular Joe lives, and they can weave like a tapestry, a broad textile of human emotions, life experiences, a lot of which I can relate to. Adultery and alcohol abuse, however, are common themes in their music as well so it just goes to show that destructive energy exist in all types of music. And everything that falls in the middle, either sinks or swims, according to the talents or lack there of, of the musicians themselves. Music is an easy target for those who hate the messages that are brought to life, but if you start to pick on them, then you'll need to pick on the TV shows, cable, theatre and the like, to police those with similar voices Bottom line, music is a vehicle that I use to my advantage, to get to know those I would normally never have contact with. I'm able to get a pulse on the country, just by listening to the music of other cultures and other generations. Music is eternal, spiritual and the only true means of universal communication. Music can speak more fluently than words alone, and even where there are no words, communication will always be present.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Megadude's words remind me something I heard from a music critic: "There is no such thing as an unrecognised masterpiece."

Taste is subjective, not arbitrary...

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Good morning!

What 'good music' is definitely depends on personal taste; who can really understand ordefine anyone's personal taste?

For my taste, heavy metal and hard core rap are bad, terrible, horrible music!!! That kind of sound fuels my anger, and I cannot function listening to that noise.

DY

• minimus
    minimus

Next time I go to the music store I'll ask the clerk just where the good music is---not the bad......Obviously, classifications are helpful, depending upon the type of mood you might be in......Just because music is in a certain category it doesn't mean it's good or bad. I'm surprised it's taken you all these years to figure that out, Hillary. Next time don't pioneer.

• minimus
    minimus

Craig, your co-worker is a bit emotional, no??

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

Thank you for your comments. My main issue with a lot of the comments is that they seem to identify good music and bad music at that, merely on an emotional level. I understand this because I would have argued from a similar station for many years, citing a musical incompetent like Robert Johnson and a musical genius like Spohr as examples. Both elicit emotions of enjoyment from their listener despite the enormous variation in academic competency.

Let me put the question another way. Is a piece of music written by a skilled and trained musician with a knowledge of counterpoint and melody and composition etc. better music than that produced by a back-woods fiddler from Arkansas who does not even know what a semi-quaver is?

I think the secret to understanding what Ellington meant in the simple statement above, which is actually incredibly complex in implication, is that good music requires a skilled ear, not our emotions, to recognize it as such. It is therefore much less subjective than one might think.

Of course, I could be wrong, that did happen once.

HS

• minimus
    minimus

Which is better? A ham sandwich or a filet mignon? If you are looking at which is more pleasing to your palate, it could be easily one or the other---depending upon what you want at that time. Sometimes, a McDonald's cheeseburger is just the right thing at 2 o'clock in the morning after a heavy night of drinking.........Sure the filet is better but not for that moment.---------I can enjoy music because it is performed by excellent musicians. I may enjoy a soprano's voice and appreciate how high a singer can hit a note with nothing amiss. BUT, I'd rather listen to the soul and R&B of the Temptations or Marvin Gaye than listen to the 4 Tenors. So I guess I'd rather enjoy music that brings out feeling and emotion with a R&B flavor than enjoy the Philharmonic Orchestra performing classical masterpieces.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Is a piece of music written by a skilled and trained musician with a knowledge of counterpoint and melody and composition etc. better music than that produced by a back-woods fiddler from Arkansas who does not even know what a semi-quaver is?

no.

My main issue with a lot of the comments is that they seem to identify good music and bad music at that, merely on an emotional level.

Actually, the power of music is its ability to stir emotion. To say that music is good or bad based upon how complex it is, or how intelligent and trained the writer is, smacks of intellectual snobbery. There is no such thing as 'merely emotional' since it is emotions which, in large part, drive the history of our entire race.

J

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Minimus,

Which is better? A ham sandwich or a filet mignon? If you are looking at which is more pleasing to your palate, it could be easily one or the other---depending upon what you want at that time. Sometimes, a McDonald's cheeseburger is just the right thing at 2 o'clock in the morning after a heavy night of drinking.........Sure the filet is better but not for that moment.---------I can enjoy music because it is performed by excellent musicians. I may enjoy a soprano's voice and appreciate how high a singer can hit a note with nothing amiss. BUT, I'd rather listen to the soul and R&B of the Temptations or Marvin Gaye than listen to the 4 Tenors. So I guess I'd rather enjoy music that brings out feeling and emotion with a R&B flavor than enjoy the Philharmonic Orchestra performing classical masterpieces.

What you have described is not whether music is 'good' or 'bad' but whether it is enjoyable to you or not. The two are not neccessarily synonymous. Do you accept that there is such a thing as 'bad' music? If so, you how would you define what it is? By the way, I noticed the emoticon, please leave your love-life out of this discussion.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit