What is good and what is bad music?

by hillary_step 113 Replies latest social entertainment

• talesin
    talesin

African Music!

Talk about surviving the test of time ...

t

• trevor
    trevor

The difficulty is that if we are to make a judgement on a piece of music and separate its value, in terms of the pleasure it brings, from it’s technical merit, the word GOOD & BAD are simply not adequate.

To discuss colour (color) we need words other than BLACK and WHITE.

Things and people are referred to as Good and Bad depending on whether they conform the accepted standard at a given time. If the standard changes, then the opinion changes.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    African Music!

Talk about surviving the test of time ...

yes, indeed.

and in the end, i love it all. even Vivaldi's Four Seasons, or Greenday's American Idiot share a common musical ancestor with ancient music from africa.

the anthropological history of music is fascinating as well. like language, it's journey and history is so very exotic. and it's a marvel that our brains can appreciate it in the first place. i wonder if musical ability/appreciation homologously co-evolved with the human brain?

my dog stares blankly at any object from whence music pours. i wonder how an ancient man would react to Jay-Z? or Yo Yo Ma?

although it's probably indicative of my ability, my dog also howls when i practice the cello. he doesn't howl for the guitar or the violin. but the cello he howls for. i don't know much about the phenomenon, but it must have something to do with frequency.

to him, it's all bad, i'm sure. only kibble pouring into his metal bowl is music to his ears. so i guess he's an organic/metal fan?

• talesin
    talesin

Robins love AC/DC... I have proven it to my friends. Had two different robin friends, in different locations in the city, who would come around and sing back and forth with my Acka Dacka tapes. Especially the Maximum Overdrive soundtrack. :D So, a very unscientific study was connected,,, and I am satisfied that it supports my hypothesis ...

Also, my cats love Mozart ,,, I think they relate to his emotional vibes, as do I. It gets them very stirred up, racing around the house with their ears flat, looking around for the source when there is a light piano solo, the one that sounds kinda like running water in particular (no, I don't have the piece # on hand, but it's here somewhere).

lol !

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

LOL,

you give new meaning to the term Rockin' Robin. he he he

hilarious

TS

• lawrence
    lawrence

H.S.-

Forget it all - I PM'ed something to you to that extent. We should just be happy to be alive, free, and able to appreciate music - time for me to leave the board. Bad day - meds back, I'm cool. I apologize - it wasn't necessary.

peace and blessings

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine

The difficulty is that if we are to make a judgement on a piece of music and separate its value, in terms of the pleasure it brings, from it’s technical merit, the word GOOD & BAD are simply not adequate.

To discuss colour (color) we need words other than BLACK and WHITE.

Things and people are referred to as Good and Bad depending on whether they conform the accepted standard at a given time. If the standard changes, then the opinion changes.

Ooooooooo......You're in big trouble when hillary gets back!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Here you go, my favorite music I have currently on my hard disk. It's true genre is not the only important thing, all kinds of things play a part, even what you have been exposed to affects what you like, which is kind of weird don't you think? (listing removed)

• sixsixsixtynine
    sixsixsixtynine
    with regards good and bad music, i will only say that new music can only really be regarded as good after it has stood the test of time. some of it might be around for hundreds of years.

Sorry tetra, but I would have to disagree with that.

I'm a firm believer that if it's good, it's good(I've even used the term "instant classic" before, and meant it!)

ballistic- Thanks for posting your collection, it's interesting how heavily it's slanted towards UK artists(about 75%?).

But only because my own tastes lean towards the "Ameri-centric" end of the spectrum.

What'd you think of the recent Pink Floyd reunion?

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well, I have never thought about where the music comes from other than listening to distinctly "ethnic" music.

Is there really that much difference between US and UK music? It was an interesting observation on your part.

Other than the fact that a lot of it is "pop" which I guess means popular in the UK.

Pink Floyd, well, I have everything by them, my only regret is not seeing them live originally, if they get back together then good luck to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit