Being a JW Woman - Was It Really That Bad?

by eljefe 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis
    my wife says that the smartest woman will never be as good as the dumbest "baptized" male.......

not in the eyes of the org, which I assume you mean Bill..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• eljefe
    eljefe

You have no clue.

I'll take "A Clue" for $1000, Alex.

But seriously, I never went up to Sister Smith and asked "Do you feel that the Society treats women fairly?". Its not like The Bible is the textbook for Women's Lib.

• Valis
    Valis
    Its not like The Bible is the textbook for Women's Lib.

if you mean simply being treated as an equal by your spouse in all things, certainly not! As religion is one of the bigger aspects in most people's lives one would think it would count too, but no. Either the "Brothers" don't care or they are just all dumb as stumps.

Sincerely,

Distirct Overbeer

• eljefe
    eljefe

Maybe you didn't click on the link.

Women in the Quran
    Women in the Book of Mormon

My favorite:

2 Nephi 13:12 from the Book of Mormon

And my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they who lead thee cause thee to err and destroy the way of thy paths.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

The person that studied with me before I got baptised once told me that she knew that the bible was true, and the JWs had the true religion because of the way women were talked about in the bible.

Apparantly, having the Book of Ruth and Esther in there meant something.

I thought huh, interesting. At the time, I think she brought up the Muslim religion, and how women are not treated equally, etc...I thought to myself silently...hmmm, but we cannot be more than pioneers or missionaries, we cannot be like a nun in the catholic religion, we cannot be a priest or real minister like in many of the protestant religions....but I kept my mouth shut. I tried to buy that line for a while.

Basically, after a few years, I realized that I would never get married, and that I had better not die before the New System or I would never be able to get married...because there was NO WAY I would be able to be a good submissive dub wife, unless I married Antonio Banderas. I would have made concessions for Antonio.

This sister, I loved her dearly as much as my own fleshly sisters. Her husband, he, sigh, well he is a nice guy, but he would have frequent temper tantrums. So much of the responsibilities were left up to her. It took a drain. I don't know if they are still like that...I hope not.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Thanks Franklin for putting things in to a proper perspective, just had to add my two cents:

The glass ceiling; if not broken---will be very shortly.

At this moment Women make 70 cents to every Man's dollar. I experienced this first hand when I was working in the real estate business owned and opperated by men. A man who demands proper compensation for his skills is ambitious; a woman who demands proper compensation for her skills is a Bitch.

Btw, whoever said "when people ask 'were you an Elder or a Ministerial Servant', I say 'No, I 'm a woman' " I have to say AMEN!!

If I changed your diapers, and taught you how to read, don't you DARE tell me my skirt is too short, or I should spend more time in field service.

Apaga of the 'excuse me while I step outside to burn my bra' class :)

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

AfuckingMen Apaga!

Apaga of the 'excuse me while I step outside to burn my bra' class :)

excuse me while i step outside with her!

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

muah miss ya MaMa

• karategirl
    karategirl

My mother was in an abusive marriage for ten years. She frequently went to the elders and asked for permission to leave. She was told she could only leave for adultery. The only reason for separation was if her life was in danger or he was no longer caring for her basic needs such as starving her. So they worried about her dying of starvation but she had to have an attempt on her life before the abuse was bad enough to let her leave, TEMPORARILY. When she finally had the guts to leave, she died and on her death bed agreed to reunite with her husband to make sure Jah knew she was faithful to the end. CRAP!!!!

As a result, even after I was out of the borg, I married an abusive worldly man and still followed the same JW principles about it all. Used to tell myself if I was the best wife I could be and set a good example he would realize my value and change himself. CRAP!!!! Vomit!!!! Vomit!!!!

Oh and as to the equality in the workforce. The reason we have things like The Equal Pay Act and Title VII is because things are still not fully equal. A professor once told me in relation to minority classes, including women, is that we now have ACCESS due to legislation and education but OPPORTUNITY is still not there for many because the majority of those in power are still not minority members and still don't want to lose that hold. Although things are not as outrightly discriminating and biggotted (sp?), underlying stereotypes and asuumptions still exist.

My last boss, in a company where I was the only female manager (and made not only less than the market rate for my position but 30-50% less than other male managers), once told me that he gives raises to men whether they deserve them or not because they have families to support. I had just recently before this incident spent an hour arguing with him about my raise which was only 25% the amount the man received. He wasn't even a supervisor and had been with the company fewer years than me. Plus I was a single mom and he had a wife. When we had manager meetings most of the time he did not invite me, I would find out from other managers. then when I arrived he had started without me. My input was never asked for and my assigned tasks were always secretarial. When I interjected my opinion he was always shocked and ignored my comment. If I gave a good idea he never used it until a man later gave the same suggestion. Then he accepted it without question or supporting evidence.

We have come a long way baby but there is so much more road to cover. When will we see a woman in the white house for instance?

Oh and many of those nagging wives were a result of bitterness over their unfulfilled and unimportant existence. Many of them in cases I know usually were verbally and physically abusive to their children. They hate their lives but are trapped so they lock on to someone around them that doesn't fight back. Since they can't control their own life they control others. This exists even outside the borg.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

there was NO WAY I would be able to be a good submissive dub wife, unless I married Antonio Banderas

Eyebrow, I hear you. I always wanted to submit myself to his headship, too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit