"I noticed you are on a JW site, DID YOU KNOW I AM A JW?????"

by Jez 120 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jez
    Jez

I was at university the other night in the computer lab, cruising this site, well a fellow classmate who has been in my class since Sept and we have become friends, walks past, looks at the site I am on and says, "I noticed you are on a JW site, did you know I am a JW, are you one?"

I was shocked. I turned to him and let loose,

"No I am not a JW, but have many family members that are. I am concerned because so much of what I am reading tells me that they are a cult"

"Oh no (laughing) we aren't."

"Who says?"

"Why, (stammering)....

"I have been reading so many scary things about your religion. There is the date switching, 1914, 1975, etc"

"Oh no, that was cleared up."

"huh? but I have learned that the bible says a false prophet is a of the devil and for man to prophesy and then NOT have them come true is a sign of a false religion"

"We don't say the dates"

"ho ho ho but you do, here, let me show you actual articles from your religious magazines."

(I showed him some from this site. I used THIS site to give a 'witness'....lol...he was so nice still though but unsettled)

"and then there is the shunning that you practice...."

(we had a big discussion about that and whether or not it is biblical. I told him it was sick what JW do to families, he said...)

"It is really really hard to get df'ed nowadays. Your attitude has to be 'I don't care what you say, I won't talk to you, do what you want with me. But if you are sorry for what has been done, then you won't be disfellowshipped"

"ahhhhh but that is a lie. You have been fed wrongful information my friend. I know (wink wink) of someone df'ed bec they left an abusive relationship, JW hubby was jailed etc, they df'ed her when she finally met someone she loved and married him. Do you think that was fair? What about df'ing ppl that disagree with the teachings of JW, ones that change their mind about wanting to be a JW? They are not allowed, I think they are called 'apostates' or something like that"

"I don't know"

"You JW's always do that. Bury your head, I don't know it, or say it will be ok."

"But we are ordained ministers of God"

"WHO ordained you?"

"Our religion"

"Exactly, men, not God, not even the state! How long does it take you to get ordained?"

GET THIS! "4 years of rigerous studying"

(I hardly knew what to say) "But I have heard of children that are not even of legal age being baptised??"

"I am not saying that everything about our religion is right, it is still changing."

"Fair enough, but there seems to be some pretty big problems....hay, did you know about the UN scandal or the pedophile scandal in your religion"

"Um no."

"Let me enlighten you........." (Told him the stories)

"So you really believe that this organization, wait how many are you?"

"6 million"

"Ok, that 6 million will live forever, and billions will die....hah! There are more muslims in North America than JW in the whole world!"

"No we don't know who will be destroyed, some will, but not all, we don't judge"

"But my friend, you DO. But you absolve yourself of responsibility for your actions through denial. What is shunning then? Do you not clump all churches into one big 'false religion that will be destroyed' category? Do you even know exactly what the churches in your community do?"

"JW are world known for being the first ones to aid in any disaster"

"I have never heard of them doing that, but I hear of the Red Cross, The salvation Army, churches, and besides what does your church do for its local community anyways other than irritate ppl and sell mags and books?"

Anyways, it went on and on, I let him have it about all that I could think of in 1/2 hour. We discussed door to door work, what humanity means, the 2 laws that God summed the law into and said THIS is the whole obligation of man, the fact that the bible was written by MEN, how it is all about perspective, that JW are fed a negative view of the world so it is easy to believe that it needs to be destroyed, how long ago the bible was written, customs/traditions/holidays change etc.

Great discussion. I was reminded how naive they are and how little they know what is really going on in the world and their own religion. Unreal how selective information only is feed to them. I forgot how onesided it all is and I hope I reached him and planted a little seed of doubt. I was surprised how easy it was to pick apart his beliefs now. I have turned into the kind of person I use to dread meeting out in service!!!!!!!! I told him about this site, to check it out. I hope he does, he is a really nice man. Back in class, we were still talking and my other friend said, "Whats up?" He interrupted and said, "Don't ask, don't get her started on religion, she knows what she is talking about and can talk circles around you. (laugh laugh)"

This thought is to you _________, please think, examine and research. Love Jez

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Jez, I hope this person really checks this site. Maybe some of the stuff you mention will make him think for himself a little.

DY

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Good for you Jez, ya' got BIG ovaries!

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    "Don't ask, don't get her started on religion, she knows what she is talking about and can talk circles around you. (laugh laugh)"

Remember when the Witnesses used to claim that they were such great religious debaters?

Nice work, Jez! I hope something you said reached him.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

geez-louise!! she needs de-programming hella fast! i'm surprised she's even in college. shouldnt she be pioneering or in bethel or something?

laters

kaykay_mp

• formerout
    formerout

Jez,

Good job. Hopefully he did take some of it to heart. If he's at the Univrsity he must be living at least a little bit on the JW edge.

I live in London, Ontario. If you care to share the info (or in a PM) what part of Canada are you in?

Brad

• Swan
    Swan
    I was at university the other night in the computer lab, cruising this site, well a fellow classmate who has been in my class since Sept

I guess that's why they discourage higher education!

Tammy

• simplesally
    simplesally

Jez,

Just so you know, not all JWs who get df'd have that attitude he described. I begged and pleaded to not be df'd, said I was sorry and that certainly I was repentant. They were the ones who said me and my husband were not repentant. Not repentant even though the situation was cleared up and not repeated and not intentional....... fact was, we didn't tell them (and we did, they didn't DISCOVER anything) until 3 years later when we were having marital problems. So his bullshit about attitude is WRONG.

• Bubbamar
    Bubbamar

AWESOME JOB!!!

I sure hope you planted a seed.

Does he know JW's used to not be able to go to college? I am glad they changed it but it still pisses me off that I lost career time because of them. Can he explain exactly WHY they changed it. I mean, we were always told that it was pointless to go because armageddon was just around the corner and we needed to devote all of our time to kingdumb interests. So what exactly has changed?? Is armageddon no longer right around the corner?? Is it no longer important to devote all of ones time to kingdom interests??

Please invite him to join our discussion. I would love to hear his to response to my question. Is he willing to donate some money to my IRA fund since I'm so far behind.

Grrrr - I'm getting all mad again.

Jez - that was awesome - way to go!!!!!!!!!!

• freedom96
    freedom96

Interesting how the guy thought that they are the first to help in a emergency. Last I heard they locked the doors on 9/11.

I remember hearing how they actually don't help, because they feel the real help was letting them know about the "truth."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit