We walked out of my mom's memorial service

by tyydyy 120 Replies latest jw friends

• Special K
    Special K

Now that's just cruel. but .. if you would have went to the reception they would have made you feel awful with the shunning.

Sounds like you had your own reception. showing love, respect and reminising about your mom and the times you spent with her. That's good.

Special K

• hubert
    hubert

I'm so sorry for your loss, Tim and family.

You did the right thing by leaving, and not making a scene. I don't think I could have done the same. I think I would be sharing a jail cell with "Wild Horses". I'm sure I would have flipped out, and broke my fist in the a__holes face that told me not to attend the reception. Excuse my french.

Hearing about what that did to her grandaughter brought me to tears. I have an 8 year old grandaughter, and would not have wanted this to happen to her. I'm sure she liked the private ceremony that you had for her grandma.

Hubert

• willyloman
    willyloman
    this situation happens only too frequently in an organisation that values dogma and rules over people and their feelings

It's amazing how often this forum produces a statement that succinctly tells it like it is. This is a keeper.

My heart goes out to the family that suffered from this despicable behavior. Your decision to go ahead and have your own memorial service speaks volumes about the love and respect you had for the deceased. Love and respect were missing ingredients at the KH.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I am so sorry. I totally understand. My grandfather passed away a year and half ago and my JW mother begged me to take her back to Canada for the funeral, after I paid all our travel expenses and got there I found out that I was only invited to the KH for the "talk" and then to the grave for the burial. My sister and I are both DF'd and we were literally told to leave our grandmothers house and when we refused (it was an outside BBQ) they all went inside. I am talking about 100 people, went inside the house and left us sitting outside on porch. They locked the house, they closed the blinds, and at that point I KNEW I was done.

As one of my best friends says "STICK A FORK IN ME - I"M DONE" and that was it. I never ever feel the need to go back. It's over for me.

It's amazing to me that these people actually think they have the "truth" and that God and Jesus would condone in fact reward their behavior. I think it's so laughable that they honestly believe in their sick and twisted way that they are doing God's will.

I am very sorry for you, but hope you understand how much better off you are to be out.

• Gill
    Gill

I'm very sorry for the loss of your mother and your terrible experience at JW hands but what you did was right and your memorial service was the best thing to do.

Well done for your courage!

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

Sorry to hear of your loss and how they treated you so cruelly. I would publish this to your community somehow. Letter to the editor or call the reporter for the religion section.

Sadie

• FMZ
    FMZ

Tyy:

Mate, I am sorry for your loss. The fact that these people did this to you is sickening, no-one has that right. But, it seems that you did very well in the circumstances, and is sounds like the memorial you had was much nicer than any one that the JWs could provide. Hope it provided the closure you needed. God bless, Tim.

Xena:

Explaining this kind of heartlessness to a kid is next to impossible, especially a good kid like B. Give her a hug from me, k?

FMZ

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

My sincere condolences regarding your mother's death.

Jehovah's Witnesses are, at times, the most cruel people alive.

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Thank you all for your love and support in this difficult time. The love I feel from you is a beautiful contrast to what I've seen from my JW siblings the last few days.

The last few days did have their beautiful moments. We did have almost two weeks to sit by her side and listen to her tell us what she wanted us to accomplish with our lives. Of course she wanted to see us in the paradise but she didn't get preachy. She kept telling us to go out and play. I told her: "Mom, I'm 40 years old. I don't go out and play." She kept saying that she wanted us to have a party and we honored that wish by having a celebration after our ceremony. I didn't get to bed til 3:30 last night.

We were able to be there for dad for the last couple of weeks in spite of our religious status. We held him. We cleaned their house. We sat with old friends and cried our eyes out. One of the most incredible experiences of the last two weeks was that we found my mom's brother. She hadn't seen or spoken with him in almost 30 years. He came to see here while she could still talk and smile and hold his hand. The beauty of that moment would compare to the wonders of the world. We found another of her siblings that couldn't make it but the other two were able to reunite over the phone. We've now reconnected with my mom's side of the family and will be planning a small reunion soon to get to know all the cousins and aunts and uncles we've never met. For this reason, I will always be able to look back on this and smile.

TimB

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

tyydyy and Xena, your private memorial sounds beautiful and meaningful, probably very unlike the one you had to walk out of. I'm so sorry to hear yet another example of Jehovah's Witnesses showing a complete lack of reverence for the Bible or its presumed author.

"True love throws fear outside" comes to mind. But these people prove repeatedly that they are full of fear and devoid of real love and fellow feeling. And if a funeral is not necessary family business, I don't know what is.

Take care and my warmest regards and condolences to you all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit