What is good and what is bad music?

by hillary_step 113 Replies latest social entertainment

• Preston
    Preston

I disagree, I think a music's greatness does depend on genre. It's like that scene in This is Spinal Tap! where they started to play Jazz music at a concert and everyone gavr them a "thumbs down" so I think respect for an audience is key. Other than that, I don't think there is one set codified standards in identifying what is good and bad music. I think the best music though is found in some of the most simple harmonies and chord progressions, the music of Phil Spector, Motown, The Clash, Nirvana, M. Ward....things along those lines.

- Preston

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I did'nt understand the words.......... but it has a nice beat and was easy to dance to. I'll give it a "80".

~Hill (old enough to remember "American Bandstand" class)

• minimus
    minimus

Bad music and good music is like beauty. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I remember when rap first came out, a music teacher snootily told me that she would not allow any rappin' in her class because it "wasn't music". I certainly disagreed with her although I knew what she meant. And music can be good or bad----DEPENDING upon whether YOU think it's good or bad. "Garage rock" in my humble opinion is not the greatest "music" but I wouldn't classify it as "bad music" just because I''m not partial to it. So once again, what someone could consider "bad music" could be "good music" to my ears. (For me, even music that I don't like for whatever reason---I wouldn't call bad music).

• minimus
    minimus

HS, I think you should check the following site out....bad-music.emptyhanded.com...........You'll enjoy a good Carol Burnett album and some music from one of the Starsky and Hutch actors.

• talesin
    talesin

If I'm reading you right, HS, even though bad music may be considered good art by some (ie, it moves people and they enjoy hearing it), technically it's still poorly written/performed/arranged (or whatever), and is, therefore, still intrinsically "bad music".

Most folks only listen to music, they neither compose nor study it. They are left to judge the music by its artistic value only (let's leave marketing aside for the purposes of this point, if you don't mind).

The only example I could think of, off the top of my head is, Neil Young. The man couldn't carry a tune in a bucket (well, a slight exaggeration, but you get my point). But, he is one of my favorite singers because of the quality of his voice, his passion and the emotions it evokes in me as a listener.

As far as qualifying, or describing, what is 'good' or 'bad', I will leave that to the experts. Having said that, what is your opinion? ;)

t

• minimus
    minimus

I think Neil Young has a horrible voice but I wouldn't say he sings bad music---not generally, just my type.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Talesin,

If I'm reading you right, HS, even though bad music may be considered good art by some (ie, it moves people and they enjoy hearing it), technically it's still poorly written/performed/arranged (or whatever), and is, therefore, still intrinsically "bad music".

Yes, you have summed up ny own and imho Ellingtons viewpoint perfectly.

Most folks only listen to music, they neither compose nor study it. They are left to judge the music by its artistic value only

That is true, but can a person who cannot speak a particular foreign language claim to understand its nuances just because they catch and understand the occasional word? I suggest that most people do not know what is good and what is bad music because they cannot speak the language of music, and if they did they would quickly discard what they have accepted as good music and move on to 'better' things.

Minimus,

I remember when rap first came out, a music teacher snootily told me that she would not allow any rappin' in her class because it "wasn't music".

Might it be that your snooty music teacher, who is trained in her subject, knows better than you who are not? As it is, I agree with her. Rap is not music in any conventional sense of the word, and will only survive as long as young people are its audience and fashion its master. It is the artistic equivalent of paint-by-numbers, with a switchblade and two gold teeth thrown in.

Best regards - HS

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, that is it, Min. He just has a horrible voice. That's more on point, think of "A Man Needs A Maid". Haunting because of his voice, I know for me it is musical greatness.

So there goes my analogy. Hahaha, I said I'd leave it to the experts!

• minimus
    minimus

You are a "snoot" too. A very narrow minded musical genuis, a true legend in your own mind.

• talesin
    talesin

HS

I suggest that most people do not know what is good and what is bad music because they cannot speak the language of music,

yes, agreed.

and if they did they would quickly discard what they have accepted as good music and move on to 'better' things.

most likely.

I would further suggest that the current mood of western culture (instant gratification) coupled with the growth of cultural empirialism, will ensure we won't see this happening on a mass scale anytime soon.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit