My daughter has a brain tumor :(

by outnfree 128 Replies latest watchtower medical

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

Sorry to hear about your daughter lesion, Brenda. I am praying for you. I know a really good neurosurgeon, he performed a bloodless operation to remove I believe 4 tumors from an elder in my old congo. I have conversed with the man on one than more occasion (he also owned a coffeehouse I used to work at) and I dont know how you would get a referral, but he travels quite a bit (He's from Crete, and his wife is Welsh). Not only is he a brain surgeon, but hes a really great guy too. He recieved his doctorate from Oxford, if that tells you anything, PM me and I will see if I can get his number. If I cant get his number, I can atleast tell you his name.

Let us know.

• Xandria
    Xandria

((Brenda and Family)):

Wishing and hoping the best to you and your daughter. It is scary to witness and go through things like this. We are with you on this journey and send our good vibes your way.

Xandria

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

(((((((((Brenda and Lena))))))))) I am so glad that you both have so much support. Brenda, this has to be a terrifying experience for you, for the whole family really, and I am so sorry that you're having to experience this but I am so proud of you for being able to express how you're feeling. It was wonderful being able to hear your voice and Lena's; I just wish there was more that I could do. The kids were happy to hear the positives and send their love and positive thoughts, as does Tracy. We're all of us keeping you and your family in our thoughts and hearts.

Love,

Dana

• simplesally
    simplesally

Glad that you posted to keep us updated. Hoping for a healthful outcome!

• outnfree
    outnfree

OK. I have a name. Lena has a "cavernous angioma." This is good. It is benign. It is genetic and has been with her for a long time. More information can be found at

http://www.emedicine.com/radio/topic95.htm

She has been given 7 days worth of steroids in addition to anti-seizure medication to help reduce intracranial swelling before the operation. The doctor will let her celebrate her 19th birthday on the 20th and will likely operate on the 21st (it's a Friday). We really liked the surgeon and were pleased to learn that the Hospital where he practices is one of US News and World Reports Best Hospitals for 2004. Also, most of what he told us this morning is in that article cited above, so there are no surprises.

She will need 2-4 weeks post-op in the hospital for recovery. She will likely not be able to attend her second semester of college (we will call down there tomorrow, this afternoon we are just exhausted from all the tension), and I will drop out of 3 of my classes as well. I think I may keep the one which is offered winter semester only because otherwise I will mess up my entire graduation plan timing-wise (which gets crucial when internship year rolls around).

Surgery will last 6-7 hours. That will be hell, but the success rate is 80-90% that she will come through with hardly any permanent brain damage. Because she is strongly left-handed and the tumor is on her left side, it appears that her speech center is likely to be active on the right side of her brain, which means speech loss should not be a post-op problem. Apparently, we are VERY blessed with this lesion's location. Phew!

Thanks again for the outpouring of love and concern. It means alot to both of us.

Brenda

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I'm very glad to hear this. I know there's a ways to go yet, but thank God it wasn't worse.

((Brenda)))

Chris

• Funchback
    Funchback

You and your daughter are in my thoughts!

Brian

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thanks for the update (((((((Brenda)))))))). This is sure good news, even though the op is not a pleasant prospect. Thinking of Lena and you.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Thanks for the update. Sounds like great news.

cj

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

That all sounds scary to a bloke like me. But as you say, doctors do this every day. So glad that progress is being made - thoughts and prayers are with you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit